Can someone explain to me | The Boneyard

Can someone explain to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What winning an extra game or two could possibly do to derail the foundation Diaco is trying to build?

He keeps mentioning how he was not going to sacrifice or jeopardizing what he is trying to build by trying to win an extra game or two. How can winning an extra game or two ever be detrimental toward long term goals.

I see it nothing more as a guy dumbding down expectations to ground zero levels and it doesn't seem to make sense to me. It almost seems like he took this season and wanted to make the point that we were the worse team in the FBS. We were BAD no doubt, but if we are the worst team in FBS is in no small part due to Diaco. TJ had this team playing harder and with more purpose at the end of the year than Diaco did. If anything this team did not resemble the team that played good football in games against Boise State, ECU, and UCF by the last game, and those three were good football teams.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You just explained it.

It's been a very concious effort to hammer on how bad things were when he got here. It's no accident that they had no sense of urgency when it came to winning games.

What he did wasn't all that transparent. Since you'll note everyone stayed home - they saw through it a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Dumbed down expectations to give himself breathing room to justify his horrid coaching job this year.

Reaction Score
I guess his "not going to sacrifice the program building by winning one or two extra games" has been bothering me. It doesn't make sense and I wished someone in the media asked him what that means. How can try to win winnable games ever be detrimental to the process?

Reaction Score
I guess his "not going to sacrifice the program building by winning one or two extra games" has been bothering me. It doesn't make sense and I wished someone in the media asked him what that means. How can try to win winnable games ever be detrimental to the process?

I've taken a beating on this board for saying this since the middle of Sept. For some reason unbeknownst to me I held out hope that Diaco was an evil genius. That hope was literally and figuratively washed away yesterday. Nothing we can do about it now other than hold out hope based on nothing but blind faith.

Reaction Score
I guess it is possible this was a conscious effort to hit rock bottom. Quite frankly as awful as that would be, at least it would explain some of the irrational, awful coaching we have seen. I can't imagine coaches who have to be among the most competitive breeds on the planet would do this but in a weird way it might actually be better if that was the case. I think it's a combination of inexperience and lack of creativity coupled with mediocre talent.

Reaction Score
I just can't imagine he expressed this approach to Warde during the interview process. I have to believe Warde has to be questioning his hire. Warde was on record when he fired P stating there was talent on the team. Diaco set out to prove we had the worst talent in FBS.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I've taken a beating on this board for saying this since the middle of Sept. For some reason unbeknownst to me I held out hope that Diaco was an evil genius. That hope was literally and figuratively washed away yesterday. Nothing we can do about it now other than hold out hope based on nothing but blind faith.

Calhoun said the same thing when he took over in his first year. That he sacrificed a few wins for building the foundation.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Calhoun said the same thing when he took over in his first year. That he sacrificed a few wins for building the foundation.
Weren't you the poster who said you weren't concerned what he says?? Now you are comparing his words to Calhouns- which is it?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Any chance of another End of Season Buffalo Wild Wings session we can all attend and show the media how to do their job??

Reaction Score
Right, at his hiring press conference he was saying one thing. When the games started the story changed. Then he proceeded to make it seems we are least talented team in FBS and yesterday cemented that. Hey nowehere to go but up now, no? He is a first rate joker so far.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Calhoun said something similar, in retrospect, about his first season. He seemed credible. BD did does not. Maybe it just me, but I don't what he's trying to do other than recruit his way out of the hole he's in. If he does it, well I guess we'll all move on, but it has been painful, in the near term.

Reaction Score
I just can't imagine he expressed this approach to Warde during the interview process. I have to believe Warde has to be questioning his hire. Warde was on record when he fired P stating there was talent on the team. Diaco set out to prove we had the worst talent in FBS.

The easy out for him is "things were much worse than I thought they were".

I agree that Warde has to be questioning the decision but, the reality of the situation is he is stuck with this decision for at least another year if not 2.

Reaction Score

Your next response will predictably be, "I didn't compare him to Jim Calhoun".

Reaction Score
Calhoun said something similar, in retrospect, about his first season. He seemed credible. BD did does not. Maybe it just me, but I don't what he's trying to do other than recruit his way out of the hole he's in. If he does it, well I guess we'll all move on, but it has been painful, in the near term.
I keep hearing that, and we look at that comment with hindsight, but that is probably where the comparisons between the two will begin and end.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Your next response will predictably be, "I didn't compare him to Jim Calhoun".

Right. I don't think he is the best coach of his generation.

I do think he will win championships at UConn.

Clear enough?

Reaction Score
He could have won a bunch more games but he didn't want to screw things up. Makes perfect sense to me. Stop trolling.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
He could have won a bunch more games but he didn't want to screw things up. Makes perfect sense to me. Stop trolling.

No. Look at the two deep. He played a ton of young players and tried to have them play according to his future system, not what might work better this year.

It's not hard to understand. It is easy to be unhappy with it, however.

Reaction Score
No. Look at the two deep. He played a ton of young players and tried to have them play according to his future system, not what might work better this year.

It's not hard to understand. It is easy to be unhappy with it, however.

No not at all. Unless of course you think his future system abandons the running game (USF) or avoids downfield passing (every other game). If nothing else, Diaco has made it clear that he's modified his offense to fit what the current players can and cannot do. He's mentioned dialing things back because players were drinking from a fire hose. He's done the exact opposite of what you stated. Are you even paying attention?

Reaction Score
And that is what I'm talking about, what he says and what he does rarely match, in fact most of the time it conflicts.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
No not at all. Unless of course you think his future system abandons the running game (USF) or avoids downfield passing (every other game). If nothing else, Diaco has made it clear that he's modified his offense to fit what the current players can and cannot do. He's mentioned dialing things back because players were drinking from a fire hose. He's done the exact opposite of what you stated. Are you even paying attention?

Dumbing it down isn't the same thing as abandoning it.

Look at the two deep - playing that many frosh and soph is going to be a losing season. Period.

Reaction Score

Look at the two deep - playing that many frosh and soph is going to be a losing season. Period.
Losing season doesn't have to mean you deliver an abomination of a second half at home against a winless team. A team so bad it coudln't execute a proper victory formation. Their QB set a position record rushing day yesterday.

Reaction Score

While most others were predicting 6, 7, and 8 win seasons I expected this to be a tough year in terms of wins. If you want to declare that he'll win championships that's all well and good. I hope you're right. But you're operating on nothing but blind faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom