Can't wait for the season to start | The Boneyard

Can't wait for the season to start

Reaction Score
Here's my take on the UCONN football season: The team is going to be better. Last year was absolutely the worst. But, Randy Edsall inherited nothing. Between the two of them, the previous two coaches devastated the program. Especially, PP. What a mess. Yeah, Randy shouldn't have left OR shouldn't have left the way he did-I hated him for that. But, he came back. He apologized and he is trying to fix a broken plane 'in flight'. How tough can that be in FBS these days. He will do it. I am anxious to see next week mostly to see where we are. UCONN was and is committed. The old AD (JH) trashed the program when he hired the first replacement-what a joke. But, they are committed. Let's go out there and do our part for the team. So, how many wins? I am guessing 3. If they are better, more competitive and stay in the games they should be in, I'm a happy camper. At this point, I think that is what we should expect. Seriously, I like the idea that they are going to be independent. The American diluted the Brand and chewed up too many games with teams no body wanted to see.,

Reaction Score
Edsall has had to rebuild the roster from ground up. I think we are starting to see his efforts pay off. We seem to have more depth, although this is still a very young team. May not translate to a great season in terms of wins and losses, but the program appears to be on the right track and this should be a much more competitive season.

Reaction Score
Having expirenced LB play will definitely be a step up. It’s funny how BD was supposed to be defensive minded but didn’t recruit many strong defensive players. Go Huskies!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As far as football is concerned, I question that the AAC diluted the brand - it is a darn good football conferenced as well as baseball
Everywhere else in the sports arena it is not appealing at this point in time as well as being a geographical nightmare.
I am hoping for a minimum of 3 wins but most importantly I want to see competitiveness

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Here's my take on the UCONN football season: The team is going to be better. Last year was absolutely the worst. But, Randy Edsall inherited nothing. Between the two of them, the previous two coaches devastated the program. Especially, PP. What a mess. Yeah, Randy shouldn't have left OR shouldn't have left the way he did-I hated him for that. But, he came back. He apologized and he is trying to fix a broken plane 'in flight'. How tough can that be in FBS these days. He will do it. I am anxious to see next week mostly to see where we are. UCONN was and is committed. The old AD (JH) trashed the program when he hired the first replacement-what a joke. But, they are committed. Let's go out there and do our part for the team. So, how many wins? I am guessing 3. If they are better, more competitive and stay in the games they should be in, I'm a happy camper. At this point, I think that is what we should expect. Seriously, I like the idea that they are going to be independent. The American diluted the Brand and chewed up too many games with teams no body wanted to see.,
That’s a great synopsis of how I’ve felt too. Randy WILL fix things, I’m sure of it. And get, if not, screw it! UConn vs. The Nation baby!!!!

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
This guy gets it. 3 wins with some competitive losses will be a good step forward for the program this season. A healthy dose of realism with a sprinkle of preseason optimism. This team is the start of a new era of UConn football... this is the last time we say, "It can't get any worse than last year."!

Reaction Score
I wish I shared everyone's optimism. Better than last year? We almost have to be. That was as poor a team as I have ever watched (or tried to watch) in any team sport. But it was so awful, I'm not at all confident that the road just back to not being terrible isn't a long and winding one.

We will start learning answers a week from tomorrow. Unfortunately, given the opponent, no good answers will come out of that game. Winning by 30 won't tell us anything. Only bad answers can come out of that game.

Reaction Score
My heart tells me over 3 games. I’m all in with these guys and Randy. I think teams will overlook us. Our defense will bet better (can’t get any worse) and our offense will have to gel together. Beaudry will be hungry and is a good leader on and off the field.

Reaction Score
When this weather front moves through and the air gets crisp and cool on Friday, the heart will start to beat a little faster. Hope springs eternal with a week to go.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if the game is going to be on SNY? I was seeing stuff on twitter and it made it seem like it would only be broadcast on ESPN3.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, given the opponent, no good answers will come out of that game. Winning by 30 won't tell us anything.
Really Biz? This team couldn’t beat anyone for two years. They’ve been demoralized and marginalized. This is a better team—stronger, more experienced and more talented, even at QB (yes, you read that right). We have better coaches and a will to achieve like I haven’t seen the past few years. (Yes, I know I’m an optimist). You can’t tell me that if we come out and put a whoopin on Wagner these players won’t be sky high psyched. They first need to believe they can win. That starts with Wagner and builds from there.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Really Biz? This team couldn’t beat anyone for two years. They’ve been demoralized and marginalized. This is a better team—stronger, more experienced and more talented, even at QB (yes, you read that right). We have better coaches and a will to achieve like I haven’t seen the past few years. (Yes, I know I’m an optimist). You can’t tell me that if we come out and put a whoopin on Wagner these players won’t be sky high psyched. They first need to believe they can win. That starts with Wagner and builds from there.

Didn't you say the same exact things when they couldn't beat anyone? I think you did.

Reaction Score

Might it help them emotionally? Sure. But our problem the last three years has not been primarily players thinking they couldn't win. It's primarily been not having players good enough to win.

I hope we're much better. But Wagner is so far below the level of FCS teams we've been playing there is nothing to learn. When we beat 'Nova on our way to 6-6, I was happy just to win because I thought that was a very good FCS team. Beating Wagner is like beating Sacred Heart. Good for the players if they have fun with it, but it won't effect rational analysis of our situation.

Reaction Score
Might it help them emotionally? Sure. But our problem the last three years has not been primarily players thinking they couldn't win. It's primarily been not having players good enough to win.

I hope we're much better. But Wagner is so far below the level of FCS teams we've been playing there is nothing to learn. When we beat 'Nova on our way to 6-6, I was happy just to win because I thought that was a very good FCS team. Beating Wagner is like beating Sacred Heart. Good for the players if they have fun with it, but it won't effect rational analysis of our situation.

The major problem with the team is that have had coaches whose priority was NOT winning.

Reaction Score
I wish I shared everyone's optimism. Better than last year? We almost have to be. That was as poor a team as I have ever watched (or tried to watch) in any team sport. But it was so awful, I'm not at all confident that the road just back to not being terrible isn't a long and winding one.

We will start learning answers a week from tomorrow. Unfortunately, given the opponent, no good answers will come out of that game. Winning by 30 won't tell us anything. Only bad answers can come out of that game.

I respectfully disagree here. One, you have to play the teams on your schedule. But more importantly, you can definitely gauge a team’s level of competitiveness no matter who they’re playing. One thing we must learn- that we have to be better than Wagner for starters (I know. Obvious)

But a convincing double digit win tells us a lot in my opinion. We have to show that we have superior talent than this lower end FCS team.

Reaction Score

Wagner may be weak, but I expect a far better result than we saw two years ago against an also weak Holy Cross team. If we struggle to win or have to change QBs in mid-stream just to pull out a win, then it will be more of the same. I expect a sound thrashing that will at least put the boys in a much better frame of mind than they took into game 2 of that season against UVa (with an intervening hurricane delay of the USF game to further foul things up).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Direct conflict with Cubs-Mets game.

A very annoying conflict - why the mets are playing a Thursday getaway game at 7PM, I'll never know... (not really, it's all about $$$)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom