Call from Athletic Dept | The Boneyard

Call from Athletic Dept

Reaction Score
Recieved a call from the athletic department as a football season ticket holder asking to renew. I told the nice young man, I'm in and I will always support the program. He asked if there was anything else he could do for me. I said, "yes, get a new basketball coach. KO is killing this program." His response was "yeah, we have been hearing that a lot. Fans are pretty frustrated."

So, I imagine UConn must be getting a lot of pressure from average fans at this point for them to acknowledge that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let me start out by saying that I know you are a supporter of UConn and the football program and I do enjoy your insight.

KO is killing the football program?

The myopic vision that everything bad with the basketball program and the spillover to the other programs solely sits on KO's shoulders is killing me.

It's not like PP and Diaco, the decisions by prior ADs or the fact that UConn isn't in a P5 had anything to do with the football program. Maybe the football program failed the institution by not being P5 attractive at a vital time when such decisions were being made.

As I stated, I know you are a huge fan of UConn as I am but I guess we don't share some visions. I am not crazy to say that KO doesn't share in some of the reasons that the bball program has experienced what we have seen since 2016 but there are a lot of outside issues that have come into play that he simply cannot not jump over them immediately - in fact I doubt 99% of those who could be in his shoes would have not have the same difficulty. If AD David Benedict feels the situation warrants a change I have faith that will happen and I will support the decision. But I can't go around saying KO is killing the program - him and him alone. I'll rely on what I know and sort the cards out as they were and are dealt. It's not a black/white situation nor do I feel it is something that will be remedied over night.

The football team needs to put it's own good product on the field and their success will predicate a consistent attendance and following. Maybe I'm in the minority but I feel RE can do this with a few good, solid RE type recruitment years - I think the incoming class is much more athletic than what we have seen in the past 6 years.

I will again renew my football season tickets (family has had them since 1967) , as well as basketball season tickets and soccer.

I hear your frustration BlueDogs.

Reaction Score
Let me start out by saying that I know you are a supporter of UConn and the football program and I do enjoy your insight.

The myopic vision that everything bad with the basketball program and the spillover to the other programs solely sits on KO's shoulders is killing me.

It's not like PP and Diaco, the decisions by prior ADs or the fact that UConn isn't in a P5 had anything to do with the football program. Maybe the football program failed the institution by not being P5 attractive at a vital time when such decisions were being made.

As I stated, I know you are a huge fan of UConn as I am but I guess we don't share some visions. I am not crazy to say that KO doesn't share in some of the reasons that the bball program has experienced what we have seen since 2016 but there are a lot of outside issues that have come into play that he simply cannot not jump over them immediately - in fact I doubt 99% of those who could be in his shoes would have not have the same difficulty. If AD David Benedict feels the situation warrants a change I have faith that will happen and I will support the decision. But I can't go around saying KO is killing the program - him and him alone. I'll rely on what I know and sort the cards out as they were and are dealt. It's not a black/white situation nor do I feel it is something that will be remedied over night.

The football team needs to put it's own good product on the field and their success will predicate a consistent attendance and following. Maybe I'm in the minority but I feel RE can do this with a few good, solid RE type recruitment years - I think the incoming class is much more athletic than what we have seen in the past 6 years.

I will again renew my football season tickets (family has had them since 1967) , as well as basketball season tickets and soccer.

I think by "this program" he was referring to the basketball program.

Reaction Score
Why did that need to be explained? It was obvious he meant the Bball team

Reaction Score

I was referring to men's basketball as the program. Could have been clearer in relaying what I said...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom