C
A
L
M

D
O
W
N

We’ve had 6 wins, 2 against P5 teams and 2 against strong mid majors who had made the tourney last year. To end December we have a strong chance of finishing 9-3.

On the losing end there’s been 3 of them.The forbidden one... the heartbreaker... the sloppy one. As for the heartbreaker, we did not play the greatest basketball, yet we take a ranked team in Xavier to 2 OT, and then lose by 1. We had 2 opportunities to win the game! Then with Indiana, the sloppiest offensive game this season and we end up losing by 1 possession. Rough. But all in all, 2 Q1 losses, by 1 possession on neutral court.... we’re so close to where we wanna be. How about we relax and let the coach handle everything since we all have trust in him. It just so happens, that last game each and every domino fell the wrong way and its tough but if we win the AAC we’re in! Very good shot at an auto bid with how we’ve competed 10 deep against quality opponents. The win would’ve been a great one but you have these types of games that hurt. All that matters is that this season is not over and there’s still a great shot at a 20+ win season... something we haven’t been able to enjoy in a WHILE! So can we calm down, let the staff do they thing and enjoy winning?

Reaction Score
Even though the Huskies have definitely faced the toughest schedule so far of any AAC team I still think it's not going to be a push over rolling through the conference. With this Vital-Gilbert experience sputtering into the new year I am wondering if they can finish high enough to escape the first round of the AAC tourney. Bouknight will hit the freshman wall(and that may have started in MSG) sooner or later and we'll see how long he struggles through that. Akok is tall and cat like quick but he is so freakin skinny and prone to foul trouble. The rest will have good and bad days. None will be first team all conference except Carlton. Twenty wins isn't out of the question but Vital and Gilbert have to get it together soon for it to be a reality. Maybe the Indiana game was just a fluke that they both sucked on the same night. Can't have too many more of those though.

Reaction Score
A rational measured post less than 24h after a loss? The BY has really gone crazy!

Improvement is not a linear process. A few steps forward, one back on occasion. For the team, individual players, and coaches.

We’re gonna get back to the top of the mountain. Not this season soon, but soon.

Reaction Score
We’ve had 6 wins, 2 against P5 teams and 2 against strong mid majors who had made the tourney last year. To end December we have a strong chance of finishing 9-3.
2018-2019: 7-2 after 9 games with a win over #15 Syracuse and losses to Iowa and Arizona.
2017-2018: 6-3 after 9 games with a win over Oregon and losses to Michigan State, Arkansas and Syracuse (and none of these losses were very close).

I don't have to tell anyone how those 2 seasons went.

So while I'm calm and not panicking I don't understand how your post is supposed to make anyone feel better about being 6-3. We'll see what happens the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
A rational measured post less than 24h after a loss? The BY has really gone crazy!

Improvement is not a linear process. A few steps forward, one back on occasion. For the team, individual players, and coaches.

We’re gonna get back to the top of the mountain. Not this season soon, but soon.
We're losing the same exact way to teams we should be beating. This is how you don't make the tournament for four straight years. I don't see people saying we're a disaster, I see people saying we keep trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I happen to think there is enought to be an NCAA team if coach would tweak some things and hold some players more accountable. One thing I'm pretty confident in is if we just pretend this was a bad perfomance and don't make changes before conference play it's going to be another long season.

Reaction Score
While I generally agree with your thread title- last night was a real kick in the b——- We has msg, big game spotlight and much like many of our national tv Games last few years(besides Xavier and the cuse fluke last year) we looked like crap. I think most people on this board would have been OK with a solid effort in a close loss but our guards played so bad it was actually alarming- I believe that is why everybody is panicking- if Vital didn’t have probably the worst game in his last two years on a national stage(And continue to make the same mistakes over and over like it’s Groundhog Day) and Gilbert being nonexistent again , I think everybody would have toned it down a bit - you have to admit last nights game was very ugly- and the wurst part about it was it was such an easily winnable game!!! We are Not going to have many more of these big stage games the rest of the year -that’s why I believe the reactions have been so strong - it’s completely understandable. As Hurley said , we found about 25 ways to lose this game yesterday - besides akok showing that he’s a game changer and maybe Carlton with his soft ass moves - there was absolutely nothing to write home about. Sorry. And the Worst part now is this loss Is going to stick with us for three weeks till Cincy game.

Reaction Score
C
A
L
M

D
O
W
N

On the losing end there’s been 3 of them.The forbidden one... the heartbreaker... the sloppy one. As for the heartbreaker, we did not play the greatest basketball, yet we take a ranked team in Xavier to 2 OT, and then lose by 1. We had 2 opportunities to win the game! Then with Indiana, the sloppiest offensive game this season and we end up losing by 1 possession. Rough. But all in all, 2 Q1 losses, by 1 possession on neutral court.... we’re so close to where we wanna be. How about we relax and let the coach handle everything since we all have trust in him. It just so happens, that last game each and every domino fell the wrong way and its tough but if we win the AAC we’re in! Very good shot at an auto bid with how we’ve competed 10 deep against quality opponents. The win would’ve been a great one but you have these types of games that hurt. All that matters is that this season is not over and there’s still a great shot at a 20+ win season... something we haven’t been able to enjoy in a WHILE! So can we calm down, let the staff do they thing and enjoy winning?
Generally agree with a lot of your sentiment except for the idea that We have a decent shot at the autobid for the league. We would be huge (maybe not huge but big) underdogs to Memphis at this time. And as has been mentioned on many threads guard play wins in March

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We just watched our senior SG play the worst game by a guard since Terrance Warren played here. Vital was ungodly brutal last night. He's gave away this game.

Fortunately calm is my second-most obvious demeanor.

Reaction Score
Fyi
Everyone sucked in msg last night. Remember that first game??? Tech played just less bad to win. Lville was worse than us.

Reaction Score
We just watched our senior SG play the worst game by a guard since Terrance Warren played here. Vital was ungodly brutal last night. He's gave away this game.

Fortunately calm is my second-most obvious demeanor.

I once played pickup with Terrance Warren on the courts behind the Jungle. I was startled at just how unskilled he was.

Reaction Score
What I’ve said about this team from day 1,still applies I think. Not that talented. Some potential for the future but as of right now we have a shooting guard who should be a sixth man, a point guard who would be a backup at a top program a raw freshman with lots of potential but who isn’t anywhere near ready for prime time. It will require everything to go right to be a bubble team...probably a good deep run in the aac tourney. Could be an NIT team if everything goes well.

Reaction Score
I'm not panicking but for me it's impossible to feel good watching this team right now. Senior leadership was supposed to be key and its been our biggest let down. Al cannot shoot. Christian has shown he has the talent and hustle but in the end cannot play consistently. I've been a huge believer in Al since he's come on board but my god this kid is 24/89 from the field. When he shoots its like a turnover. When he drives, the defenders send his shot into orbit every time without fail. I roll my eyes every time he takes any sort of shot. He's totally lost and I'm sure his confidence is 0 at this point. Making it into the tournament starts and ends with these 2 guys, and I'm sorry but I don't think we are a tournament bound until we have a team full of Hurley players.

Reaction Score
2018-2019: 7-2 after 9 games with a win over #15 Syracuse and losses to Iowa and Arizona.
2017-2018: 6-3 after 9 games with a win over Oregon and losses to Michigan State, Arkansas and Syracuse (and none of these losses were very close).

So while I'm calm and not panicking I don't understand how your post is supposed to make anyone feel better about being 6-3. We'll see what happens the rest of the season.

The 6-3 team in 2017-18 would've lost to Xavier by 30 and Indiana by 15. Comparing this year's 6-3 to that year's 6-3 is apples to oranges. We've shown we can hang with top level teams, and are upset that we haven't beaten them. Compare that to losing to Arkansas by 40 and no showing in big time games. If you can't see the progress that's been made it's because you don't want to. OP is right....we all need to take a step back and calm down.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The 6-3 team in 2017-18 would've lost to Xavier by 30 and Indiana by 15. Comparing this year's 6-3 to that year's 6-3 is apples to oranges. We've shown we can hang with top level teams, and are upset that we haven't beaten them. Compare that to losing to Arkansas by 40 and no showing in big time games. If you can't see the progress that's been made it's because you don't want to. OP is right....we all need to take a step back and calm down.
What we need is to finally cross the threshold and win one of these games. Florida they were able to maintain semi-control I’m not sure they win if it’s back and forth

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Injuries played a huge roll in 17/18, and team is much deeper this year

Injuries played a smaller roll in 18/19, but Gilbert is closer to 100% and 7 rotation players are a year older and the team is much deeper

We better shatter the results of the last two (really three) seasons. I expect nothing less :)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Injuries played a huge roll in 17/18, and team is much deeper this year

Injuries played a smaller roll in 18/19, but Gilbert is closer to 100% and 7 rotation players are a year older and the team is much deeper

We better shatter the results of the last two (really three) seasons. I expect nothing less :)

Injuries were huge even last year. AG for several games. Jalen for several games. Diarra all season. Yawke most of the season. It's a reason why we have to get the freshmen guards ready for league play right now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I once played pickup with Terrance Warren on the courts behind the Jungle. I was startled at just how unskilled he was.
That was when Perno was recruiting the best available Terrance.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We just watched our senior SG play the worst game by a guard since Terrance Warren played here.
He was worse just last month. In fact, he was worse in the last 10 minutes against Iona.

Reaction Score
I forget who the poster was so I apologize, but someone last year made the prediction that this was our timeline.

2018-2019: Team struggles and largely reminds us of where we've been
2019-2020: Team will continue to struggle but show us where they're going
2020-2021: Team is a ready to compete

Making the tournament is certainly doable, but its going to be tough. If we get a bid I think this would have to be considered a very successful season.

Reaction Score

One major difference:

2019-2020: 6-3, Kenpom #52
2018-2019: 7-2, Kenpom #86
2017-2018: 6-3, Kenpom #88

Reaction Score
we played our worst game of the season (Arguable with st joes) and we only lost by 3 with our senior guards having a horrorshow. better days ahead, and you are right, calm down!!!!

Analytics show it was the second best defensive performance by UConn this season (best was v. Maine)
Analytics show it was the second worst offensive performance by UConn this season (worst was v. Maine)

They've only had one great game on offense (Miami)
They've only had one bad game on defense (St. Joe's)

It is a pretty good team with a couple flaws on offense holding it back from being a great team. The biggest weakness, is the team's ability to finish around the rim which they are one of the worst in the country at.

If they were average at finishing at the basket, they would be 9-0 today. Hopefully that improves over the course of the season and into next year going into the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom