Can You Interpret Geno | The Boneyard

Can You Interpret Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno on his freshmen:

"I don't need tonight to know that our freshmen don't know anything about anything because we had two days of practices. And there was nobody in the stands and they could barely get up and down the floor without having a heart attack."

And the beat goes on .............. :D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Another year, another group of newbies that finally get a glimmer of how hard they'll need to work to succeed at this level.

Reaction Score
Geno on his freshmen:

"I don't need tonight to know that our freshmen don't know anything about anything because we had two days of practices. And there was nobody in the stands and they could barely get up and down the floor without having a heart attack."

And the beat goes on .... :D

Not everything Geno says is for motivation--sometimes--it's true.. Everyone who is anyone says---The Mark of a Geno Team is DEFENSE----that is only partly true. The real secret, and not at all dirty, that Geno rarely speaks of it----drum roll IS
CONDITIONING. Run with and exercise with the Marines--did they do that this year????

Reaction Score
Not everything Geno says is for motivation--sometimes--it's true.. Everyone who is anyone says---The Mark of a Geno Team is DEFENSE----that is only partly true. The real secret, and not at all dirty, that Geno rarely speaks of it----drum roll IS
CONDITIONING. Run with and exercise with the Marines--did they do that this year????

I have a slightly different opinion about conditioning. I don't think that UConn is in much better shape. All teams have conditioning programs. I think that what UConn does in practice is to get the players tired and winded and then demand that they practice in that condition. They learn to play with minimum errors even when they are exhausted. As a result UConn players are used to performing at a high level even while tired and winded while many other programs are not.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You do know that that whole Marine thing is quite common - like a conditioning unit rental program? But I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is conditioning and most can't run 40 with the Huskies. Aydar's theory about playing near flawless basketball while tapped out flies in the face of medical science( much as I love the avatar Alydar, and I'm not horsing around).

Reaction Score
I have a slightly different opinion about conditioning. I don't think that UConn is in much better shape. All teams have conditioning programs. I think that what UConn does in practice is to get the players tired and winded and then demand that they practice in that condition. They learn to play with minimum errors even when they are exhausted. As a result UConn players are used to performing at a high level even while tired and winded while many other programs are not.
]
And you don't believe that is CONDITIONING?? To get into condition for a game--along with weights and programmed exercises--there is the running for 6 hours or so per day. That allows that when a game is on the line--your top players can play while their lungs hurt or their legs are tired --and have the stamina (Condition) to stay for the long haul.
We say the same thing--with different words..

Reaction Score
You do know that that whole Marine thing is quite common - like a conditioning unit rental program? But I wholeheartedly agree with you that it is conditioning and most can't run 40 with the Huskies. Aydar's theory about playing near flawless basketball while tapped out flies in the face of medical science( much as I love the avatar Alydar, and I'm not horsing around).

I know what you say about RENTING MARINES--I was in a hospital ward with 100 of those who Uncle Sam Rented--they started out in superb condition--and then not so great. Thank you Uncle--~!!!

It's not the name you apply to the program. It can be specific physical activities--or just have Shea, Marisa, Geno , Chris run your legs into dust for 4 or so hours a day. Eventually--you can out run, out stay any competition that --screams --I won't do it..

Funny!!!

Reaction Score
Another year, another group of newbies that finally get a glimmer of how hard they'll need to work to succeed at this level.
The newbies knew it wasn't going to be easy being an 11 NC team with the last 4 in a row--and what 15 or so Final 4's ---Geno has always said--It ain't easy being a Husky WBB player.

Reaction Score

When I said exhausted I wasn't meaning in a medically defined way. All players reach a point when their body is under stress. When that happens they are more likely to make an error, sometimes a mental error. UConn runs three hour practices at high speed. They experience that stress for longer than a game. And their minds are trained to stay focussed despite the stress.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When I said exhausted I wasn't meaning in a medically defined way. All players reach a point when their body is under stress. When that happens they are more likely to make an error, sometimes a mental error. UConn runs three hour practices at high speed. They experience that stress for longer than a game. And their minds are trained to stay focussed despite the stress.

I get you now. How many times have we heard players say or almost say a game is like a day off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom