Can a stacked team win without a great coach? | The Boneyard

Can a stacked team win without a great coach?

Reaction Score
I am biased but I think DH is the best coach in the game. Granted, we've re recruited really well, but we still weren't loaded with your traditional UK/Duke/KU class of all 5stars. Here are some questions to consider:

1) this year is full of big money rosters within mediocre programs. Which teams will make their coaches look better than they are?

2) which coach will win despite an average roster?

3) historically, can you point to instances where a coach won a Natty with a mediocre team, or vice versa?

Reaction Score
I think Rutgers and IU classes will make it Iook like SP and MW have finally figured it out. Note* I said "look like"

Reaction Score
This will sound crazy to say on this board but number 3 was satisfied by KO in 2014. That team - by all metrics standards, should not have won a title. Yet, for that season, which really didn’t have great teams anywhere, perhaps apart from Louisville, UConn had one of the hardest paths and got it done.

awy

Reaction Score
cbb is getting better, probably not?

the best example of a stacked team that didn't win because of bad coaching was when duke had zion.

Reaction Score
The best example of a stacked team not getting it done was the 1999 Duke blue Devils

William Avery – NBA
Shane Battier – NBA
Corey Maggette – NBA
Elton Brand – NBA
Travon Langdon – NBA

And all went in the first 14 if I remember correctly.

Can anybody remember which team beat them?

Reaction Score
This will sound crazy to say on this board but number 3 was satisfied by KO in 2014. That team - by all metrics standards, should not have won a title. Yet, for that season, which really didn’t have great teams anywhere, perhaps apart from Louisville, UConn had one of the hardest paths and got it done.
Agreed but we had the best player in the country and he played the most important position. We weren't at all deep with talent and we were a donut at center for a national champion but the best player in the country, Boat, and Daniels gave us that big three you need to go on a run in the tournament. Giffey would've been a top 50 recruit if he was American and he gave us the three point shooting and a willingness to be that jack of all trades guy that winning teams need.

Reaction Score
The best example of a stacked team not getting it done was the 1999 Duke blue Devils

William Avery – NBA
Shane Battier – NBA
Corey Maggette – NBA
Elton Brand – NBA
Travon Langdon – NBA

I'll have to check...
I'm curious how people view those 90-91 UNLV teams? Was it them or Tark?

Reaction Score
I'll have to check...
I'm curious how people view those 90-91 UNLV teams? Was it them or Tark?
I get that he had a lot of dirty money players, but Atari was not a bad coach. That 90 team played harder than anyone, on top of having the most talent.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’d probably put 2011 in the same category. We had no business winning with the talent we had. Kemba Walker was special though.

I don’t think we’re loaded with 5*s like past Duke, UK, etc. teams. But would anyone say that we didn’t have head and shoulders more talent than anyone these past 2 years?

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Dan is the best coach in the game. However, I tend to think we have the best coaching staff in the game and that each of the guys is integral to our success. Based on their willingness to stick around, I think they may agree.

Reaction Score
In terms of a stacked team winning with a bad coach - maybe Dean Smith? Guy had so much talent on so many teams, but I think he only won two titles.

Reaction Score

William Avery – NBA
Shane Battier – NBA
Corey Maggette – NBA
Elton Brand – NBA
Travon Langdon – NBA

And how many NBA players that winning team had ??

Reaction Score
To win a title you basically have to be a really good to great coach. There's really no exceptions in the last 20 years. To lose in the title game the bar is much much lower though, so you can definitely luck into some deep runs as a mediocre coach

IMG_7992.jpeg

Reaction Score
To win a title you basically have to be a really good to great coach. There's really no exceptions in the last 20 years. To lose in the title game the bar is much much lower though, so you can definitely luck into some deep runs as a mediocre coach

View attachment 103711
Ollie sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm also not a fan of Tony Bennett. He has a great record and his teams play defense but his offense is unwatchable and other coaches seem to have figured him out.

Reaction Score
Ollie sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm also not a fan of Tony Bennett. He has a great record and his teams play defense but his offense is unwatchable and other coaches seem to have figured him out.
Yeah I think the shine has worn off of Tony Bennett. I never liked him because that style of play is just awful to watch, but at least now every commentator isn't fawning over how difficult it is to play Virginia with no prep every March

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Leaving aside what happened afterward, what's your personal take on how Ollie notched 6 consecutive victories, defeating Martelli, Wright, Izzo, Hoiberg, Donovan, and Calipari (who have won a total of 6 National Championships), and noting that each of the defeated opponents were at the top of their respective conferences, or had the top-ranked freshman class?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

View attachment 103711
Feel like Scott Drew also sticks out to go with Bennett. Been at Baylor since 2003 and had a random spring of success during this time.

That 2021 squad was super duper talented though.

Reaction Score
Leaving aside what happened afterward, what's your personal take on how Ollie notched 6 consecutive victories, defeating Martelli, Wright, Izzo, Hoiberg, Donovan, and Calipari (who have won a total of 6 National Championships), and noting that each of the defeated opponents were at the top of their respective conferences, or had the top-ranked freshman class?
A coach and a team that was on a heater. Ollie pushed all the right buttons and Shabazz was the best player in the country. Stellar guard play can cover up other deficiencies teams have in the tournament and we had the best guards. They got under the skin of the (MSU, Florida, and Kentucky) backcourts defensively and had those offenses discombobulated because of it. On offense Bazz and Boat bailed us out over and over again at the end of the shot clock. Add in Daniels becoming that third scoring option that nobody really had an answer for with the best ft shooting I've ever seen and it was a difficult team to stop. Playing games at MSG and avoiding Louisville helped.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing about the same two coaches. I don't think anyone calls them "great" coaches today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom