OT: Cam Newton to the Pats. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Cam Newton to the Pats.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget they also resigned the McCourtys and thuney.

How did that help their offense?

1) For years and years, it didn't matter who was on offense. Brady made them better.
2) Last year, the offense suffers....it's not Brady's fault. It's because Brady doesn't have any weapons.
3) This year, it's now Brady's fault they struggled last year. And they still don't have any weapons, but are going to win the division because they now have Cam Newton.....who had major foot issues all of last year.

Makes perfect sense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was never a big Cam fan but I have a feeling this will work out rather nicely for the Pats (based on the fact that CM is healthy and stays that way)
The guy is a freak athlete and brings a very physical presence to the offense at a position that was basically all brains and finesse - It will be great for short yardage situations.
A different look will be refreshing but if I were a Pats fan I would have liked to have TB back
Bill B will reign Cam in to the Pats way or Cam will have a very short stint
It is worth the shot

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
This is definitely low risk for the pats. I have a hard time believing that Cam has any interest in becoming a true system quarterback, which is where I think this relationship will ultimately fall apart. He doesn't have the football IQ of Brady and I really think that in the pats system IQ is far more important than athleticism, especially at the QB position. (Keep in mind I am an extremely butt-hurt Jets fan)

Reaction Score
Jets fan here. It's impossible to knock a cheap incentive-laden deal. While I think Cam is physically done I don't like Belichick having his hands on a potential weapon like Cam.

I'm in line with those who've said Cam played QB like an RB, he'll have the career length of an RB. If he can't be mobile anymore and he's little more than a pocket passer he's not going to be all that effective. I think he'll be injury-prone for the rest of his career too. That being said, the Patriots will go 11-5 and win the division.

Reaction Score
He actually might do well with an O-Line that can protect him in the pocket. He never really had that in Carolina.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

willie99

Reaction Score
2 years at $25M/per is what was reported, which is basically what he got in Tampa.

I don't think Belichick offered Brady more than one year. I think that was Brady's biggest reason for leaving

With an emphasis on "I think"

willie99

Reaction Score
So you’d rather watch Cam Newton who hasn’t played in a year for one season over bringing Brady back for a final year.

Belichick is the GOAT, I enjoy watching him
toy with the haters year after year after year

willie99

Reaction Score
One year for one million dollars. An incentive rich contract

That's essentially a free roll for the Patriots, and Cam evidently believes he has something to prove.

Comparing Brady's demands to Cam's contract is just a tad bit silly. Totally incompatible

Reaction Score
One year for one million dollars. An incentive rich contract

That's essentially a free roll for the Patriots, and Cam evidently believes he has something to prove.

Comparing Brady's demands to Cam's contract is just a tad bit silly. Totally incompatible

Well, sure he has something to prove. He's a 31 year old former MVP that no one wants. He's a rushing QB with poor throwing accuracy who has to hope his legs still have miles left on them to get one more decent contract.

Reaction Score
What's new with the Jets ?

Everything points to Darnold making a marked improvement this year. Smart draft. Defense could be pretty decent. No Brady in the division. Looking forward to the season, obviously with guarded Jets fan optimism.

I'm all done on Jamal Adams. I'd trade him in a split second if someone offered two 1st rounders. If that offer didn't come (and I don't think it will seeing his true colors now), I'd have him pout his way through the next year of his rookie contract. Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald played their 4th year in their rookie deal before cashing in. No reason a safety on a middling team shouldn't.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We all get the contract difference. Per my post above, why haven't they gotten any help on offense with the extra money?

Not needed. Improvement on offense since last season:
  • Andrews at C
  • Wynne at LT all season (instead of half+ IR)
  • Shaw Mason healthy
  • Edelman healthy
  • Vitale at FB vs Develin on IR
  • Harry not on IT half the season
  • Jakob Johnson healthy
  • Yodney Cajuste 3rd round OL not on IR (hope he beats out Cannon)
  • Froholdt 4th round OL not on IR
  • Sanu not hurt (injured almost immediately after signing)
  • Asiasi and Keane two 3rd round TEs
  • Lacosse TE hurt most of 2019
  • Damien Harris ready to contribute at RB
I won't count the three late round OL picks this year.

There is no extra money. They have no cap space. The defense was where they needed to replace departing players. Offense only lost Brady for Cam/Stidham. It improved in every other way possible (and I think improved at QB).

Reaction Score
Belichick is the GOAT, I enjoy watching him
toy with the haters year after year after year
Belichick is the GOAT who just jumped the shark. Dumbest move ever dumping Brady instead of giving him a 2 year dignified swan song. Bad business. Adding Can Newton just takes the cake. They can hide behind caps all the want. Nobody’s buying.

Reaction Score
  • Andrews at C
  • Shaw Mason healthy
  • Edelman healthy
  • Jakob Johnson healthy

There is no extra money. They have no cap space. The defense was where they needed to replace departing players. Offense only lost Brady for Cam/Stidham. It improved in every other way possible (and I think improved at QB).
They have space if they want to go over the cap and pay the guy that literally made the franchise worth $3.5 billion. When Kraft bought it he paid 175 Million for one of the worst franchises in the NFL. I think they could have bit the bullet. This all about Bill and making Kraft choose. End of story.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They have space if they want to go over the cap and pay the guy that literally made the franchise worth $3.5 billion. When Kraft bought it he paid 175 Million for one of the worst franchises in the NFL. I think they could have bit the bullet. This all about Bill and making Kraft choose. End of story.

Nonsense. Bill made Brady, not the other way around. And it wasn't one of the worst franchises from a performance perspective. Not even close. It did have the worst stadium, what a dump. Brady should have retired after that last SuperBowl, he's done.

Reaction Score
Brady should have retired after that last SuperBowl, he's done.

Classic Boston fan. Kick him right in the shins on his way out.

And the answer is a 31 yr old QB who isn't accurate, has had rotator cuff surgery, relies on his legs to make plays and missed all of last season with foot surgery.....oh, and by the way? A QB no one else wanted.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I would’ve signed Winston I think.

Just better arm talent. Imagine if bill could corral his turnovers.

But bill will maximize Newton’s strengths. It what he does best.

Pats OL should be pretty darn strong and they have some rb talent to pound the rock.

Reaction Score
This Giant's fan couldn't care less what happens in that division but I do find it amusing to see Jets fans eviscerate every Patriots move. Will anyone really be surprised if Belichick and Newton lead them to another division championship?

As they say, jealousy is one ugly emotion.

Reaction Score
This Giant's fan couldn't care less what happens in that division but I do find it amusing to see Jets fans eviscerate every Patriots move. Will anyone really be surprised if Belichick and Newton lead them to another division championship?

As they say, jealousy is one ugly emotion.

I'd say it's just as likely they cut him over him leading them to a division championship.

Reaction Score
I'd say it's just as likely they cut him over him leading them to a division championship.

Yeah, that's probably true.

I would suspect that's why the only people hyperventilating about this move are Jets fans. If it works, great. If it doesn't, no big deal.

Reaction Score
  • Andrews at C
  • Shaw Mason healthy
  • Edelman healthy
  • Jakob Johnson healthy

Still lacking speed receivers.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Bill made Brady, not the other way around. And it wasn't one of the worst franchises from a performance perspective. Not even close. It did have the worst stadium, what a dump. Brady should have retired after that last SuperBowl, he's done.
He’s done? He’d be an upgrade for a majority of teams in NFL at the QB position next season.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Still lacking speed receivers.

I think that's partly by design. I can't recall where I read it, but there was an article talking about what Belichick values in receivers and speed was low on the list. I'm more concerned that our RB aren't very fast.

Reaction Score
I think that's partly by design. I can't recall where I read it, but there was an article talking about what Belichick values in receivers and speed was low on the list. I'm more concerned that our RB aren't very fast.

So, are you saying, in a speed game, you don't have speed at QB, RB, WR or TE?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom