Canada in a fight with France | The Boneyard

Canada in a fight with France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
France ahead 60-58 with 2:12 left.

Kia has 9 pts, 3 RB, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block

Reaction Score
but since then Kia's made some ill-advised shots.

Reaction Score
Kia with really bad ('desperation'?) iso and bad shot with 1:14 left. France 62-59

Reaction Score
Too bad. Canada had them down big in the first half, just inexplicably let them back in it. Final France 69-63 - pfffffff....

Reaction Score
Game commentators here noted how the US defended Nurse by forcing her to her left on her drives,
and how Spain and France followed suit.
She shot 5/34 the last three games.
Gee, thanks, Geno :p

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kia had a rough go of it, but still, the fact that she's so young and getting this experience against world-class competition only bodes well for her future.

France has done very well to overcome the loss of Dumerc. Congrats to them.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Before you write Kia's obituary, go back to that horrid game Diana played vs, ND as a freshman. We should hope that Kia bounces back similarly.

Count on it.;)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Canada has a team full of journeyman that play a hard physical game trying to take advantage of the talent they have. They have no true Super Star and other then by effort none of their players would make USA's Select Team. They need a consistent scorer(s) and more overall team speed. Still they could have beaten France if Kia hits a couple of more shots she usually makes.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Before you write Kia's obituary, go back to that horrid game Diana played vs, ND as a freshman. We should hope that Kia bounces back similarly.

Count on it.;)
And remember Natalie Achonwa's big leap for ND in 2012-2013 after the Irish had lost Novosel, Peters, and Mallory. Those losses aren't akin to the losses of Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan, but in any event, Kia will start in 2016-17 and be all the better for his Olympic experience.

Reaction Score
10,000 left-handed drive/layups before you get back to Storrs....
Precisely. I guarantee you Geno showed everybody how to guard Kia so she is forced to improve her game. There have to be few things more satisfying to a coach than seeing a player turn a weakness into a strength.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that when I think of Kia playing at UConn, I always visualize her on the LEFT side of the court offensively and, in fact, driving on the left. What I saw yesterday was Kia hurrying her shots from all points on the court. This was a tendency at times during the season as well: she'd penetrate or get herself open wonderfully, and then hurry the actual shot. So, I think it's a mental thing of clearing the mind and relaxing, shooting from muscle memory.

Reaction Score
In the second half, Kia certainly looked like she was pressing. Took too much upon herself and played out of control too much for my taste. Couldn't help thinking as I was watching that if she plays that way for the Huskies Geno will pull her.

Maybe Canada's coach wants her to play that way?

I really like her attitude, hustle, and defensive play. She is fun to watch when she plays well, but sometimes she is too aggressive offensively and puts herself in impossible positions with no options on the court. She HAS to learn to finish drives. It's fine to draw contact. A three point play from a made shot and a free throw is a dagger to a defenders heart.

Driving and hoping to be fouled without making the layup or worse getting trapped on the baseline with no outlet options and throwing up a prayer is not the means to a successful offensive game at the elite level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom