Can't wait til our 2013 recruiting class | The Boneyard

Can't wait til our 2013 recruiting class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Michigan ain't playing around. That's insane to have that many high profile kids committed that early. Hoke ain't no joke.

If by look like that you mean total number of players, we will probably get there. If you mean having that many four stars...... doubt its happening in 2013.

Reaction Score
It will never look like that. UConn doesn't have a large number of paying subscriptions to Rivals or Scout. I'm convinced if these guys were that good they'd have actual jobs in football. The star rankings matter when you're talking about the top 100 or so. After that it's pretty much for entertainment purposes only. Fans can clamor over signing the 235th ranked WR instead of the 240th. Ridiculous. I'll never pay to get recruiting news.

Reaction Score
It will never look like that. UConn doesn't have a large number of paying subscriptions to Rivals or Scout. I'm convinced if these guys were that good they'd have actual jobs in football. The star rankings matter when you're talking about the top 100 or so. After that it's pretty much for entertainment purposes only. Fans can clamor over signing the 235th ranked WR instead of the 240th. Ridiculous. I'll never pay to get recruiting news.

Sounds like something our former HC would say. While I agree to a certain extent, I think we go too far to the other side to dismiss them also at times.

These kids are attending more and more off season camps where they compete against one another and while its not the same as playing actual football games, against each other, I think you get some measure of a kid's athleticism and potential.

There has to be a happy medium. I think whoever is the coach at UConn has to start by keeping home the CT kids with multiple BCS offers. The excuses for letting CT's best get away have to stop.

Reaction Score

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
A 6'3" 255-lb "athlete"? Serious? That's like Dorin Dickerson plus 30 pounds.

Reaction Score
Yes. Let's set a goal of being like Michigan, so we have more reasons to search for blame when it isn't met.

Seriously, you think that all it takes is you setting forth what Michigan accomplishes for us to get there? You don't see a hundred institutional differences that makes it unlikely that we can recruit with them in our lifetimes?

BL, I agree with you about 95% of the time, but I think you are incorrect in these assessments. First, there are those who will assess "blame" to whomever for whatever with no thought of comparing a result to standards of any kind. Comparisons take time, and they're pissed now. Who needs the rational. It's more like "we lost a four-star from CT. Off with his/their heads."

Secondly. while I assume " hundred institutional differences" is hyperbole, (at least, I hope it is) can you list others that impress football recruits? I'll start. 1) University ranking, although UCONN has recently broken in to the top twenty. 2) Tradition, which I believe is becoming less-and-less important. To many of these kids, "tradition" equates to what pop-star recently wore what school's throwback jersey.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not a football recruit, but if the number one factor was University Ranking, the college football landscape would look wildly different today.

Reaction Score
BL, I agree with you about 95% of the time, but I think you are incorrect in these assessments. First, there are those who will assess "blame" to whomever for whatever with no thought of comparing a result to standards of any kind. Comparisons take time, and they're pissed now. Who needs the rational. It's more like "we lost a four-star from CT. Off with his/their heads."

Secondly. while I assume " hundred institutional differences" is hyperbole, (at least, I hope it is) can you list others that impress football recruits? I'll start. 1) University ranking, although UCONN has recently broken in to the top twenty. 2) Tradition, which I believe is becoming less-and-less important. To many of these kids, "tradition" equates to what pop-star recently wore what school's throwback jersey.

LOL. Ann Arbor versus Storrs. Michigan's population versus Connecticut's population. Quality of midwest HS football versus quality of northeastern high school football. On campus stadium versus off campus stadium. 110,000 person stadium versus 40,000 person stadium. Big Ten membership versus god knows what. Greater national television exposure. Perceived (and real) chance to play for Top Ten team or win a national championship. And, absolutely, history and prestige whether you pooh pooh it or not.

Is that enough for starters? Honestly, I'm not totally sure you're not pulling my leg with the question.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
LOL. Ann Arbor versus Storrs. Michigan's population versus Connecticut's population. Quality of midwest HS football versus quality of northeastern high school football. On campus stadium versus off campus stadium. 110,000 person stadium versus 40,000 person stadium. Big Ten membership versus god knows what. Greater national television exposure. Perceived (and real) chance to play for Top Ten team or win a national championship. And, absolutely, history and prestige whether you pooh pooh it or not.

Is that enough for starters? Honestly, I'm not totally sure you're not pulling my leg with the question.
And it's not like those are knocks on UConn. They are just the facts and reality that UConn faces when recruiting. We have to work harder to overcome those things.

Reaction Score
I understand that there are video games in which it is relatively easy to create a UConn program that surpasses Michigan. I wish those who played the video game recognized that, in real life, there are material impediments to doing so. Not beating them on the football field once, or a few times when they're struggling, but to really have a competitive program.

F

fortebleedsblue

I agree 100% .... Ann Arbor is another beast. I was just being wishful really. The city of Ann Arbor vs. Storrs alone is enough to end the discussion. I was blown away by my visit to Ann Arbor and the true campus feel. I couldn't really tell the difference between the city and the campus it’s so well meshed ... great bars and restaurants everywhere, and I'm not talking Teds/Huskies/the student union, their lay out with the massive stadium at the heart is amazing. There are sports fields everywhere for students and their football practice facility looks larger than ours. Students there actually have a life and I really hope that this downtown Storrs project starts to inject some 'umph' into Storrs. UConn can crack down on carriage house and spring weekend but give the students something to do .. become a more appealing/diverse environment. Now I have never been to Penn State and historically (snide marks aside) they have had a lot of success with their football program as a big 10 member. Yes, their stadium is on campus and their enrollment is greater than Uconn's .. but is there much of a difference between our two campuses?

What further steps can UConn take to head in that direction? Is it more about winning than building the campus/culture .. where should the focus start?

Reaction Score
I agree 100% .... Ann Arbor is another beast. I was just being wishful really. The city of Ann Arbor vs. Storrs alone is enough to end the discussion. I was blown away by my visit to Ann Arbor and the true campus feel. I couldn't really tell the difference between the city and the campus it’s so well meshed ... great bars and restaurants everywhere, and I'm not talking Teds/Huskies/the student union, their lay out with the massive stadium at the heart is amazing. There are sports fields everywhere for students and their football practice facility looks larger than ours. Students there actually have a life and I really hope that this downtown Storrs project starts to inject some 'umph' into Storrs. UConn can crack down on carriage house and spring weekend but give the students something to do .. become a more appealing/diverse environment. Now I have never been to Penn State and historically (snide marks aside) they have had a lot of success with their football program as a big 10 member. Yes, their stadium is on campus and their enrollment is greater than Uconn's .. but is there much of a difference between our two campuses?

What further steps can UConn take to head in that direction? Is it more about winning than building the campus/culture .. where should the focus start?
Kick their next year!!!!!!

F

fortebleedsblue

Kick their next year!!!!!!

It would make my life, especially after UM friends laughing at the thought of playing us last time. This won't be the same weak Michigan that we saw under RR, who BTW handled us. Its is a legit national title contender program again with elite talent joining under a coach that has clearly knows his x's and o's. Under HCPP UConn needs to stay competative with Western Michigan before it starts talking about handling Michigan.

Reaction Score
It would make my life, especially after UM friends laughing at the thought of playing us last time. This won't be the same weak Michigan that we saw under RR, who BTW handled us. Its is a legit national title contender program again with elite talent joining under a coach that has clearly knows his x's and o's. Under HCPP UConn needs to stay competative with Western Michigan before it starts talking about handling Michigan.
Yes you are correct, but that is the step that we have to take.

Reaction Score

Having fun, but not at your expense. There are, however, those whose reaction to the logical is that old standby, the irrational.

Reaction Score

I hate making excuses but that game had the deck stacked against us from the word go. Their opening day, who's going to play QB for them? Lol that was a great ace in the hole for them.... Like they didn't really know! The dagger I thought was when the had the paraplegic "walk" on the field to lead them out. Holy crap there's no competition to that. just crazy energy there. Though I sigh when I think that it's probably always that crazy there. Far cry from our muted sit on your hands, maybe make it in for the second quarter crowd.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Carl Spackler needs to come in here and tell us all how the new big east will blow past the big ten shortly because of the vital Boise tv market.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I saw over 10,000 fans (maybe 20K) leave the Big House way before the game was over. Who would want to play in front of so many people that don't support their team?

Reaction Score
Carl Spackler needs to come in here and tell us all how the new big east will blow past the big ten shortly because of the vital Boise tv market.
Actually, not only has Boise become somewhat of a "national" brand, it also gives the Big East eyeballs on the west coast. Its not just the Boise market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom