Can you imaging doing this for a living | The Boneyard

Can you imaging doing this for a living

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
"Conference media rights are expected to increase in the next contract, but why would we ever trust that the godforsaken American Athletic Conference will approach anything close to Power Five money? Residual revenues from the Big East are finished and the broadcast rights agreement with IMG will be reduced."

Imagine being so lazy that you don't even Google "UConn-IMG deal", whereby you'd see that UConn renewed the deal Literally Three Months Ago at a higher rate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Conference media rights are expected to increase in the next contract, but why would we ever trust that the godforsaken American Athletic Conference will approach anything close to Power Five money? Residual revenues from the Big East are finished and the broadcast rights agreement with IMG will be reduced."

Imagine being so lazy that you don't even Google "UConn-IMG deal", whereby you'd see that UConn renewed the deal Literally Three Months Ago at a higher rate.

Good call out. How can you do this for a living and miss the IMG contract renewal?

I guess it’s hard to keep up between the East Lyme JV games.

Reaction Score
Im not saying that I agree with him when he says to cut football, but I think he has a point when he suggests that the days of 40,000 at the rent are probably over, at least while we are in the AAC. Like the article mentioned, what happens if we can turn this thing around? What are realistic expectations? 7-5? 8-4? And will that really tip the scale to be able to pack 25-30,000 people consistently in The Rent to watch Tulsa, Memphis, and Tulane?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Im not saying that I agree with him when he says to cut football, but I think he has a point when he suggests that the days of 40,000 at the rent are probably over, at least while we are in the AAC. Like the article mentioned, what happens if we can turn this thing around? What are realistic expectations? 7-5? 8-4? And will that really tip the scale to be able to pack 25-30,000 people consistently in The Rent to watch Tulsa, Memphis, and Tulane?
considering Memphis has been top 25 year in and year out, probably. We had 27k for Houston in 2015

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Drew

Reaction Score
Wut?
He asked if 7-5 or 8-4 would be enough to get 25k people to the Rent to watch games vs Memphis. Memphis has been in and out of the top 25 the last 4 years. So I said yes and used the Houston attendance from when UConn was 5-5 as an example.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He asked if 7-5 or 8-4 would be enough to get 25k people to the Rent to watch games vs Memphis. Memphis has been in and out of the top 25 the last 4 years. So I said yes and used the Houston attendance from when UConn was 5-5 as an example.

I know you are far away but that was a long time ago and Memphis has no more appeal than a random FCS school.

Drew

Reaction Score
I know you are far away but that was a long time ago and Memphis has no more appeal than a random FCS school.
Agree to disagree. Even the opener vs UCF had 23k last year. And I know Memphis isn't LSU or any other brand name. But if UConn is decent and they're playing a top 25 team, it'll draw 25k.

Reaction Score
Institutional support and student fees have a ceiling. Hence, revenue sources will be mostly dependent on better ticket sales. That's not comforting, given our state's tepid reaction to AAC opponents.

I'm so tired of hearing this over and over again, from the media and from our bumbling AD, blaming the fans for just not caring enough about the opponents to buy tickets and save UConn athletics. WE NEED. TO WIN. GAMES. AND WE NEED TO WIN THEM SOON.

Look at the attendance numbers for any conference, good or bad, and tell me where the teams that perpetually suck are ranked. Until UConn starts to WIN again, I don't want to hear any more quips about people's inherent enthusiasm for Tulsa on a Wednesday night because it's irrelevant.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. Even the opener vs UCF had 23k last year. And I know Memphis isn't LSU or any other brand name. But if UConn is decent and they're playing a top 25 team, it'll draw 25k.

The attendance is completely based on weather. If it’s nice some people show up.

The numbers they publish have no relationship to reality.

Reaction Score
A huge change in the Eastern College scene is the rise of Army as a player i
If they want to continue with this trend that’s a big opportunity for the AAC
Regional Div become a reality
Army*
Navy*
Temple
UConn
ECU
Cinn
UCF
VCU/Dayton/St Joseph’s / UMass/ RI ??** pick 2
West
USF
Tulane
Memphis
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
BYU ( Football only or Both )
CSU/AFA*???
WSU**
** Basketball only
*Football only
By a few simple tweets you’ve reduced expenses and I believed helped but minimally did not hurt the conference

Reaction Score
There's two numbers - sales and gate - I can't find it for UConn, perhaps someone knows.

For example, Rutgers in 2017 reported attendance of roughly 40K per game, but the actual gate was 25K.

The WSJ has a study that shows 71% of total tickets sold show up, so suppose it's easy to figure the UConn gate, but I'm not figuring it out, but it can't be good. The average fans in attendance at FBS games in 2017 was 42K down 3% or something from 2016 - we all know for most games the Rent doesn't match the Rutgers attendance numbers and that's horrible - but if Rutgers was playing the likes of ECU every week I believe they would have numbers that would match what I'm guessing the Rent numbers are.

The conference is a killer - We know that if the program is weak many people would come to see the majority of the teams in the B10 or ACC because it simply becomes a much larger event versus a game against Tulane, ECU, Houston, UCF that's just because the B10 and ACC brands are just more meaningful.

Can't give up the program, but this regime needs to win and win soon.

Edit: Basketball is fortunate to have a lot of deposits in the proverbial fan piggy bank because of the success of the program, but even now a few years removed from a title there's fan fatigue and that's a whole heaping helping of not good.

Reaction Score
Never is an interesting concept

In intense watching UConn football since 1998, I have seen Temple ... Rutgers ... Memphis ... Duke - all had extraordinarily poor Programs and worse prospects than the State of the UConn Program on January 2019. It’s hard to compose a compelling response to DiMauro after what we witnessed this Fall. The WORST Defense in FBS history; and it looked it. I would argue, however, that UConn’s lowest point was in an earlier Diaco year. The Fix has started; Diaco had no capacity.

I hate DiMauro and what he represents. We - he & I - have a personal respectful correspondence going back years. But the buff BC rooter stole what New England needed: a robust State University playing big time football. A Catholic elitist moody zip code school does not give the NE CFB fan what was possible.

The only thing Benedict et al can do us grind out this next day. I do not believe you should bet against a rocking 40,000 Rent; then ... if we had a Hartford PapaJohn (which doesn’t seem to grow in NutmegLand), we’d have a different construct.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A huge change in the Eastern College scene is the rise of Army as a player i
If they want to continue with this trend that’s a big opportunity for the AAC
Regional Div become a reality
Army*
Navy*
Temple
UConn
ECU
Cinn
UCF
VCU/Dayton/St Joseph’s / UMass/ RI ??** pick 2
West
USF
Tulane
Memphis
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
BYU ( Football only or Both )
CSU/AFA*???
WSU**
** Basketball only
*Football only
By a few simple tweets you’ve reduced expenses and I believed helped but minimally did not hurt the conference

You're about 30 forward slashes and a rant about red ties away from HFD territory.

Reaction Score
Good call out. How can you do this for a living and miss the IMG contract renewal?

I guess it’s hard to keep up between the East Lyme JV games.
Well, he has a BCU education. Actively subverts UConn at every chance.

Reaction Score
You're about 30 forward slashes and a rant about red ties away from voldemort territory.
Actually it was a tribute to the memory of HFD
and a reminder of five lost years of my life spent on the CR board and all my friends
there , may they RIP.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Actually it was a tribute to the memory of voldemort
and a reminder of five lost years of my life spent on the CR board and all my friends
there , may they RIP.

I remember checking the CR board every 20 minutes for a period of years...

I don't know what is more depressing, that, or the fact we don't need to check it anymore.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I think football is at a put up or shut up point. It needs to be better and it needs to be better soon. Either toss enough money at it to pay a good coaching staff or get rid of it. But that's just my two cents.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wins are only part of the equation. The other part is playing teams we care about and that ain’t happening. Wins will help but they aren’t the cure all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom