Can't Wait to See Geno's Rebuttal!! | The Boneyard

Can't Wait to See Geno's Rebuttal!!

Reaction Score
Like CEOs in a fortune 500 company, coaches have a million responsibilities. We all know what Geno has done at UConn is legendary. Why wouldn't we rank his exploits with the likes of Lombardi, Shula, Landry, Summit, Noll, the top 10 of all-time. The program is pure perfection. That's why I go to Philly every year to see them play Temple and I get there early so I can see everything including pre-game warmups.
Now, I left a couple of names off the list, like Knight, Coach K, Belichick, and Wooden. They also built stately programs, but I think they won/win under different situations, with varying strategies and types of personnel. You could deal these folks any hand in cards and they would figure out how to beat you.
I'm excited to see if Geno has a response to what is transpiring with this year's team.
Couple of musings from the peanut gallery. We didn't lose because of our shooting. We shot all game under duress. The offense IMO did not create open looks. We got nothing in transition. You have to rebound and get stops in order to run. Why is Collier at the high post well beyond shooting range handing the ball off to a teammate. That offense works when her defender follows her. Baylor's center was 20 feet off of her having a cup of coffee. Then when she cut off of it, the big girl picked her up. Silly stuff. We have to dribble drive and pitch, like teams have been doing since they pinned up the 1st peach basket. Crystal, Krystin, and even Pheesa can penetrate off the dribble and pitch to an open shooter. If nobody picks them up, they finish. Watch any NBA game. That's what they do. That's what Katie Lou can do. She cannot create her own shot! Stop thinking that she can!! (BTW Pheesa's J looks rough. Got to smooth out all those hitches. No time better than now. It can't get worse. Even missing FTs now. ) Geno's offense is predicated on cutting and screening, not so much dribble penetration. If the defense just packs it in and plays behind you with their size advantage, that offense doesn't work. I'm not sure Lou had an open look all night. I though she might start hoisting half-court shots.
Defensively, we are going to play a half-court game with a team that has us by 5 inches at the post positions. Do the math- a 6'2" defender cannot play behind a 6'7" post at the block. Seriously!! We have to make that entry pass more difficult. Bobby Knight, Coach K stuff- pressure the ball!!! Crystal can do that! Deny the wings!!!! The best players in the country can do that!! Front the post!!! Make them throw over top of you. (that pass is tough if you pressure the ball and deny the wings) Then slide the help over from the weak side. I saw Coach K beat Wake with Tim Duncan like that with some of his worst teams. I think Geno is stuck in the mindset that his players aren't quick enough to do this stuff. They're long at the very least. They can get in these passing lanes.
This is stuff of coaching legacy. Mt Rushmore stuff. Can UConn win with a solid team with grit, guile, tenacity.
John Wooden won with Keith Erickson (6'5") at the back of his legendary press when he won his first title. He won with Sidney Wicks (6'8") as his post against 7'3" Artis Gilmore. Knight won with Keith Smart and Steve Alford. Famously, Morgan Wooten's DeMatha team beat Power Memorial with Lew Alcindor.
Can't wait to see Geno's rebuttal!!! I want so bad to carve his face in my Mt Rushmore of coaches!

Reaction Score
DEFENSE with significant size with talent is near impossible to over come. Then too I'm sure, as most teams do, Baylor exceeded it's own Peter Principle. When you are blocked on every shot, mugged on every position, pushed around on defense it gets into your head. Those things that you normally do exceptional well; you can't do. In the old daze coaches told their players to chatter insults to the guy you are defending to get into his head--it worked. It's not imaginary, it's real. 5 against 15 is the improbable being impossible.
Uconn kids nor Geno are automatons, although some thought Phee was one, she and they just aren't automatons. The days of dialing in the numbers and walking away with a win ARE OVER. Other teams are good. Other coaches are good. Is Uconn done?? Hell no. If Geno can get some decent, not top number one, bigs/recruits you will smile all next year--if not, accept the reality.

Reaction Score
DEFENSE with significant size with talent is near impossible to over come. Then too I'm sure, as most teams do, Baylor exceeded it's own Peter Principle. When you are blocked on every shot, mugged on every position, pushed around on defense it gets into your head. Those things that you normally do exceptional well; you can't do. In the old daze coaches told their players to chatter insults to the guy you are defending to get into his head--it worked. It's not imaginary, it's real. 5 against 15 is the improbable being impossible.
Uconn kids nor Geno are automatons, although some thought Phee was one, she and they just aren't automatons. The days of dialing in the numbers and walking away with a win ARE OVER. Other teams are good. Other coaches are good. Is Uconn done?? Hell no. If Geno can get some decent, not top number one, bigs/recruits you will smile all next year--if not, accept the reality.
I like to watch how teams compete against each other. Adjustments that are made. Players stepping up. Superstar characteristics revealed. Role players contributing.
I hate this point of view, that oh well, it's not as easy as we thought, the girls aren't robots, we can't win them all... What does all that mean? I watch sports for the competition. Now I want to see how UConn will adjust to their revealed deficiencies.
Sorry, but size can be beaten and we have the ingredients to do it! We have basketball talent, which is much more involved than how tall you are. Sorry you're dead wrong.
We just have to blend those ingredients and come up with the right formula. That's why I watch the games.

Reaction Score
Sorry @MD#12Fan.....
if it is so easy....then why don't YOU just step up and take over a D1 team. I dare you.

Just a word of advice though: For everything your team tries to do, the OTHER team is trying to stop you. Give them some credit. IT ISN'T EASY.

Reaction Score
So, at what point do you ponder what you could have done differently to affect the outcome? When do you look inside and make adjustments? I would argue that the best players and coaches are able to adjust to conditions the fastest. Who said it was easy? I'm talking about GOAT stuff. Why can't these things be discussed on a blog site?
I don't need to acknowledge Baylor and that it's not that easy, etc. Just play! Do something about it! I love UConn and Geno, but I thought he did not do a great job the other night. I think he thought it was all about the shooting, and I don't. I'm entitled to that opinion.
I am pulling for this team to win a championship, whether it's easy or not and I think they need to make some adjustments if that is going to be a possibility.
Why can't that be the discussion?

Reaction Score
Sorry @MD#12Fan.....
if it is so easy....then why don't YOU just step up and take over a D1 team. I dare you.

Just a word of advice though: For everything your team tries to do, the OTHER team is trying to stop you. Give them some credit. IT ISN'T EASY.
Well said. Basketball would be an easier game if there were no opponents.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Like CEOs in a fortune 500 company, coaches have a million responsibilities. We all know what Geno has done at UConn is legendary. Why wouldn't we rank his exploits with the likes of Lombardi, Shula, Landry, Summit, Noll, the top 10 of all-time. The program is pure perfection. That's why I go to Philly every year to see them play Temple and I get there early so I can see everything including pre-game warmups.
Now, I left a couple of names off the list, like Knight, Coach K, Belichick, and Wooden. They also built stately programs, but I think they won/win under different situations, with varying strategies and types of personnel. You could deal these folks any hand in cards and they would figure out how to beat you.
I'm excited to see if Geno has a response to what is transpiring with this year's team.
Couple of musings from the peanut gallery. We didn't lose because of our shooting. We shot all game under duress. The offense IMO did not create open looks. We got nothing in transition. You have to rebound and get stops in order to run. Why is Collier at the high post well beyond shooting range handing the ball off to a teammate. That offense works when her defender follows her. Baylor's center was 20 feet off of her having a cup of coffee. Then when she cut off of it, the big girl picked her up. Silly stuff. We have to dribble drive and pitch, like teams have been doing since they pinned up the 1st peach basket. Crystal, Krystin, and even Pheesa can penetrate off the dribble and pitch to an open shooter. If nobody picks them up, they finish. Watch any NBA game. That's what they do. That's what Katie Lou can do. She cannot create her own shot! Stop thinking that she can!! (BTW Pheesa's J looks rough. Got to smooth out all those hitches. No time better than now. It can't get worse. Even missing FTs now. ) Geno's offense is predicated on cutting and screening, not so much dribble penetration. If the defense just packs it in and plays behind you with their size advantage, that offense doesn't work. I'm not sure Lou had an open look all night. I though she might start hoisting half-court shots.
Defensively, we are going to play a half-court game with a team that has us by 5 inches at the post positions. Do the math- a 6'2" defender cannot play behind a 6'7" post at the block. Seriously!! We have to make that entry pass more difficult. Bobby Knight, Coach K stuff- pressure the ball!!! Crystal can do that! Deny the wings!!!! The best players in the country can do that!! Front the post!!! Make them throw over top of you. (that pass is tough if you pressure the ball and deny the wings) Then slide the help over from the weak side. I saw Coach K beat Wake with Tim Duncan like that with some of his worst teams. I think Geno is stuck in the mindset that his players aren't quick enough to do this stuff. They're long at the very least. They can get in these passing lanes.
This is stuff of coaching legacy. Mt Rushmore stuff. Can UConn win with a solid team with grit, guile, tenacity.
John Wooden won with Keith Erickson (6'5") at the back of his legendary press when he won his first title. He won with Sidney Wicks (6'8") as his post against 7'3" Artis Gilmore. Knight won with Keith Smart and Steve Alford. Famously, Morgan Wooten's DeMatha team beat Power Memorial with Lew Alcindor.
Can't wait to see Geno's rebuttal!!! I want so bad to carve his face in my Mt Rushmore of coaches!
Well you are off on a few things. UCONN did get plenty of open looks. Shots didn't go in like they usually do. Granted there were not as many as we normally get, but we were playing a much better taller team. But none the less there were shots there to make.

Defensively we did pretty well. Kept a very high scoring team to 68 points. They shot under 45%.

I agree, we didn't get enough turnovers, or enough fast breaks. Credit Baylor on that.

Pretty simple though, if we'd have shot better, we'd have won.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

Spaces between paragraphs are underrated.

Reaction Score
Now, I left a couple of names off the list, like Knight, Coach K, Belichick, and Wooden. They also built stately programs, but I think they won/win under different situations, with varying strategies and types of personnel. You could deal these folks any hand in cards and they would figure out how to beat you.*

*Except when they lost.
Geno has a better winning percentage than any of these guys and I don't even need to look that up. If they're better coaches than him how did they lose more often?

Reaction Score
Wooden and Aurbach are the top 2 coaches of all time.

Period.

Reaction Score
I like to watch how teams compete against each other. Adjustments that are made. Players stepping up. Superstar characteristics revealed. Role players contributing.
I hate this point of view, that oh well, it's not as easy as we thought, the girls aren't robots, we can't win them all... What does all that mean? I watch sports for the competition. Now I want to see how UConn will adjust to their revealed deficiencies.
Sorry, but size can be beaten and we have the ingredients to do it! We have basketball talent, which is much more involved than how tall you are. Sorry you're dead wrong.
We just have to blend those ingredients and come up with the right formula. That's why I watch the games.

A winning streak of 126 regular season snapped by a Baylor team that was perhaps just a little better on that night. I don't know about you, to me the "we can't win them all" seems appropriate...unless you feel UConn SHOULD win them all.

Reaction Score
So, at what point do you ponder what you could have done differently to affect the outcome? When do you look inside and make adjustments? I would argue that the best players and coaches are able to adjust to conditions the fastest. Who said it was easy? I'm talking about GOAT stuff. Why can't these things be discussed on a blog site?
I don't need to acknowledge Baylor and that it's not that easy, etc. Just play! Do something about it! I love UConn and Geno, but I thought he did not do a great job the other night. I think he thought it was all about the shooting, and I don't. I'm entitled to that opinion.
I am pulling for this team to win a championship, whether it's easy or not and I think they need to make some adjustments if that is going to be a possibility.
Why can't that be the discussion?
While I would give a big "ditto" to your comments about Geno not doing much in game adjustment at Baylor, I have to go back to the early years when 2-4 losses were common. Geno typically did not change much in season, with the exception of the Tennessee games. By the time the NCAA's came about, he had a full understanding of his strengths and weaknesses and often changed things up. As a footnote, since UConn has been undefeated for so many seasons, understandable why Geno wouldn't change much. Suspect this will not be case in future.

Reaction Score
While I would give a big "ditto" to your comments about Geno not doing much in game adjustment at Baylor, I have to go back to the early years when 2-4 losses were common. Geno typically did not change much in season, with the exception of the Tennessee games. By the time the NCAA's came about, he had a full understanding of his strengths and weaknesses and often changed things up. As a footnote, since UConn has been undefeated for so many seasons, understandable why Geno wouldn't change much. Suspect this will not be case in future.
Great response! Thanks for that. That's the kind of banter that is stimulating!
100%
How about this? When a "corporation" gets too big and clunky, it can't respond quickly enough. A "smaller enterprise can. Have we gotten too big? How would the Geno of Rebecca Lobo days have responded?
Analogy alert: I worked in management at UPS in the late 80s/early 90s when Federal Express shook our world with their ability to track packages. We were still recording on paper. Well, eventually we caught up, but they put our ass on the canvas for a few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom