Can college basketball avoid a repeat of college football's calamity? | The Boneyard

Can college basketball avoid a repeat of college football's calamity?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ESPN Multiple Contributors - Aug 13, 2020

Which of the hurdles that derailed the 2020 college football season will have to be solved for men's and women's college basketball to be played in 2020-21?

"As college football heads toward an uncertain fate due to safety concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic, the issues surrounding a 2020-21 college basketball season have also begun knocking on the door. Two conferences -- the Ivy League and the Pac-12 -- have suspended competition until at least Jan. 1, meaning the nonconference portion of the schedule has already been altered."

Are this year's college basketball games DOA? After losing the NCAA tournaments in 2020, college basketball's leadership will need a plan to avoid a similar fate in 2021. ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas weighs in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's a near certainty that the first half will get wiped out, but they don't have to make a final decision for about two more months. Hopefully conference heads don't jump the gun and let things play out until their hands are forced. It would be nice if the NCAA took the lead instead of having it be done on a school by school or conference by conference basis. Either everyone pauses or no one does, and if you do, then everyone should get an extra year of eligibility to be fair. If you have a patchwork system, you could potentially have some roster games being played. For example, transfers might be an obvious problem, but then you could have players opting out to better line up the talent you coming in next year. Think Paige opting out this year knowing Azzi was coming next year while still getting to participate in other team activities (i.e. practice). Also see Florida saying all those B1G and Pac12 football players can come on down to Florida and play.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why are you asking? You are the all knowing Carnac who can predict and tell the future. You should be telling us.:)

Good question.

Good one Doggie. I literally laughed out loud at your comment. I didn't see it coming. :p

Reaction Score
In reading that ESPN article it sounds as though the NCAA is desperate to have a tournament
this season - almost a financial necessity for them. Perhaps it could be staged in a bubble
environment. Could we have a tournament without having some sort of regular season?

Stay tuned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom