Can't Shoot, Can't Win | The Boneyard

Can't Shoot, Can't Win

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Simple as that.. can not hide the fact this team shoots poorly. They can get away with it versus the Colgates of the world but against quality teams like tonight, this will be exposed all year long. Terrible!

Reaction Score
Simple as that.. can not hide the fact this team shoots poorly. They can get away with it versus the Colgates of the world but against quality teams like tonight, this will be exposed all year long. Terrible!
This team (MSU)is beyond quality. They are an easy top 5 and title favorite. Relax.

Reaction Score
Ollie’s biggest coaching deficiency in my mind is his offensive game plan, the ball movement always lacks & there is always way too much one on one offense. I understand it works when you have Kemba & Napier, but they also had a lot of knock down shooters around them.

This game was good for us, I am extremely happy with our start, really awesome!!

I like this team & I like how they scrap, I understand they hung their heads a bit in the last few mins, but Winston who never ever even scores 15 went crazy & hit every shot.

Reaction Score
Simple as that.. can not hide the fact this team shoots poorly. . . . Terrible!
Dislike your post.
We played a very, very good team tonight. You will ALWAYS struggle with shooting when you play great teams. They are top-ranked BECAUSE they have the athletic talent to shut you down. 22 struggled to find his shot early on. Got blocked by a larger, quick defender on one fade away. MSU is very good.
Our team is solid. Not top 10, and we won't be through the rest of the year.
But top 25?
Yes. We should finish in the top 25.
And that, for this year, would be a success.
"Maintain Equanimity, Always." TJ.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
It's not that they are horrible shooters, if given an ample amount of space, I'm confident the % would increase. However, the offense we reluctantly run, forces us to make contested shots. It's hard enough for NBA dudes to do so, let alone asking kids a couple months out high school to do the same.

Reaction Score
Two flaws: Lack of consistent outside shooters and lack of an offensive inside game from our bigs. Forces UConn to become dribble penetrate type of team.

Reaction Score
About 60% of our poor shooting is not getting easy shots. It's amazing that Larrier made those 2 quick 3's in the 2nd half when he was wide open on both.
You are never going to get easy open shots playing one on one basketball. Did Jalen or Gilbert ever penetrate and kick the ball back out to the perimeter for an open three? This team sucks at team fundamentals, and that's all on the coaches. Everyone needs to get involved on the offensive end of the floor with crisp passing, for a team to gel, the coaches need to teach that in practice. Simple reason we don't make a lot of assists is because nobody passes on this team.

Last edited:

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Dislike your post.
We played a very, very good team tonight. You will ALWAYS struggle with shooting when you play great teams. They are top-ranked BECAUSE they have the athletic talent to shut you down. 22 struggled to find his shot early on. Got blocked by a larger, quick defender on one fade away. MSU is very good.
Our team is solid. Not top 10, and we won't be through the rest of the year.
But top 25?
Yes. We should finish in the top 25.
And that, for this year, would be a success.
"Maintain Equanimity, Always." TJ.
Ok, I will take my ball and go home.. dislike all you want, its the truth.. yes MSU is a great team but if you can't shoot and shoot consistently, driving to bucket is only going to go so far, especially against teams who are half decent, which are most D1 teams.. not a top 25 team, sorry

Reaction Score
We aren't a good shooting team, Larrier & the Guards can hit open 3's but nobody on the roster is a sharpshooter unfortunately. We have no inside offensive presence right now, maybe Carlton gets there eventually but right now the best offense is good defense & the guards driving to basket or spotting up open 3's.

The team will be exposed against top 10 teams.....the hope is to notch 2-3 more quality non-conf wins (Ark, Cuse, Az, Aub, Nova) & win 12+ AAC games. Hopefully by February we are a better shooting team and have some inside game develop and we make some noise & put UConn back in the national conversation.

Reaction Score
Two flaws: Lack of consistent outside shooters and lack of an offensive inside game from our bigs. Forces UConn to become dribble penetrate type of team.

That pretty much sums up our offense. It can work against some teams, but against long quick and athletic teams, especially in the front court, we are going to struggle. Good D and much better ball movement will be needed if we are to beat these teams.

Reaction Score
You are never going to get easy open shots playing one on one basketball. Did Jalen or Gilbert ever penetrate and kick the ball back out to the perimeter for an open three? This team sucks at team fundamentals, and that's all on the coaches. Everyone needs to get involved on the offensive end of the floor with crisp passing, for a team to gel, the coaches need to teach that in practice. Simple reason we don't make a lot of assists is because nobody passes on this team.
Agreed even if the guy in the post doesn’t score he needs the ball to help move the defense. You can also use cutters off the post to free up our scorers. The ball gets stuck with three guys consistently with the other two trying to screen or are just watching.

Also dribble penetration consistently results in a shot. No one is taking what defense gives them and passing to open player or dropping it to a big off the defense collapsing. We need a point guard who can make others around them better not just three scoring guards. Only one I have seen do this with any consistency is Anderson.

Reaction Score
I actually thought the offensive game PLAN wasn't bad yesterday, but MSU just took us out of our rhythm--they're that good.

Driving and drawing fouls to keep they're top players out, limiting possessions, are all really smart things to do against a team you know is more athletic and talented.

The last 8 minutes was a result of their athleticism taking over.

I was VERY impressed by the dogs last night. 5 games into the season, with only ONE returning starter, we held out our for 32 minutes against a final 4 favorite.

Explain to me how we can be complaining right now?

Reaction Score
Poor ball movement leads to poor shot selection and shooting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep, we are a flawed team. We have inexperienced bigs. We rely on dribble penetration. If you needed the Mich. St. loss to find this out, you haven't been paying attention.

We are young. Except for Jalen our players are new or coming back from from injury. Did you expect us to run the table?

We are 4-1. We have three players who are consistent threats. Our cobbled together front court is showing promise. We have some young bigs (Carlton and Polley) who look like they will give us the front court presence we've been missing for years.

I'm sorry I changed my the saying under my avatar which was "Relax everything is going to be alright; sit back and enjoy the ride" because that is prescription for this season. If you demand your college teams go undefeated, feel free to check out now. But for the rest of us, we have a team that competes and should only get better as the season progresses. "Sit back and enjoy the ride."

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Most other teams won't be as strong defensively as MSU. Still, I'd like to see some more team ball on offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom