Calipari shares his solution for the future of college basketball... | The Boneyard

Calipari shares his solution for the future of college basketball...

Reaction Score
Calipari shares his solution for the future of college basketball | Kentucky Sports Radio

>>”I’ve got the solution,” Calipari told ESPN on Tuesday. “The NBA, you want these kids in the G League, you want to do all this? Everyone that goes in the G League is guaranteed eight semesters of college education if you don’t make it. You give them a signing bonus, you pay them. And then if they don’t make it after two years, the NBA pays to have them on my campus. They have to sit out their first year, to prove they really want to be in college. So you can come to college, the NBA is gonna pay for it, for eight semesters. You come back, sit out a year to prove you really want to be in college, then you start playing and your clock starts.”

Calipari added that if a player does go to college after fading out of the G League, he must stay at least two years. Along with the required sit-out year, each player would have a minimum of six semesters in college before being able to enter the NBA draft.<<

Reaction Score
I think its a good plan despite two potential holdups. 1- it would require investment by the NBA for higher G-league salaries and college tuition. The FBI investigation might be what finally gets the NBA to budge on this. 2- Accepting former pros who can't make it to the NBA will increase the talent pool and crowd out younger amateurs.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Mlb has a college scholarship plan. A lot of the 25 year old football players end up starting and not even being on scholarship.

They could easily make this work for nba players too. But mlb is pretty strict in how quickly you have to access it. They’d need to be a little looser here so kids could still, say, play in Europe for a while and still have access to it.

Reaction Score
Always been a huge proponent of making University about, you know, academics, but I know it is a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
Always been a huge proponent of making University about, you know, academics, but I know it is a pipe dream.

Maybe the coaches should be volunteers, tickets should be 5 bucks, Cokes for a quarter, and the schools should broadcast the games for free?

Also, no commercials and no advertisements in the stadiums.

Reaction Score
Is following the rules the same as not getting caught?

Reaction Score
That's a crap hairbrain idea with zero real world thought put into it. Exactly who is going to write the contract requiring the G-league 2 years and subsequent guaranteed NBA shot or college education? 28 different NBA teams do that with 100 players per year?! And then you need a separate agreement with 100 different colleges that agree to this new rule of sitting people out for a year, accepting payment from a 3rd party not to mention exactly how do the colleges select and enroll these ex-players in academic programs?! They re-taking the SATs after 2 years of nothing but basketball and fortnite?

It is inherently stupid of me to respond with specifics to this ill-conceived panacea, it does feel like Calimari & Sonny Vaccaro thought this up over $80 Cubans & 40yr old scotch.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of college hockey and NHL model. Players are only eligible to be drafted when they are 18 (there is a certain cutoff date; that's why Eichel played a year of college) and then the team that drafted them has the rights to them when they decide to turn pro. So you can get drafted in the 7th round as a 18-yo then still play four years of college hockey and nhl will literally be waiting for them after. The main reason college hockey players tend to be older is that they play juniors until they're 20 (can't play juniors at age 21 or maybe 21 is the last year i forget) then they go to college afterwards.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of college hockey and NHL model. Players are only eligible to be drafted when they are 18 (there is a certain cutoff date; that's why Eichel played a year of college) and then the team that drafted them has the rights to them when they decide to turn pro. So you can get drafted in the 7th round as a 18-yo then still play four years of college hockey and nhl will literally be waiting for them after. The main reason college hockey players tend to be older is that they play juniors until they're 20 (can't play juniors at age 21 or maybe 21 is the last year i forget) then they go to college afterwards.

What does the salary structure look like for nba players then? I doubt we’d have 7 rounds for the draft. Maybe they’d add one more round.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
MLB you can get drafted out of HS but if you go to college you got to for 3 years. I think this model works for the NBA. You’d need to expand the GLeague as I’m sure a lot of kids would try to jump right from high school but go undrafted. You may even see tiers a la baseball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's a crap hairbrain idea with zero real world thought put into it. Exactly who is going to write the contract requiring the G-league 2 years and subsequent guaranteed NBA shot or college education? 28 different NBA teams do that with 100 players per year?! And then you need a separate agreement with 100 different colleges that agree to this new rule of sitting people out for a year, accepting payment from a 3rd party not to mention exactly how do the colleges select and enroll these ex-players in academic programs?! They re-taking the SATs after 2 years of nothing but basketball and fortnite?

It is inherently stupid of me to respond with specifics to this ill-conceived panacea, it does feel like Calimari & Sonny Vaccaro thought this up over $80 Cubans & 40yr old scotch.

On top of that, it would never survive a court challenge. You can't really tell people they can't earn a living.

College football and basketball are minor league professional sports. That's what they are. They affiliate with universities to help create an artificial fan base that wouldn't otherwise care about them, while providing income and marketing to the colleges.

There are ways to fix things, but none of them would allow the NCAA to maintain the pretense of amateurism.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
What does the salary structure look like for nba players then? I doubt we’d have 7 rounds for the draft. Maybe they’d add one more round.
I have no idea the best way to apply this to the NBA lol I was just giving more insight as to how hockey does it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It makes sense as long as the NBA is paying those players. The second that payments come from the NCAA/colleges is when the cash rich P5 really begins to pull away from the rest of us in basketball too.

Reaction Score
I feel like this has gotten way out of control. In no other profession can you do this, why should basketball players be able to? If I went to college to become a chef and I quit school to pursue becoming a chef and failed, the school wouldnt just enroll me back in classes because I didnt make it. College athletes, coaches, etc. need to realize they already get way more/better perks in college than everyone else and quit being so stuck up.

Reaction Score
I feel like this has gotten way out of control. In no other profession can you do this, why should basketball players be able to? If I went to college to become a chef and I quit school to pursue becoming a chef and failed, the school wouldnt just enroll me back in classes because I didnt make it. College athletes, coaches, etc. need to realize they already get way more/better perks in college than everyone else and quit being so stuck up.

#takequake

Reaction Score
Maybe the coaches should be volunteers, tickets should be 5 bucks, Cokes for a quarter, and the schools should broadcast the games for free?

Also, no commercials and no advertisements in the stadiums.
Come on man, no need to be condescending, you are better than that.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Am I breaking some sort of Boneyard rule by saying, *at first glance*, that kinda makes sense?

I get visibly angry when he speaks. He’s probably my least liked sports figure EVER.

I think a lot of that sounds good, without diving into it too deeply yet.

Now, I will take the sobbing, Ace Ventura shower to scrub myself of that filth I just uttered.

Reaction Score
They re-taking the SATs after 2 years of nothing but basketball and fortnite?
Best line ive read on here in a while. lol! Agree with your greater point that this is just a terrible idea. Lets just keep it simple. Let kids enter the draft straight out of high school and let them declare straight out of college after one season if they choose too. It wont be the end of the world or the college game.

Reaction Score
Come on man, no need to be condescending, you are better than that.

I don’t mean to be belittle, but that type of attitutide allows these schools to make out like bandits; to the detriment of the academic standards that you hold in such high regard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom