Can Morgan Tuck shoot the three? You bet. 46% | The Boneyard

Can Morgan Tuck shoot the three? You bet. 46%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Rich Elliot, in his blog today, reports that Morgan Tuck has shot 69.4% from the field this year; and 46% from trey land.

Those numbers sound good to me. The Huskies will be able to put a lot of good shooters on the floor next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rich Elliot, in his blog today, reports that Morgan Tuck has shot 69.4% from the field this year; and 46% from trey land.

Those numbers sound good to me. The Huskies will be able to put a lot of good shooters on the floor next year.
I just saw and posted on that too. It's nice to get thing quantified. Both of those percentages are stellar!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'd like to know how many she took.
Right, that 46% does not mean much unless she averaged at least 1 or 2 per game. With Bria, KLM, Caroline and probably Moriah and Stewart, we will have plenty of outside shooting.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Right, that 46% does not mean much unless she averaged at least 1 or 2 per game. With Bria, KLM, Caroline and probably Moriah and Stewart, we will have plenty of outside shooting.

When you have Hartley, Doty/Jefferson, Lewis, Stewart and Tuck on the court at the same time and you have 5 players that can hit the three and have it as part of their skill set in games.

How the heck to you defend that?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
When you have Hartley, Doty/Jefferson, Lewis, Stewart and Tuck on the court at the same time and you have 5 players that can hit the three and have it as part of their skill set in games.

How the heck to you defend that?
Prayer?

Reaction Score
I'd like to know how many she took.

DOGGY - my first reation as well. I don't have the data, but from some clips I've seen, I don't she was reluctant to hoist a few up. Hope someone has the facts on that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DOGGY - my first reation as well. I don't have the data, but from some clips I've seen, I don't she was reluctant to hoist a few up. Hope someone has the facts on that.
My guess would be something like 23-50.

Reaction Score
Probably shot more per game in high school ball - only figures I could find were Team USA 17U where she shot 4 for 9 in 11 games. Got to think she was more positioned on floor given the caliber of teammates.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure, based on both math and reading about Morgan's games, that she shoots threes fairly regularly. It's not as if she shot 50% based on 4 of 8 over 29 games. My guess is that she takes an average of about 2 per game. Morgan is both an inside and outside player. If the situation dictates, she'll take the 3 and can hit it.

Reaction Score

I don't want my bigs shooting three's. Rebound, rebound. rebound. Play inside the paint so the floor is balanced.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Being able to hit three-pointers is going to be critical this NCAA tournament and the next for one very big reason- Brittney Griner. She has so much defensive range from the basket to the arc that you need to hit a high percentage from behind the arc. That, plus transition points, are like gold against Baylor. If you get stuck in halfcourt sets and can't hit your perimeter shots, you're going to be hard-pressed to score enough to beat Baylor, no matter how good your own defense is.

So the more kids who can shoot 'em, the better.

I have watched a few Tuck games via streams, and my sense is that shooting a few threes is part of her game. How that translates to college remains to be seen, but she's certainly a versatile and talented player that should not be lost in the Breanna/Moriah hoopla of this class.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Being able to hit three-pointers is going to be critical this NCAA tournament and the next for one very big reason- Brittney Griner. She has so much defensive range from the basket to the arc that you need to hit a high percentage from behind the arc. That, plus transition points, are like gold against Baylor. If you get stuck in halfcourt sets and can't hit your perimeter shots, you're going to be hard-pressed to score enough to beat Baylor, no matter how good your own defense is.

So the more kids who can shoot 'em, the better.

I have watched a few Tuck games via streams, and my sense is that shooting a few threes is part of her game. How that translates to college remains to be seen, but she's certainly a versatile and talented player that should not be lost in the Breanna/Moriah hoopla of this class.
So we could have a big line up of 6'5" Stef, 6'4" Breanna, 6'2" Morgan, 6'0" Kaleena, and 5'9" ish Bria and they all shoot 40% or better from the arc. That would be good, right? ;)

Reaction Score
So we could have a big line up of 6'5" Stef, 6'4" Breanna, 6'2" Morgan, 6'0" Kaleena, and 5'9" ish Bria and they all shoot 40% or better from the arc. That would be good, right? ;)
In this lineup what position would Morgan play?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aside from the 3-point percentage, look at the overall FG%. She shoots an occasional three-ball and still shoots over 69%. That's a number that Tamika Williams Raymond would be proud of. In fact, 69% is just insane. I've never seen a shooting number that high for a season at any level. Morgan looks to be a very, very efficient player.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you have seen a shooting number that high, and it was on the college level. Tamika shot 71.4% as a soph, 75.9% as junior, and 70.4% as a senior. Her freshman year when she shot 65.8% was obviously a struggle.
Aside from the 3-point percentage, look at the overall FG%. She shoots an occasional three-ball and still shoots over 69%. That's a number that Tamika Williams Raymond would be proud of. In fact, 69% is just insane. I've never seen a shooting number that high for a season at any level. Morgan looks to be a very, very efficient player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you have seen a shooting number that high, and it was on the college level. Tamika shot 71.4% as a soph, 75.9% as junior, and 70.4% as a senior. Her freshman year when she shot 65.8% was obviously a struggle.
:D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, Ice. Some kids have higher standards than others. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My memory failed me again. I really should take the time to look things up. I thought that Tamika shot about 65%. 75.9% is truly insane. Well, if Morgan works really hard ....

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

With no intent to disparage Tamika -- I think it is fair to remember that a high percentage of her shots were made from close to the basket -- especially receiving perfect passes from her Tass-mates just to the right of the lane. She was "money" from there.

I think Morgan has been shooting a higher percentage of her baskets from "all over" the court.

Obviously, if Morgan has as good a career at UConn as Tamika had, we will all be very happy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My memory failed me again. I really should take the time to look things up. I thought that Tamika shot about 65%. 75.9% is truly insane. Well, if Morgan works really hard ....
She holds the NCAA record for a career at 70.3%.

Not sure why she doesn't hold the single season record. It is set at 72.4%. ?????

Reaction Score
She holds the NCAA record for a career at 70.3%.

Not sure why she doesn't hold the single season record. It is set at 72.4%. ?????

I'm pretty sure she did not have enough FGA to qualify. Only her junior year topped 72.4% and she only played about 20 minutes per game that season and missed a couple of games due to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom