OT: Cam Newton to the Pats. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Cam Newton to the Pats.

Reaction Score
If you’re going to make a run at the SB. You pay Brady what he deserves. He took restructuring year after year in his deal to help the team.

Or you get Cam Newton for a year on the cheap? Ugh.
I think they’ve lost too much to make a run, but in Bill I trust. Maybe Newton gets healthy and plays over his head...

Reaction Score
I didn’t follow the negotiations, but was Brady interested in only one year, at a price near this?

Not a bad one-year experiment with Newton imo.
I think he wanted multiple years... maybe too many.

Reaction Score
I think they’ve lost too much to make a run, but in Bill I trust. Maybe Newton gets healthy and plays over his head...

The Pats as usual played the market right. Rumor had it when the FA was hot Cam and the Pats had mutual interest, Pats waited for his price to drop. If Stidham wins the job will Cam accept a role as a backup, if thats the case do they just cut him.

Reaction Score
Bill’s got a full-on clown show going. His ego will be his own downfall. I’ll be watching Tampa Bay.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
My take:
Absolutely worth the gamble for the price. Cam has been a dual threat guy who wasn't always super dangerous in the pocket. I dont know how much running he has left or that NE plans to do with him, but I think his best football is behind him. That said he could be healthy and do better now.
I dont think Stidham is any good. Of course the team is gonna say they like him he's all they had. They will be hunting qbs next draft is my guess. I'm guess they have their sights on Trevor Lawrence

Reaction Score
My take:
Absolutely worth the gamble for the price. Cam has been a dual threat guy who wasn't always super dangerous in the pocket. I dont know how much running he has left or that NE plans to do with him, but I think his best football is behind him. That said he could be healthy and do better now.
I dont think Stidham is any good. Of course the team is gonna say they like him he's all they had. They will be hunting qbs next draft is my guess. I'm guess they have their sights on Trevor Lawrence
Everyone will have their sites on Lawrence. They almost certainly won't be picking first and no team in their right mind will trade the pick barring something extremely bizarre.

Reaction Score
Could've gotten Cam Newton-lite in Colin Kappernick on the cheap. Same player and Kap has less wear and tear on his body.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t seem like a fair comparison because Brady wasn‘t an option at this point.

Do you know what the last offer/demand was with Brady?
No, he doesn’t. Because he’s an idiot. He thinks the Pats could have signed Brady got free. He has no clue what player value is.

Reaction Score
Cam Newton couldn’t walk this year.
This guy is just a troll, for a guy that hates the Patriots he sure has a lot to say about them . From what I've read and seen on the boneyard patriot fans don't cherry pick and troll the Giants on every tidbit that comes up. You can do better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This guy is just a troll, for a guy that hates the Patriots he sure has a lot to say about them . From what I've read and seen on the boneyard patriot fans don't cherry pick and troll the Giants on every tidbit that comes up. You can do better.
He's not a Giants fan.

Worse: Jets.

Reaction Score
And saved $40 plus million. Moron

Okay. I'll play.

Last year, the knock was that Brady didn't have any weapons. Okay. You saved 40m and on offense they signed....
  • Brian Hoyer, QB.
  • Matthew Slater, wide receiver.
  • Damiere Byrd, wide receiver.
  • Danny Vitale, FB.
Cam overthrowing Mohammed Sanu is a way better plan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Okay. I'll play.
Last year, the knock was that Brady didn't have any weapons. Okay. You saved 40m and on offense they signed....
  • Brian Hoyer, QB.
  • Danny Vitale, FB.
The thing is, you know the Pats will win the division again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Which is why the best he could do is a one year deal for a million bucks.

Why are you acting like he's the guaranteed starter? He couldn't throw the ball in Carolina. People within the organization are high on Stidham. Does Belichick strike you as a guy that picks his starters based on reputation?

You act like whether or not Brady came back was entirely in New England's control. That's just not true.

I'm going to forget that this a troll I'm dealing with and answer the question honestly: last year was not particularly enjoyable to watch, the offense looked horrible. As HuskyHawk pointed out Brady's demand that he "trust" his receivers led to a limited pool of available options on offense and delayed the development of potential contributors (N'Keal Harry).

With the money Brady wanted there was simply no way that they were going to be able to compete with the upper echelon teams in the AFC (and they're not going to be able to this year anyway). Personally, I was glad that he decided to move on and was looking forward to seeing what Stidham can do. I don't know why that's such a hard idea for a troll to accept. If Newton beats him out, great. If he doesn't, great.

Either way, they won 6 _____ rings since I graduated from college and I'm not that old. It's all fine. You can't process that. That's fine too.

This. This is the answer. Brady was not the QB who could lead the new, revised Patriots offense. They are changing things up and need mobility. No money to pay him, and really no desire to have him back in my opinion.

Cam is a low risk, high reward gamble. If he is good Cam, great. If not, you play Stidham, which was already your plan. Cam fits the style of play going forward. Mobile QB with two TE, or one plus a FB or H-back, running run pass option schemes, multiple play action, motion sets. Dan Orlovsky tweeted as much today, comparing the Patriots look on offense to the Ravens.

I think Bill has wanted to make this change for some time but it wouldn't work with Brady. Would waste Brady's skill set.

Reaction Score
This. This is the answer. Brady was not the QB who could lead the new, revised Patriots offense. They are changing things up and need mobility. No money to pay him, and really no desire to have him back in my opinion.

Cam is a low risk, high reward gamble. If he is good Cam, great. If not, you play Stidham, which was already your plan. Cam fits the style of play going forward. Mobile QB with two TE, or one plus a FB or H-back, running run pass option schemes, multiple play action, motion sets. Dan Orlovsky tweeted as much today, comparing the Patriots look on offense to the Ravens.

I think Bill has wanted to make this change for some time but it wouldn't work with Brady. Would waste Brady's skill set.

Bull.

Stidham is not a rushing QB. In 3 college seasons, he rushed 211 times for 224 yds (1.1 ypc). If Belichick couldn't wait to employ a more mobile scheme, why was Stidham the plan going forward?

Reaction Score
I’m not a pats fan.

But the rest of that division is pretty Inept.

I’m also not a josh Allen believer.
I wouldn’t sleep on Miami. If they can get Tua on the field sooner rather than later they should surprise people this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bull.

Stidham is not a rushing QB. In 3 college seasons, he rushed 211 times for 224 yds (1.1 ypc). If Belichick couldn't wait to employ a more mobile scheme, why was Stidham the plan going forward?

Bull yourself, those stats are minus sacks. Did you even watch the pre-season?

"Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham officially finished the 2017 season with 103 carries for 153 yards and four touchdowns. But Stidham didn’t tuck the ball and run more than 100 times last season. Although the NFL counts sack yardage against a team’s passing total — they aren’t running plays, after all — college football does not. Stidham’s rushing production includes the 35 sacks he took and the lost yardage that came with them.

Those sack-influenced numbers hide the truth that, last season, Stidham was actually an effective runner for a quarterback who is known much more for his arm than his legs.

When you exclude sacks and plays with fumbled snaps, Stidham had 61 carries for 372 yards last season. That’s an average of 6.10 yards per carry, which nearly matches that of Kam Martin, Auburn’s projected starting running back this season (6.12)."

Reaction Score
Tom Brady won an MVP more recently than Cam if anyone was wondering..

But yeah this isn’t Cam over Brady and saying that is dumb dumb dumb dumb, completely different contract situation

Reaction Score
The thing is, you know the Pats will win the division again.
They realistically won't win the division, but they will finish ahead of the Sam Darnold led Jets.

Reaction Score
Tom Brady won an MVP more recently than Cam if anyone was wondering..

But yeah this isn’t Cam over Brady and saying that is dumb dumb dumb dumb, completely different contract situation

We all get the contract difference. Per my post above, why haven't they gotten any help on offense with the extra money?

Reaction Score
Okay. I'll play.

• Brian Hoyer, QB.
  • Danny Vitale, FB.
Didn't think it was possible, but you have attained status formerly reserved only for Chief. Ignore button, say hello to Dumpster.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Okay. I'll play.

• Brian Hoyer, QB.
  • Danny Vitale, FB.

Don’t forget they also resigned the McCourtys and thuney.

Reaction Score
We all get the contract difference. Per my post above, why haven't they gotten any help on offense with the extra money?
B/c they are last or near last in available cap space in NFL... not sure what the point is

Reaction Score
He's not a Giants fan.

Worse: Jets.

What I would have guessed. I work with a couple transplanted New Yorkers who are Jets fans and they spend exponentially more time sending me links to every potential negative story about New England than they do ever talking about the team they root for.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still don't understand the vitriol coming from the OP. I can't nail down the central outrage about taking a flyer on back class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom