Candace Parker and LA SPARKS | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Candace Parker and LA SPARKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The discussion about great players who "make others better" or not never ends and never finds unanimity of opinion.

Many great, HoF players never got a championship. Names that leap to mind are Ted Williams, Ernie Banks and Dan Marino. There were dozens of others in all sports.

The question is, did they come up short because they didn't elevate the play of their teammates.

Let's stick to basketball because alone of major sports (ok, hockey too) players must play offense and defense and interact with teammates on the fly.

Arguably, the player who most elevated others had to be Bill Russell. Certainly Jordan and Magic are right up there but there is a reason that Russ has more rings than both of them -- combined! He actually inspired his teammates.

At the other extreme is Oscar Robertson. He had an illustrious career, averaging (per game) 42+ minutes, 25.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 9.5 assists. Yet he played on only one championship team.

The greatness of Parker and Catchings cannot be questioned, yet both are still chasing their first WNBA ring. Other players of comparable or even lesser skills seem to reel them in. (We know some quite well heh heh.)

The argument -- who elevates the play of their teammates, or fails to do so --will forever outlast "last call" at bars and exhaust callers to talk shows and posters on message boards.

Have at it.

Championships absolutely matter in basketball and for the quarterback position in football. Baseball players get a pass because the structure of the game prevents the best players from having more opportunities to produce. No matter how good a batter is, he only gets one at bat out of nine. A great basketball player gets more touches.

Marino is an interesting case study because he played on some teams that would have been atrocious without him, and yet he made the playoffs year in and year out. He never had a good supporting running game, never had great receivers, never had a badass defense. I think if you put Joe Montana on the Dolphins, he doesn't have a Superbowl either. Put Marino on the 1980s 49ers, he probably doesn't get the four that Joe did, but he does have a ring.

With basketball, the best player on the floor has the ability to impact how the game is played, how engaged his/her teammates are, how s/he enables her teammates or just goes for his/her own stats, etc. As such, when you don't have a ring, it's fair to be criticized. The Big O was a perfectionist and fiercely competitive. He was also bitter as a result of the racial discrimination he dealt with in his life. All of these qualities made him a difficult teammate by all accounts, in spite of his brilliance. He ultimately did get one ring, but that was when he was teamed up with Kareem. Because of the Celtics dyansty and Wilt being too good not to win at least a championship or two, Oscar and Jerry West tend to get a pass for getting squeezed out. In the WNBA, however, no team has been a dynasty since the early days of the Houston Comets. It stands to reason, then, that great players will find their way to the championship podium at some point. Candace is young enough that I'm pretty confident she'll get there. She's had injuries and a young child to deal with in her scant years as a pro, too. At some point, it will come together for her/her team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Russ, Diana and Maya are among those who moved a little faster.

Parker simply isn't surrounded with the same talent that those players were. Put Augustus and Whalen on the Sparks team and guess who wins. Not saying Maya is not great but she had the good fortune of going to a team that did not need her to bring out greatness in others. Her situation can hardly be compared.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting discussion - I agree that BB is the easiest 'team' sport to evaluate the 'chemistry' equation of players because of the number of players on the floor and the number of touches per game - ice hockey is probably the next easiest for the same reason.
I do think centers, point guards, and point forwards (ala Larry Bird/Maya) have the easiest route to being seen as 'making their teammates better'. Lauren Jackson and Candace Parker are both great players, but neither one gets seen in this light which may be a little unfair. They certainly both demand extra attention from defenses which makes the rest of the team better, but because they are the finishers for their teams the credit goes elsewhere. Defensively while they may sometimes play at center, it isn't their natural position and they are not strong enough to be the true center of their respective defenses.
And good point re Parker's injuries/motherhood which have cut a few years out of her pro career early.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think it's also harder to "make other players better" if you're a post player... Such a different role v. guard.

As for the Whalen v. Parker "lovefest." Meh - Parker was amazing, and she was an LA player. Maya was amazing, and she was a Minny player.... Whalen got her love ("back to the basket guard). I was more impressed with this CP performace v. her performance over an overmatched French team (or Tina's performance over an over-matched Louisville team).

I'm rather fond of all three teams left -- really want Douglas and Catch to get rings.... Though I'd get a kick out of Erin getting one! Yah, like anyone saw HER career coming!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I think it's also harder to "make other players better" if you're a post player... Such a different role v. guard.

As for the Whalen v. Parker "lovefest." Meh - Parker was amazing, and she was an LA player. Maya was amazing, and she was a Minny player.... Whalen got her love ("back to the basket guard). I was more impressed with this CP performace v. her performance over an overmatched French team (or Tina's performance over an over-matched Louisville team).

I'm rather fond of all three teams left -- really want Douglas and Catch to get rings.... Though I'd get a kick out of Erin getting one! Yah, like anyone saw HER career coming!

I grant you Parker is amazing. I'm bothered by what seems a WNBA or ESPN "plot" to promote her, and, in so doing, others
get little. I admit I am not relying on a scientific content analysis, just my ears hearing so much profuse praise instead of calling the game.

Reaction Score
This is the big question mark for Minny next year.

Taj has been a bit up and down in the post season, but in numerous games her contributions have been priceless. Last year, Adair was really starting to play well and was a force off the bench. Amber is always a little more of a question mark but despite limited minutes she has been fairly effective of late. Dev is good but does not have the length to bother the top forwards like Parker, who is 6'4".

Adair *has* to return to form next year for the Lynx to be a contender because I am pretty sure Taj is gone, as you pointed out. Even then Taj's departure is a huge loss. If Amber can figure some things out and play with more fire on the defensive end, then Minny will have as good a shot as anyone next year. She just needs to do more of the basics: boxing out, hands up for rebounds, hands up to block shots, etc. Battle for putbacks and finish. Unfortunately (as far as Minny's team needs are concerned) she looks like she would rather try to be the next DeWanna Bonner ...;)

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but it looked like Amber was getting fitter...if so, that's a good sign!

Reaction Score
"Making others better" seems to me to be a lazy cop out analysis, especially if it's not followed up by specific examples of how or where or when the player did or didn't do it. Much less of an analysis of the players AROUND said players.

In this game, Parker had a double-double in the first half, shot over 50%, including 50% from beyond the arc. She played all 40 minutes. She had 5 assists. Toliver shot 50%. Nneka shot over 50%. They holy carp stat? Her bench played 27 minutes and shot o-for-3.

Beard was the "weak link "THIS game - if you look at her turnovers and shooting %. But, if you've followed her pro career, you know what an amazing season she's had.

Minny was one point better than LA -- that's a combo of youth, skill and bench play, and not necessarily superior defense throughout the game: LA shot 46.7% and Minny 47.1% - The difference was their defense on Beard that last play -- and it was great defense.

LA needs better bench folks. We'll see if Ross can dig some up...

I still think the Tulsa coach K was the COY.

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! And that's just for the comments that are not bolded. Beyond excellent for the bolded comments.

Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if Minnesota makes a trade for a true center. They have a surplus of bench players (Wiggins, Wright, Peters, Harris) who would be playing more minutes on another team. It would surprise me if they don't trade for a Big. With Taj gone, who do they have who could defend Fowles, Griner, or Charles?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I grant you Parker is amazing. I'm bothered by what seems a WNBA or ESPN "plot" to promote her, and, in so doing, others
get little. I admit I am not relying on a scientific content analysis, just my ears hearing so much profuse praise instead of calling the game.

The WNBA is a tad short on players with superstar potential. Parker has the game, the looks, is married to an NBA player and is a mother. So she gets marketed heavily. It's no surprise. The league needs big personalities and so many of the great players lack charisma, like Parker and DT have. Angel may be a head case at times but boy does she make it worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom