Cano to Seattle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tough break for the Yanks. They only signed 2 out of the best 3 free agents.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
F'im. We got Kelly Johnson!

Reaction Score
It's a head scratcher to me. He went for the money and I don't begrudge that, except that it's freakin' Seattle where no one will see him play outside of the Northwest. Boy, Jay Z"s lines "I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can" and "I bleed blue" sure sum up the hypocrite he really is. He'll be dead to Yankee fans. Period.

Reaction Score
Smart move by the Yankees to stay away from that huge contract. For Seattle, not so smart. They will love him for the next few years but when he gets older, that will be a huge albatross for them. If MLB cooperates and dumps Arod for all or part of the next few years, the Yankees have money to spend. Look for them to go hard after Tanaka now.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Sucks to see him go but after ARod, 10 year contracts scare the bejesus out of me.

Reaction Score
Smart move by the Yankees to stay away from that huge contract. For Seattle, not so smart. They will love him for the next few years but when he gets older, that will be a huge albatross for them. If MLB cooperates and dumps Arod for all or part of the next few years, the Yankees have money to spend. Look for them to go hard after Tanaka now.

Yankee fans are hoping and praying the Arod contract comes off the books. I am not so sure the players association or MLB will allow it to happen that way. Its a get out of jail free card for the Yankees, richest team in baseball, and allows them a do over for the worst contract in professional sports. If baseball allows that there will be outrage from a majority of owners and baseball franchises. Baseball is already an uneven playing field where the Yankees are numero Uno and then after them comes the dodgers, angels, sox and chicago and then comes the rest of baseball.

You cant allow the Yankees to avoid a hit to the jaw because they knowingly signed a dirty player. Its not right for baseball or the fans.

Seattle has a new TV deal that starts next year and will pay them $2 billion over the next 17 years (they wanted to make a splash). Awful contract to hand out but it looks like they are trying to win now while they still have King Felix just dont think they have enough.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ten years?!

Holy crap.

Hard to say if it's a bad deal or not - if Seattle has the cash and it doesn't keep them from doing what they have to down the road, it'll work.

Someone who might have had a really bad day today...Scott Boras.

Jay Z's outfit hit this one out of the park and with his profile, this might pull him some major business.

Reaction Score
Seattle can be a great place if the team is doing well: Seahawks, Sounders (44K/game for MLS!), Mariners of 10-15 years ago, and a nice home on Puget Sound will work for him too.

Reaction Score
Well that leaves a huge hole in the middle of the lineup and the infield. There is nobody out there who can replace Cano's numbers and defense. They should have signed Granderson. At least he can provide some power against RH pitchers.

Reaction Score
You can kind of look at it like a trade of Cano for Ellsbury and McCann. When you look at it that way---it is not bad.

Maybe move Jeter to 2B and use Ryan at SS?

They really need Teixiera to becoem Teixiera again...

Reaction Score
You can kind of look at it like a trade of Cano for Ellsbury and McCann. When you look at it that way---it is not bad.

Maybe move Jeter to 2B and use Ryan at SS?

They really need Teixiera to becoem Teixiera again...

Beltre on 3rd and Phillips on 2nd - watch!

Reaction Score
Basically there's a ton of money in the coffer now. Kuroda will sign soon,Tanaka which looked like a no go is on, Choo is the next target (which doesn't look good for Gardner), and the Yankees are going to fill their needs and move on from the Seattle signing. They need a power hitter now, and they're going to address that.
This is all being done prior to the Winter Meetings which start next week.I'm getting excited.
Free Agents, trades, you name it. The bank is open in the Bronx.

Reaction Score
Basically there's a ton of money in the coffer now. Kuroda will sign soon,Tanaka which looked like a no go is on, Choo is the next target (which doesn't look good for Gardner), and the Yankees are going to fill their needs and move on from the Seattle signing. They need a power hitter now, and they're going to address that.
This is all being done prior to the Winter Meetings which start next week.I'm getting excited.
Free Agents, trades, you name it. The bank is open in the Bronx.

Yes with Choo gone no matter the Yanks can offer Gardner as the replacement for Phillips.....

Reaction Score
Interesting stuff coming out that NY apparently thought all along that they'd lose Cano, hence the McCann and Ellsbury signings. Cano wouldn't budge on $ or years (he offered NY a paltry $5 million last minute "discount.") There never was any real negotiation, in that both sides never sought a middle ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom