Can DePaul get their 1st win over UConn? Allie Quiqley back from Europe hopes so | The Boneyard

Can DePaul get their 1st win over UConn? Allie Quiqley back from Europe hopes so

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Fun article from a DePaul point of view including the heart breaking loss DePaul suffered in 2008 during Quiqley's senior year. After Renee chokes on a tieing FT, Maya makes a All World defensive play stripping the ball from behind and calling TO. (Irony anyone?) And then the full court drive by Swannier to win the game in the last second.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Doug Bruno is 70 years old???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The last 1.6 seconds reminded me of the 1972 game with the U.S. v. U.S.S.R. The officials kept giving DePaul chances that they didn’t deserve after the player stepped on the line while inbounding the ball.

But the key was that we had a player giving maximum effort, making a great play, and being smart enough to call a timeout. We had Maya Moore and they didn’t. Let’s see if Paige can step into Maya’s rather large shoes.

Reaction Score
I was lucky enough to see that game in person and it was crazy. The last few seconds with DePaul leading and having a fast break, the crowd noise was unbelievable till the point Maya stole the ball (and the only reason she could do it was because the DePaul player dribbled with the hand closer to Maya. When Maya stole the ball the place became dead silent (i know it doesn't seem like that on TV but...). And then Swanier scored the winning basket. Wow

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that clip. That play by Maya in a big spot, and Stewie running down a South Florida breakaway from behind at full speed out of nowhere for a block, are 2 of my favorite 'effort' plays in basketball. Two stars that just have so much pride that they never give up anything, whether the play is in a big spot, or in the course of a game that is already decided.

Maya's total presence of mind to call the time out is the antithesis of what we saw vs Arkansas. If you're going to be a 'legend', those are the 'brain' plays that are up to you to be totally in tune with the situation. Maya bouncing on her toes defensively with her head on a swivel playing defense with total awareness on every offensive player. I love to see effort and awareness.

Lastly, others may not care, but not losing 2 in a row since 1993 is a mind blower, and an important achievement for me. I really, really, really want this game tomorrow. I hope these kids play with the mindset and commitment that the record will not fall on their watch. With that said, I wonder if they even know it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom