Can anyone take a meteorologist seriously anymore? | The Boneyard

Can anyone take a meteorologist seriously anymore?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
How can they keep talking to us like they know what the weather is going to be? Especially them there "extended forecasts"

The only time they're accurate is when they're standing outside and telling us "it's raining on me"

I think they're batting like 500 on forecasts just 24 hours out, maybe below 350 in March in CT (we'll call it spring training)

PS: any updates on Hurley?

Reaction Score
Did you before? It's the only profession I'm aware of where you take a basic educated guess, get it wrong, claim that the model was wrong, and somehow profit from the experience.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Basically, their jobs are hard, it's impossible to predict weather and if they told us every time their models changed people would be furious so instead they double down on their original forecast. This is from a FB friend who is a meteorologist

Reaction Score
Long Island got record snow. So it isn't like the storm didn't show up - just "where" kept changing. And it snowed a ton - luckily it was warm enough that most of it melted when it hit the ground. Had it been 7-8 degrees cooler in NYC it would have been well over a foot, but it never cooled off so we have a bunch of slush.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Are you really harping on the fact that humans aren’t able to accurately predict the future? How bizarre.

Their job is to make predictions based on data that a) is sometimes not good, and b) has a billion variables changing at the same time.

When you have to make predictions based on imperfect data... you aren’t going to get it right all the time. They admit as much. The only weird part is people getting worked up when it doesn’t pan out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction Score
Weather keeps getting weirder, meteorologists get it wrong more.

Reaction Score
The average joe does not understand how difficult Meteorology is. It's a hobby of mine and it's downright impossible sometimes. They have 5 or 6 models they are watching and when nearly all of them are saying the same thing, what are they supposed to do? Ignore science?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The average joe does not understand how difficult Meteorology is. It's a hobby of mine and it's downright impossible sometimes. They have 5 or 6 models they are watching and when nearly all of them are saying the same thing, what are they supposed to do? Ignore science?

Well....I have a few people I'd like to introduce you to.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
How can they keep talking to us like they know what the weather is going to be? Especially them there "extended forecasts"

The only time they're accurate is when they're standing outside and telling us "it's raining on me"

I think they're batting like 500 on forecasts just 24 hours out, maybe below 350 in March in CT (we'll call it spring training)

PS: any updates on Hurley?
Seems like we can't. Janice Dean is the only Meteorologist worth the title. Two weeks ago where I am by Hershey I had my car that I store for the winter out. Three weeks ago people had convertibles down. Windows open in the house. A couple of times hit 60's here. Then rain, snow, blizzard conditions. You have to be a genius to predict this winter.

willie99

Reaction Score
So everyone essentially agrees they can't make accurate predictions, yet they keep talking to us like they can and we still listen to them

OK, got it

I'll tell you, some dude working in Phoenix was always right, everyday was sunny and 95 degrees

Aruba too, they're pretty accurate down there, probably batting 980

mostly sunny, 85 degrees and windy, every day of the year

willie99

Reaction Score
Were they predicting Hurley to Pitt? Seriously, they need to stick with weather.

I hope so, I hope they're predicting UConn to Pitt

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So everyone essentially agrees they can't make accurate predictions, yet they keep talking to us like they can and we still listen to them

OK, got it

I'll tell you, some dude working in Phoenix was always right, everyday was sunny and 95 degrees

Aruba too, they're pretty accurate down there, probably batting 980

mostly sunny, 85 degrees and windy, every day of the year
No the problem is you believing that they put things out there as if they are 100% locked and will never change.

That is not how most meteorologists present it. Most openly admitted that this storm in particular was hard to forecast for a number of reasons. (Except maybe the NWS. They really screwed this one).

Sorry your world was shattered that the storm stayed a few miles to the south of where imperfect models thought it might be 2 days ago.

Reaction Score
They get it right almost every day, calm down, ya big baby. Go ahead and stop checking the weather entirely and let me know how that works out for you.

No, don't you know that it only counts if it's wrong, so they're actually 0% for all eternity.

Reaction Score
No the problem is you believing that they put things out there as if they are 100% locked and will never change.

That is not how most meteorologists present it. Most openly admitted that this storm in particular was hard to forecast for a number of reasons. (Except maybe the NWS. They really screwed this one).

Sorry your world was shattered that the storm stayed a few miles to the south of where imperfect models thought it might be 2 days ago.

50% accurate

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have a contract out on all forecasters. Sitting at Bradley now to fly a day late to Myrtle Beach after the first forecast for yesterday made it look hellacious. Like we’d have a miserable time getting from downstate to Windsor Locks. At the airport and at least 20 miles south there is zero snow.

Reaction Score
I once read if a weatherman in L.A. predicted "sunny tomorrow" he would be right over 90% of the time. The same article said the average L.A. weatherman was right about 85% of the time. Don;t know if that's true but it is plausible.

Yes, but they can forecast the weather for the year 2100 to a tenth of a degree. It's amazing.

The real question is could you keep our job if you got it wrong as often as the weatherman?

Reaction Score
I have a contract out on all forecasters. Sitting at Bradley now to fly a day late to Myrtle Beach after the first forecast for yesterday made it look hellacious. Like we’d have a miserable time getting from downstate to Windsor Locks. At the airport and at least 20 miles south there is zero snow.

It will all be worth it when you and rich play a round of golf at Kiawah.

Reaction Score
Oh please save it.

Next you're going to try and tell me the earth is round instead of flat.

Reaction Score
The town my uncle lives in on LI got 19" yesterday. Thank god they were wrong re: Connecticut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom