Can Top Prep Schools Beat A Good College Team? | The Boneyard

Can Top Prep Schools Beat A Good College Team?

Reaction Score
I think of Putnam Science, Brewster Academy, DeMatha as a few that come to mind. There are many others as well that I probably am not aware of.

Reaction Score
This is the same dumb argument people have about whether the best college teams could beat a bad NBA team. Absolutely not. There's a physical difference between levels that just can't be overcome no matter how talented any high school team is.

Reaction Score
This is the same dumb argument people have about whether the best college teams could beat a bad NBA team. Absolutely not. There's a physical difference between levels that just can't be overcome no matter how talented any high school team is.
When i was a young know nothing punk kid i thought the `90 Unlv could beat a bad nets team lol! What an idiot i was.

Reaction Score
So a school like Montverde or IMG that's loaded with D1 players 1-12, what's the top level of competition they could handle? Presumably they can run with JCs, certainly run of the mill JCs. Can they beat D2 schools?

Reaction Score
I can see Montverde Academy beating a rebuilding low-major team, but not a "good" college team.

For example, last year's CCSU team could lose to Montverde. Not to crap on CCSU (my mom is an alum and I try to go to each year's Sacred Heart/CCSU game), but they were a 4 win team and five of their top eight players were freshman and their best player Ian Krishnan was injured a lot of the year.

Could a top-5 of the HS senior version of Cade Cunningham, Scottie Barnes, Day'Ron Sharpe, Moses Moody and Zeb Jackson beat last year's CCSU team? Absolutely.

A "good" team that has experience? They won't win a 3-game series.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Physically they would take a beating and they are not going to be as well coached either. Ask Hurley or Calhoun

Reaction Score
Not a good college team but there are absolutely college teams they would beat. CCSU would get stomped by Brewster/Oak Hill/PSA/Montverde most years

Reaction Score

I remember back when Leinart was at USC people were saying that USC team could beat the Lions. Considering how Leinart’s NFL career went... yeah they could not have beaten the Lions.

Reaction Score
Curious how that Australian lottery email turned out for you?
Massive winner. I sent my prepayment in. I'm looking forward to getting my winnings and primo men's hoops season ticket. I signed up for direct deposit too!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think of Putnam Science, Brewster Academy, DeMatha as a few that come to mind. There are many others as well that I probably am not aware of.

They would get mauled.

I think the team with Taurasi, Bird, and Swin Cash could maybe beat the men's team in 2017-'18. Jalen was the best player and Bird would've slowed him down a lot, there were no good post scorers for the men's team to take advantage of their size down low.

They would get mauled.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on how far we stretch the bounds of "college team". At some point, you neutralize the college team being physically more mature with the top prep program just being far, far more athletic, but it's WAY, WAY down the college ranks before that happens. A mediocre D1 team would demolish even a top prep team, no question.

Reaction Score
UMass won 14 games with this approach and Woodstock. Montverde squad from last year could win a few games.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
You have to think about the "don't want to lose to high schoolers" factor too. Those college kids would be playing their absolute hardest because they don't want to be clowned for all eternity for losing to some high school kids.

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt those teams would beat any D1 team. Over he course of a game I think strength and conditioning as well as coaching would eventually take a toll. And probably defense too. Few of those prep teams really play any defense to speak of. I’ve heard a number of college coaches say the 2 toughest adjustments kids make are playing defense and playing offense consistently against guys who play defense. So my overall take is they would lose pretty badly to pretty much any high mid major or above. Lose to low majors and maybe in 1 game a prep team could beat a low D1 team in a close game. They wouldn’t take 2 out of 3.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I’ve seen a couple of Highschool teams that would beat good Division 3 teams for sure.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
DI guys are just physically bigger top to bottom so I don't think so. Harken back to Malcom Gladwell's example in Outliers where you have no shot to play for Team Canada in junior hockey unless you're born in Jan, Feb or March bc kids w/birthdays in the first three months are physically bigger than kids born later in the year. High school team vs college team you're talking about a difference of 2-3-4 years in physical maturity so unless that prep team has 5 high school LeBrons, while they'd probably compete, I don't think they'd win.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
They would get mauled.

They would get mauled.

Reminds me of when people asked if the 35-0 women's team could compete in DI men's hoops and I think it was Geno who reminded reporters that All-American/All-Everything Rebecca Lobo had her shot blocked so hard by one of the token male practice players one time that it almost broke her nose...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I remember back when Leinart was at USC people were saying that USC team could beat the Lions. Considering how Leinart’s NFL career went... yeah they could not have beaten the Lions.
This question is asked every year.

The #1 team in the country has at most, 15 or so NFL-ready players on any given roster (I.e. whatever year you want to use). The worst NFL team still has 53 NFL-ready players plus a practice squad.

Herein lies the end of the lesson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom