CAL's Student Paper Does It Up Big | The Boneyard

CAL's Student Paper Does It Up Big

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Embedded video's on each UConn starter!

No. 1 UConn in town as Cal women’s basketball set for battle of unbeatens

"While an undefeated Goliath is set to make its way into Haas Pavilion on Saturday, Cal is no mere David. The Bears themselves boast a perfect 9-0 record, led by senior superstar Kristine Anigwe, who ranks in the top five in the nation in both points and rebounds. Anigwe has been the definition of consistency, posting a double-double in every game this season.

The Bears also possess a trio of guards who all have the ability to score in bunches and create for others. Graduate transfer Receé Caldwell, senior Asha Thomas and sophomore Kianna Smith have combined for six 15-point games this season and team up to dish out more than two-thirds of Cal’s assists."

Reaction Score
Well, mere David was pretty good with a slingshot. Anigwe might not be that good with a basketball. We'll see.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pretty cool.

The writer also takes a stab at game planning against UConn. Very dedicated.

And just like any final boss in a video game, UConn has its weaknesses that, if attacked correctly, will give Cal a chance at victory.

"On offense, the answer will start with Anigwe. At 6’4”, she has the advantage over both Samuelson and Collier in terms of size and strength, and she will need to lead the scoring charge to keep the game close. In last season’s blowout loss to UConn, Anigwe scored 14 points, but no other Bear had more than 8. This year, Anigwe is averaging 23.6 points per contest, and she will need at least that many for the Bears to have a chance.

The other advantage the Bears own is in quickness, as Cal starts three speedy guards to UConn’s two. In turn, one guard for the Bears will be defended by a six-footer, which creates a possible mismatch on which the Bears must capitalize.

Defensively, the Bears can only pick their poison, but they can play percentages to give themselves the best chance. Collier shoots just 64 percent from the foul line and 18 percent from 3, so baiting her into long distance shots and fouling her close to the basket will limit the damage.

Ultimately, Cal will need to play a near-perfect game to win, and even then, UConn will need to falter. But the opportunity to knock off the No. 1 team in the nation has arrived, and the Bears have the firepower they need to successfully shoot their shot. And with tomorrow being Cal’s first home game against a No. 1 team, why not make it the first win against one, too?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. I thought Mr. Sun's pregame article was excellent and I emailed him and told him so. I get the PAC-12 Network and will be watching UConn @ Cal. Go UT Utes!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. I thought Mr. Sun's pregame article was excellent and I emailed him and told him so. I get the PAC-12 Network and will be watching UConn @ Cal. Go UT Utes!
So do I. It's not high-def but at least it's included in my Xfinity sports package. Don't forget to tune in for the pre-game show which starts at 2:30. :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom