OT: Cam Newton to the Pats. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Cam Newton to the Pats.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, are you saying, in a speed game, you don't have speed at QB, RB, WR or TE?

They just drafted some reasonable speed at TE. Cam Newton recorded a 4.59 40 when young. Stidham 4.81. Brady was a 5.17. Harry an unofficial 4.53 (not slow). Vitale, at FB is faster than Burkhead and almost as fast as other backs. Damiere Byrd ran a blazing 4.25 40 officially and was told he ran a 4.16 at pro day.

Point is, Bill has been burned by going for speed players who aren't good football players. Edelman isn't that fast. Welker wasn't very fast. Deion Branch wasn't very fast. Troy Brown wasn't very fast. I think speed is most lacking at RB, where the group is collectively OK, but lacks any change of pace speed back. Even the new little guy JJ Taylor isn't all that fast.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
They just drafted some reasonable speed at TE. Cam Newton recorded a 4.59 40 when young. Stidham 4.81. Brady was a 5.17. Harry an unofficial 4.53 (not slow). Vitale, at FB is faster than Burkhead and almost as fast as other backs. Damiere Byrd ran a blazing 4.25 40 officially and was told he ran a 4.16 at pro day.

Point is, Bill has been burned by going for speed players who aren't good football players. Edelman isn't that fast. Welker wasn't very fast. Deion Branch wasn't very fast. Troy Brown wasn't very fast. I think speed is most lacking at RB, where the group is collectively OK, but lacks any change of pace speed back. Even the new little guy JJ Taylor isn't all that fast.

BB and Seattle in particular have been better at using the 3 cone as their measure of explosiveness and athleticism. My friend sent me an article about it a few years ago. I couldn’t find it now.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. Bill made Brady, not the other way around. And it wasn't one of the worst franchises from a performance perspective. Not even close. It did have the worst stadium, what a dump. Brady should have retired after that last SuperBowl, he's done.
Usually agree with you, but I don’t recall Bill out on the field making reads and throws. I remember very well in the early 90s when they had maybe 14,000 season ticket holders and were begging for people to commit. Parcells got the ball rolling and Bledsoe put the team in play. My point was they could have honored a guy who took it on the chin year over for the team with a below market salary only to be shown the door. I remember the cluster that Belichick created in Cleveland.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Usually agree with you, but I don’t recall Bill out on the field making reads and throws. I remember very well in the early 90s when they had maybe 14,000 season ticket holders and were begging for people to commit. Parcells got the ball rolling and Bledsoe put the team in play. My point was they could have honored a guy who took it on the chin year over for the team with a below market salary only to be shown the door. I remember the cluster that Belichick created in Cleveland.

I recall sellout crowds back in the Grogan years. Not all the time. Not like now. And the stadium being aluminum bleachers didn't help. Belichick won in Cleveland and they were stupid to fire him. I've been on "The List" for years, maybe I'll get closer to actually getting tickets. Hell, just game day tickets on stub hub might finally not be $400+.

Simple reality is that Brady has already said he decided to go two years ago. He wasn't coming back. It wasn't lack of "weapons", he's old, he's won plenty and he wants to be in a less structured more fun program. He keeps saying as much all the time. He wasn't having fun. Meanwhile, Bill has talked for the last several years about how hard it is to defend these mobile QBs with the plays that jumped to the NFL from college. He has wanted to employ some of that, but Brady can't run it (and his skills would be wasted doing so). So I view it as a win win.

Reaction Score
Belichick is banking on a 31 year old qb vs a 43 year old its not about what Brady has done its what each guy is now, Brady very well could win the Super Bowl and could very well hit father time hes in uncharted territory at age 43. Belichick philosophy is its better to let a guy go a year early then keep him a year too late. I think it was just time for both sides to move on.

The Titans won with Tannehill at qb last year, a 31 year old Cam should do just fine as long as hes healthy. I believe Belichick and Mcdaniels wanted to go with a more mobile qb, a TOP offense gives them the best chance against teams like KC and Baltimore your not gonna outscore them. The Pats will have 100 mill in cap space if Cam has a big year you could work out a multi year deal with Cam give him a bit more money, if he wants more then you move on, let a dumb team like the Jets give him 100 mill.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Belichick is the GOAT who just jumped the shark. Dumbest move ever dumping Brady instead of giving him a 2 year dignified swan song. Bad business. Adding Can Newton just takes the cake. They can hide behind caps all the want. Nobody’s buying.

I'm buying, and haters are batting zero zero zero

It's a business

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Bill has talked for the last several years about how hard it is to defend these mobile QBs with the plays that jumped to the NFL from college. He has wanted to employ some of that, but Brady can't run it (and his skills would be wasted doing so). So I view it as a win win.

[Looks at 2018 draft.

Sees the Pats take Sony Michel at 31

Looks at the 32nd pick.]

Dies.

Reaction Score
Everything points to Darnold making a marked improvement this year. Smart draft. Defense could be pretty decent. No Brady in the division. Looking forward to the season, obviously with guarded Jets fan optimism.

I'm all done on Jamal Adams. I'd trade him in a split second if someone offered two 1st rounders. If that offer didn't come (and I don't think it will seeing his true colors now), I'd have him pout his way through the next year of his rookie contract. Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald played their 4th year in their rookie deal before cashing in. No reason a safety on a middling team shouldn't.
Lol. You are a total clown show this thread. A whiny jealous jets fan. L-O-L

Reaction Score
Lol. You are a total clown show this thread. A whiny jealous jets fan. L-O-L

Right. I mean, this is the only topic on sports radio all week but I bring it up here and that’s a clown show. Go back under your rock.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Right. I mean, this is the only topic on sports radio all week but I bring it up here and that’s a clown show.
Your topic wasn't Cam, it was trolling Pats fans.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
[Looks at 2018 draft.

Looks at the 32nd pick.]

Dies.

Clearly we weren't drafting Jackson. But I was shocked that we took Michel over Chubb. Evidently because he was supposedly a good pass protection blocker.

Reaction Score
Your topic wasn't Cam, it was trolling Pats fans.

Well, they've made it easy with their actions over the last year or so. You know, starting with Bobby Kraft getting a handjob at an Asian rub and tug. Or did that never really happen?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, they've made it easy with their actions over the last year or so. You know, starting with Bobby Kraft getting a handjob at an Asian rub and tug. Or did that never really happen?
But why do you think anyone cares about this Kraft stuff? Plus, you should look for a new challenge. It's a one-way battle. Pats fans can't glove on you because it's all been said by Jets fans already. Even your best player hates the Jets. Where do you go from there?

Reaction Score
But why do you think anyone cares about this Kraft stuff? Plus, you should look for a new challenge. It's a one-way battle. Pats fans can't glove on you because it's all been said by Jets fans already. Even your best player hates the Jets. Where do you go from there?

So, Pats fans can rub whatever they want in anyone's face....but can't be criticized for anything ever. Got it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So, Pats fans can rub whatever they want in anyone's face....but can't be criticized for anything ever. Got it.
Criticize away. But who really cares about the owner? The Jets have a horrible owner but if I started trying to make hay about that; wouldn't you say "What's that got to do with me?"

Reaction Score
I think that's partly by design. I can't recall where I read it, but there was an article talking about what Belichick values in receivers and speed was low on the list. I'm more concerned that our RB aren't very fast.
Speed by itself is meaningless, but the ability to be free of your defender in 3 seconds is critical.

Reaction Score
Criticize away. But who really cares about the owner? The Jets have a horrible owner but if I started trying to make hay about that; wouldn't you say "What's that got to do with me?"

I mean....it's embarrassing, no? Didn't his wife just die? And he's at some filthy strip mall with a prostitute before the AFC Championship game? Eew.

Reaction Score
I mean....it's embarrassing, no? Didn't his wife just die? And he's at some filthy strip mall with a prostitute before the AFC Championship game? Eew.

Is it embarrassing to Kraft? Sure. His family? Sure. Is it embarrassing to anyone who isn't Kraft? No. Why? They have nothing to do with it.

Are you so desperate and pathetic that this is what you have to resort to? Let me help you out. There are many other things to mock the Patriots, and their fans for. I'll give you a few examples to work with:

1. The design on our super bowl rings could be better;
2. we only have won a paltry 6 super bowls in 17 years for a pathetic 35% success rate;
3. we embarrassingly missed the AFC title game three straight years from 08 - 10;
4. we've only been to 13 AFC titles games since the turn of the century. There have been twenty of them. I mean, what were we even doing during the other seven?????; and
5. Our players rarely ever get to go to the pro bowl (though, to be fair, it's usually because their playing in the super bowl).

I hope this helps you in your pitiful never-ending crusade to be a grown man who cannot keep his emotions about the Patriots off the internet.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Almost like having a coach named Rex with weird fetishes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least she was age appropriate

Reaction Score
Is it embarrassing to Kraft? Sure. His family? Sure. Is it embarrassing to anyone who isn't Kraft? No. Why? They have nothing to do with it.

Are you so desperate and pathetic that this is what you have to resort to? Let me help you out. There are many other things to mock the Patriots, and their fans for. I'll give you a few examples to work with:

1. The design on our super bowl rings could be better;
2. we only have won a paltry 6 super bowls in 17 years for a pathetic 35% success rate;
3. we embarrassingly missed the AFC title game three straight years from 08 - 10;
4. we've only been to 13 AFC titles games since the turn of the century. There have been twenty of them. I mean, what were we even doing during the other seven?????; and
5. Our players rarely ever get to go to the pro bowl (though, to be fair, it's usually because their playing in the super bowl).

I hope this helps you in your pitiful never-ending crusade to be a grown man who cannot keep his emotions about the Patriots off the internet.

Or Tom Brady open mouth kissing his 11 yr old son.....

Reaction Score
Or Tom Brady open mouth kissing his 11 yr old son.....

Again, embarrassing for Brady? Yes. Embarrassing for his family? Sure. Embarrassing for anyone else who is not Brady? No. Why? Because they have nothing to do with it. You surely did not need 6 hours to come up with that zinger?

What is it about the Patriots that makes you so angry and need to lash out? Why can't you handle your anger about them like most adults can?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
[Looks at 2018 draft.

Looks at the 32nd pick.]

Dies.

As much as I respect Bill for everything he does, and he is the GOAT coach, his drafts are never a strong point. He’s had a bunch of clunkers.

Reaction Score
As much as I respect Bill for everything he does, and he is the GOAT coach, his drafts are never a strong point. He’s had a bunch of clunkers.
Still can't believe the Patriots didn't draft DK Metcalf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom