can azzi still be redshirted? | The Boneyard

can azzi still be redshirted?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
in case she is unable to return... just wonderin'...
I believe the maximum games they can play is 4, in a red-shirted year.

How many games has she played in this year?

Reaction Score

Azzi has played in 7 games. Another injured player is Carolyn who has only played in 12 games. Not good at all when the team has played 24 games now.

Reaction Score
Well, let's see. NE, Texas, NC St, Duke, Iowa, Providence, ND. That makes 7.

Reaction Score
I think if you play one minute of the season there is no chance to consider it a "red shirt season." Azzi could apply for a medical hardship waiver.
She’s played too much to qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the rule about injury is playing no more than 30% of games and no games in the second half of the season. Azzi barely meets the first at 9 games, but barely misses the second by playing in the 16th of 31 games. Can the NCAA bend the rules? Unsure. I doubt that Azzi would want an extra year. I also think she’ll be back this month.

Reaction Score
The Medical Hardship Waiver was amended and now allows a player to apply if they play less than 30% of the games. It does stipulate that the games must be in the first half of the season and the injury must be season ending. So on the surface I would say she will not qualify.

Now with that said I was only able to read what is available to the public. In the end I wouldn't think she would be a person who would stay the extra year anyway.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score

4 is the number for football, for basketball it is 30% of regular season games.
She still qualifies as far as number of games played, but does not qualify because the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season and it should be determined and documented as "season-ending". There's some flexibility for that but the main issue is that she reinjured late.

Reaction Score
I think the rule about injury is playing no more than 30% of games and no games in the second half of the season. Azzi barely meets the first at 9 games, but barely misses the second by playing in the 16th of 31 games. Can the NCAA bend the rules? Unsure. I doubt that Azzi would want an extra year. I also think she’ll be back this month.

1. Actually the denominator in the formula would be 32 games because you take the number of games played by a team in the regular season and add one more, which is the minimum number of games a team will play in the postseason. Even with the correct denominator, however, she just misses.

2. Absolutely no chance of bending this rule. A few teams have wasted their time trying to appeal it, that is one rule that is cast in stone.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I still would hold her back to March; right before Tournament time.

Reaction Score
1. Actually the denominator in the formula would be 32 games because you take the number of games played by a team in the regular season and add one more, which is the minimum number of games a team will play in the postseason. Even with the correct denominator, however, she just misses.

2. Absolutely no chance of bending this rule. A few teams have wasted their time trying to appeal it, that is one rule that is cast in stone.
I will double check but I believe the rule was amended to include post season tournament games in the denominator
.https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/sar/d1/D1SAR_NewlyAdoptedHardshipWaiverLegislationPowerPoint.pdf

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Azzi has played in 7 games. Another injured player is Carolyn who has only played in 12 games. Not good at all when the team has played 24 games now.
Just a heads up for future reference, CFD is a "line", not a "lyn" if you're gonna spell it out. (like the song)

Sorry to be a spelling nazi, just caught my eye.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Balderdash!! We need Azzi this season to win the NC!!! Caroline too! Red shire blah!!!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Agree with that. From everything I can see and hear, Azzi looks like she's having a blast in college and being a member of the UConn student body and basketball team. Good for her. That said, I think she has definite professional intentions and will take the next step when it arises. Fully expect that from a player like Olivia Miles, for instance, as well. While 'Liv hasn't been injured, her second semester appearance during what was her high school senior season could be extended by the Covid rule. Doubt she'll take it. Next step awaits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom