Canada loses, Kia Nurse wins.... | The Boneyard

Canada loses, Kia Nurse wins....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
nurse.jpg

Kia Nurse and her Canadian National team lost to Australia this morning 62-52 at the World Championship in Turkey. There has been much debate on the BY about how well or poorly Kia has played for Canada in the tournament. Here are 5 statistics that tell you all you need to know:

1. Kia Nurse is not just a member of the Canadian team, she started all five games at guard. In addition to starting, Nurse has played 109 minutes or 22 min/game. Two other players average 22 plus minutes and one averages 24 min/ per game. Her coach thinks she should be on the court. :cool:

2. Kia is shot 12-25 (48%) from inside the 3 pt line. The rest of the team is shot 47%.

3. In 109 minutes of play at guard, Nurse has 2 turnovers. The rest of the team has 76. ;)

4. Nurse had 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 steals and only 9 fouls in five games. Her 6.6 pts/game average is only 3 pts behind the team leader at 9.6 pts/game.

5. In Canada's two most critical games against Australia & the Czech Republic, Nurse had 20 pts, played 45 minutes, had 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 turnover.

Basketball is the fastest growing sport in Canada. Of all the players available for the National team, Kia Nurse is starting at guard and seeing major minutes in critical games. She is excelling at the number one goal for any guard, don't turn the ball over. She is scoring, rebounding, getting steals and NOT fouling. That would be great for any player, for one only 18 years old, that's remarkable. :)

Go Kia & go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Thank you David as I tried to tell people in another thread , before you pass judgement on any player you really ought to collect a lot of data rather than make a snap judgment based upon a single game.

Reaction Score
Yes, DATA!! Now that is a basis for gaining some perspective, particularly when that evaluation is being hung out there in public where the athlete or her family could be viewing the comments.

Of course, we could decide to have a couch potato with no professional experience judging or coaching talent choose to watch one game on TV twice, and at that a game where, essentially, a high school athlete is participating against the best pros in the world - and then based on that viewing, offer a somewhat pompous and judgmental critique of what the entire 4 year career of that athlete is going to look like in terms of success. Ooops, did that already happen?!?

Seems to me that Geno and his staff elect to watch an athlete several times in person before making a decision about potential...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks David!
According to FIBA you got the score wrong 63-52 but it doesn't really matter. The info about Nurse is spot on.
I am really looking forward to seeing her play with her own age group this coming year.
Canada really impressed me this year - they are missing perhaps their best post player in Achunwa, and played competitively in all their games - against Australia they lost 3 quarters by a total of 1 point, they just had a dreadful 7 point 2nd quarter that accounted for the other 10 points. With two college players getting experience this WC they should continue to be an international team to be watched.

Meanwhile - Spain appears to be in complete control in the second quarter final 35 - 17 at the half.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
John Stockton never stood out as an "athletic wow player" for me. I haven't seen her play but could she be anything like Stockton? Because I could live with that. :)

45 TO GO

That could potentially be a great comparison - you're right that Stockton was not an "athletic wow player" but he was incredibly strong and was "sneaky" athletic in a lot of ways. If Kia ends up being Stockton-esque in that respect, she will be one amazing player.

Reaction Score
Thoughts on a couple comparisons herein. I was always quite the "Stockton-Malone" fan, so that's really high praise to me, that I'm not willing to give out to Kia yet. The Husky guard that gets Stockton notes in my book is still Sue. I will say that after seeing her play in this tournament, I'll acknowledge Kia has considerable upside that I think we can count on the UConn staff to bring out. I thought the Faris comparison was very apt. It sometimes gets thrown around too easily here, but there were some hustle plays I saw Kia make that were very Kelly-like.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, DATA!! Now that is a basis for gaining some perspective, particularly when that evaluation is being hung out there in public where the athlete or her family could be viewing the comments.

Of course, we could decide to have a couch potato with no professional experience judging or coaching talent choose to watch one game on TV twice, and at that a game where, essentially, a high school athlete is participating against the best pros in the world - and then based on that viewing, offer a somewhat pompous and judgmental critique of what the entire 4 year career of that athlete is going to look like in terms of success. Ooops, did that already happen?!?

Seems to me that Geno and his staff elect to watch an athlete several times in person before making a decision about potential...
Hopefully they're wise enough to not log onto the boneyard :)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Ssssssooooooooooo.....you been lurking a while? :p:D:p:D:cool:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
welp... gotta take the good with the bad. I'm sure she/they can handle constructive criticism. She doesn't appear to be a spoiled diva who only wants praise

Reaction Score
Sometimes athletic ability fools people.

I'd rather have a pitcher who knows how to pitch, that bangs the gun at 92mph, than a guy who lights it up at 97, but doesn't have a clue. Athletic ability is a wonderful gift, but the ability to actually master the multiple skillsets that accompany one's sport, is critical to success.

Even if Nurse isn't as athletically gifted as some of her current and future opponents, that in no way is a harbinger of future success.

Reaction Score
View attachment 7055

Kia Nurse and her Canadian National team lost to Australia this morning 62-52 at the World Championship in Turkey. There has been much debate on the BY about how well or poorly Kia has played for Canada in the tournament. Here are 5 statistics that tell you all you need to know:

1. Kia Nurse is not just a member of the Canadian team, she started all five games at guard. In addition to starting, Nurse has played 109 minutes or 22 min/game. Two other players average 22 plus minutes and one averages 24 min/ per game. Her coach thinks she should be on the court. :cool:

2. Kia is shot 12-25 (48%) from inside the 3 pt line. The rest of the team is shot 47%.

3. In 109 minutes of play at guard, Nurse has 2 turnovers. The rest of the team has 76. ;)

4. Nurse had 7 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 steals and only 9 fouls in five games. Her 6.6 pts/game average is only 3 pts behind the team leader at 9.6 pts/game.

5. In Canada's two most critical games against Australia & the Czech Republic, Nurse had 20 pts, played 45 minutes, had 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 turnover.

Basketball is the fastest growing sport in Canada. Of all the players available for the National team, Kia Nurse is starting at guard and seeing major minutes in critical games. She is excelling at the number one goal for any guard, don't turn the ball over. She is scoring, rebounding, getting steals and NOT fouling. That would be great for any player, for one only 18 years old, that's remarkable. :)

Go Kia & go Huskies..!!
Kia is big on my list of Freshmen. But I wonder why she was so far behind the rest of her team ---she only had 2--but her much more experienced players got 109---I'm sure if Kia tried she could have gotten 110 . Oh well we hope she shall do better as a UConn Husky. Turnovers that is!!!

Reaction Score
Kia is big on my list of Freshmen. But I wonder why she was so far behind the rest of her team ---she only had 2--but her much more experienced players got 109---I'm sure if Kia tried she could have gotten 110 . Oh well we hope she shall do better as a UConn Husky. Turnovers that is!!!
In Kia's honor, I had two turnovers too (both apple).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let's not forget that she has size as well
A big strong, heady guard who can defend, pass, and yes shoot.
Geno will have her posting up smaller guards in an augenblick
Will make defending her a nightmare

Reaction Score
I don't think "poorly" is the correct word. She just doesn't stand out as an "athletic" wow player. She's "faris-like"

thanks for the stats

Kelly wasn't a "wow" player but she was very athletic. No-one without great athletic ability could have played defense the way she did - guarding all types of players.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
In Bridgeport- she looked comfortable and like she belonged on that court with the greatest players in the world. I'm not an expert- but it seams we do pretty well over the years with a super star, a star , and a group of solid role players that have hearts "this large" - ( my hands are spread out really wide) :) oh - and they usually have high basketball IQ's!

Reaction Score
I don't think "poorly" is the correct word. She just doesn't stand out as an "athletic" wow player. She's "faris-like"

thanks for the stats

I think you are implying that Kelly is not athletic. If so I 100% disagree. You should workout with her sometime. Kelly is very, very athletic. She has played multiple sports at a high level. I will give you that she is not a pure shooter, but in college she could play all 5 positions of needed. Through hard work she became a competent 3 point shooter. There is no one who has a higher motor for 40 minutes than Kelly on any athletic venue.

As far as Kia, I saw her play in Bridgeport and that was the only time. If that's the game she brings to Storrs, she will see significant minutes this year.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I still get goose bumps about the 2nd half we witnessed in Gampel Kelly's sr year. Was it the Duke game? She single handed willed Uconn with heart, determination , brains and defense. The chest Bump from Geno was one of my personal favorite memories ever. The highest complement u could ever get from Geno.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FYI - Canada v. France on watch espn starting right now in the classification game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom