Can someone shed some light on this cool pic? | The Boneyard

Can someone shed some light on this cool pic?

Reaction Score
Looks like they're introducing the Grambling players:

2021_12_4GramblingStateTigersUConnMBB005.JPG

Reaction Score
Hasn't this been a tradition for 20+ years?
Growing up I only remember the student section turning around during opponent intros and yelling "Sucks!!" after each name. The newspaper thing is fairly new within the past few years, no?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
In '06 they also kicked out my roommate Nick for calling Mike Nardi a "wiener".

The same season, they banned camping outside Gampel for season tickets. Lottery system started after that.
The lottery system was the worst and laziest way to sell tickets. 4 years and I never won once. Nothing worse than having to pay $80 for a Syracuse/Nova/Louisville ticket from some nerd who couldn’t even name a player.

Reaction Score
they banned it starting in '09 as well as signs and other fun student things

The same season, they banned camping outside Gampel for season tickets. Lottery system started after that.
And they wonder why there has been attendance issues. Let the kids have some fun.

Reaction Score
Growing up I only remember the student section turning around during opponent intros and yelling "Sucks!!" after each name. The newspaper thing is fairly new within the past few years, no?
They started leaving old Daily campus pages in 2017 I believe. Before that it was just turning around.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Not gonna lie.. I was disappointed that they didn’t do that big UConn canvas over the student section. I thought that was kinda cool
1638715903760.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sounds like you haven’t been in awhile… no papers in years!!!
The point is that it isn't a new phenomenon. I didn't know it was banned for a while; I figured they just were doing different things to mix it up, like turning around, etc. The last Gampel game I attended was Senior Night on March 5, 2020. I thought they did something special that night for Senior Night.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As @Hey Adrien! detailed above. They did the newspaper thing for a while then they did the back turned sucks thing. Now it would seem the newspaper is back.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

One of my buddies friends brought in a Thabeet Block-O'Meter. Really good quality of Thabeet that had his arm move with every block. They took it from it when he walked in

Reaction Score
The lottery system was the worst and laziest way to sell tickets. 4 years and I never won once. Nothing worse than having to pay $80 for a Syracuse/Nova/Louisville ticket from some nerd who couldn’t even name a player.
Same, I never won in my 4 years. Always bought season tickets off some kid that didn’t care about the games. I was always envious of Pitt’s system, which gave you “points” for attending any sporting event. The students with the most points got first dibs on basketball tickets.

Reaction Score
Hasn't this been a tradition for 20+ years?
I wouldn’t say 20

When I was around ‘08-12 we just turned our backs and yelled “SUCKS” after each player and coach was introduced

Reaction Score
One of my buddies friends brought in a Thabeet Block-O'Meter. Really good quality of Thabeet that had his arm move with every block. They took it from it when he walked in
I remember this, tip of the cap to you/him that thing was awesome

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, they put out newspapers for certain games when I was there, which was 2000-2005.

The “(players name) sucks” things really seemed less and less clever as it went. I preferred the newspapers.

Gampel was always packed with students when I was there, and obviously the success in that era is why. I’m thrilled to see an enthusiastic student section again. I can’t imagine my UConn experience without the excitement of basketball games in front of a full house.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom