Can football scholarships be split? | The Boneyard

Can football scholarships be split?

Reaction Score
I know that in some other NCAA sports, soccer being one, a school will give out a "half" scholarship. This is done with borderline or project type recruits. I haven't heard of any football recruits talk about being offered a half scholarsip. Does anyone know if this is done in football?

Reaction Score
I know that in some other NCAA sports, soccer being one, a school will give out a "half" scholarship. This is done with borderline or project type recruits. I haven't heard of any football recruits talk about being offered a half scholarsip. Does anyone know if this is done in football?

Not @ the FBS level: FBS Football teams are allowed 85 scholarships per year and they are only allowed to have 85 athletes on scholarship. They can’t divide that money up to give half scholarships to more athletes.

Same applies to D1 M/W Basketball and a few other head count sports.

Reaction Score
Not at the FBS level.

FBS programs like UConn can give a maximum of 85 full scholarships. In theory, they can give a player less than a full ride, however that "savings" can not be applied or used to increase the number of players receiving a scholarship above the 85 headcount limit.

FCS programs like CCSU can split football scholarships. Schools can give a maximum of 63 full scholarship equivalences that can be split; however they can not be split up to more than 85 players.

Reaction Score
FBS schools can certainly offer half-grants but they would be counted as full scholarships toward the 85, so there's no incentive to do so.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Full scholarships can only be granted to participants of six (6) college sports - Men's Football, Men's and Women's Basketball, Women's Gymnastics, both Tennis and both Volleyball. Each sport has a scholarship cap in terms of number of players.
The rest of the sports in D1 and D2 - the coaches of the other sports have a bucket of money that they can use to offer students - all these kids are on "partial scholarship" even if the amount of money the coach allows represents a "full boat" of expenses. Doesn't really matter the skill level even though most coaches will give the better athletes the equivalency of a free ride.
Junior Colleges, under the NJCAA can offer full and partial scholarships but not D3 schools. (D3 can give students money via a series of grants and work-study programs that can account for as much as 80% of the total cost of schooling).
As with everything else, Covid has allowed some temporary manipulation of some policy and monies but the above is the normal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcs1228

Top Bottom