Canadian U19 National Team Aaliyah Edwards as "shooting guard" | The Boneyard

Canadian U19 National Team Aaliyah Edwards as "shooting guard"

Reaction Score
I believe that this is CURRENT information. It is from the CANADIAN WOMEN's
NATIONAL TEAM web page ( today, May 24, 2021). Go to ROSTER / TEAM and hit U19
Being born in July 2002 Aaliyah appears to be the youngest on the team
(by a few months). Merissah Russell , 5'11" from Louisville, is a "forward" and
Brynn Masikewich , 6'3" from UCLA, is a "power forward". Other players are from Virginia
Commonwealth, Long Beach State, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Purdue,
Gonzaga, U of Florida, U of Utah, and Wake Forest.
Interesting when USA U19 plays Canada U 19!!
Congrats to Aaliyah, GO UCONN!! Z

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I believe that this is CURRENT information. It is from the CANADIAN WOMEN's
NATIONAL TEAM web page ( today, May 24, 2021). Go to ROSTER / TEAM and hit U19
Being born in July 2002 Aaliyah appears to be the youngest on the team
(by a few months). Merissah Russell , 5'11" from Louisville, is a "forward" and
Brynn Masikewich , 6'3" from UCLA, is a "power forward". Other players are from Virginia
Commonwealth, Long Beach State, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Purdue,
Gonzaga, U of Florida, U of Utah, and Wake Forest.
Interesting when USA U19 plays Canada U 19!!
Congrats to Aaliyah, GO UCONN!! Z

Actually, that information is not current. That roster is from the U19 World Championships in 2019.

Speaking of Aaliyah, she will be in Puerto Rico n June playing for Canada's Senior National Team in the Americup.

Reaction Score
Thanks, I see the error! I was excited by the " shooting guard" comment and
did not pay attention to Aaliyah's photo with her braces = old history!

Reaction Score
Thanks, I see the error! I was excited by the " shooting guard" comment and
did not pay attention to Aaliyah's photo with her braces = old history!

Canada Basketball has yet to announce try outs for the U19 squad. She may be listed for this team as well if she doesn't make the SWNT (a big IF in my opinion).

Who knows how she'd be listed then?!?!?!?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She’s always going to play hard,” Auriemma said. “She’s always going to compete. And if she makes the Olympic team, hopefully, knock on wood, she’s a contributor and they have a great trip and win a medal. The impact that will have on her life, and how that will help her be a better player for UConn, it’s just immense.”

Reaction Score
She has played guard for Canada. They give her a bit more freedom to use more of her skills. I think playing with three point guards and a point forward on the floor with Uconn pressed her into more of an interior player and finisher.

Geno has praised her shooting and passing when she arrived at Uconn, so we could see more of that in the future.

She is probably balancing three dreams now: playing for UConn, playing for Canada, and her long-term basketball future.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She has played guard for Canada. They give her a bit more freedom to use more of her skills. I think playing with three point guards and a point forward on the floor with Uconn pressed her into more of an interior player and finisher.

Geno has praised her shooting and passing when she arrived at Uconn, so we could see more of that in the future.

She is probably balancing three dreams now: playing for UConn, playing for Canada, and her long-term basketball future.
The last time Aaliyah played for Canada she did not play guard. She played power forward in the AmeriCup in 2019.

Reaction Score
The last time Aaliyah played for Canada she did not play guard. She played power forward in the AmeriCup in 2019.
I have seen her play more of a perimeter game with them and in high school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm not exactly sure what it is we're talking about here. Aaliyah will be playing for Team Canada next month for Team Canada. She will not be playing guard because she isn't a guard. I suspect she'll play where she plays at UConn -- the 4 position who has the ability to step out to 15 feet for jump shots. I hope she is working on her 3-point shot so she can be a true stretch 4 but we haven't seen that part of her game yet at the collegiate or elite international level.

Reaction Score
I'm not exactly sure what it is we're talking about here. Aaliyah will be playing for Team Canada next month for Team Canada. She will not be playing guard because she isn't a guard. I suspect she'll play where she plays at UConn -- the 4 position who has the ability to step out to 15 feet for jump shots. I hope she is working on her 3-point shot so she can be a true stretch 4 but we haven't seen that part of her game yet at the collegiate or elite international level.
Canada listed her as guard again on their training camp roster.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I could be 'misremembering' things [a la Roger Clemons] but my recollection is that Aaliyah rarely took a mid-range shot...even though defenders would routinely not guard her when she strayed from the paint...i.e. they wanted to her to shoot from that distance....for a reason. Her outstanding field goal percentage was due to lay-ups [occasionally after a a nice 2 or 3 bounce drive from 15 feet] or on putbacks. If she returns as a soph with a decent mid-range shot that will certainly up her value but with the shooters we have coming I doubt there will be many Aailyah attempts from that range unless the clock is nearing zero.

A guard? Doubtful imo.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
On the official roster Canada submitted to FIBA for the 2019 AmeriCup tournament Aaliyah was listed as a Forward which was the position she played in that tournament.

Reaction Score

I can verify on both posts here. She definitely handled the ball more while playing in HS in comparison to what UCONN fans are seeing now. It also should be noted that the depth of guards like you typically see in the US is not the same as in Canada.

We're used to seeing her handle the ball more especially because of this. On some of her HS teams, she was the best ball handler on the roster.

Reaction Score
In this case, she would be a forward considering who was on the roster for that team. However, in previous FIBA competitions and Canadian National competitions, she used more on the outside and handled the ball more. A true guard, maybe not, but she wasn't banging in the post as much as she has this past season with UCONN.

Canada listed her as guard again on their training camp roster.

On the official roster Canada submitted to FIBA for the 2019 AmeriCup tournament Aaliyah was listed as a Forward which was the position she played in that tournament.
I think the confusion is from what is on Canada Basketball's website versus what was submitted to FIBA. I see it as a typo issue here.

Reaction Score
Edwards somewhat plays the role of the 5 for UConn (especially by season’s end as a starter) given ONO’s preference for high-post facilitation. AE feels like a sure-thing first-round WNBA pick in a few years, but at 6-2 or 6-3, I have to think her prospects may be better as a PF/4 than a C/5. Some exposure on the wing would help. She certainly has all the tools.

Despite what some posters think, AE is nowhere near the level of Boston or Cunane (and she shouldn’t be yet—she’s 1-2 years younger than both), but she’ll be a top-five post in the nation this year—of that I am confident.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Edwards somewhat plays the role of the 5 for UConn (especially by season’s end as a starter) given ONO’s preference for high-post facilitation. AE feels like a sure-thing first-round WNBA pick in a few years, but at 6-2 or 6-3, I have to think her prospects may be better as a PF/4 than a C/5. Some exposure on the wing would help. She certainly has all the tools.

Despite what some posters think, AE is nowhere near the level of Boston or Cunane (and she shouldn’t be yet—she’s 1-2 years younger than both), but she’ll be a top-five post in the nation this year—of that I am confident.
AE is a terrific player but she will not be even close to being a top 5 post player in the nation this coming season. She might not even be the best post player for UCONN. There are quite a few good post players out there, a more realistic expectation is for AE to crack the top 20.

Aliyah Boston
NyLassa Smith
Naz Hillman
Jessica Carter
Shakira Austin
Ayoka Lee
Cameron Brink
Elizabeth Kiltey

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
AE is a terrific player but she will not be even close to being a top 5 post player in the nation this coming season. She might not even be the best post player for UCONN. There are quite a few good post players out there, a more realistic expectation is for AE to crack the top 20.

Aliyah Boston
NyLassa Smith
Naz Hillman
Jessica Carter
Shakira Austin
Ayoka Lee
Cameron Brink
Elizabeth Kiltey
Not ready to set any preconceived limitations. AE is one of the most serious kids I have seen and now that she see's what parts of her game need improvement, she will get it done with ferocity. :mad::mad::mad:

Reaction Score

Aliyah Boston
NyLassa Smith
Naz Hillman
Jessica Carter
Shakira Austin
Ayoka Lee
Cameron Brink
Elizabeth Kiltey
That’s a great list and I should have clarified—by “post” I meant true fives.

I’d say Smith plays more of the 4 and Egbo the 5 for Baylor. J. Carter is more suited to play 4 but probably plays the 5 by necessity for MSST. Same for Brink and Hillman at their schools.

I do see AE as more of a true 5 in the UConn system given her current skillset although she’s better suited as a 4 in the pros due to her (relative) lack of size.

Agree that Boston, Cunane, and Kitley are the premier posts heading into the season. Lee has potential but doesn’t seem to have realized it yet, although to be fair she doesn’t have tremendous help around her.

Reaction Score
When I watched Aaliyah play for Canada against the US she was guarding and playing against Pheesa a lot. She was playing the 3 and was on the perimeter and would crash the boards with ferocity. She was gaining confidence and hitting the elbow midrange at the end of the year. Each and every year she will morph into a combo player who can play anywhere from the 3 to the 5. She plays great D even on the perimeter. Her jump switches are great on pick and rolls and her wingspan helps trap the guards. She will help us win the big ones in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom