Calhoun sees ‘rejuvenation’ as UConn returns to the Big East | The Boneyard

Calhoun sees ‘rejuvenation’ as UConn returns to the Big East

Reaction Score
Nice article with lots of good quotes. I'm always interested in what Calhoun has to say about college basketball. UConn in particular.

“I think the (James) Bouknight kid is going to be important to us, because we need a great player,” Calhoun said. “I mean that. Early in the comeback that Danny Hurley is involved with, you need the team, of course, but you also maybe need a guy that everyone wants to see play.

“I’ve seen the point guard from Howard (transfer R.J. Cole), too, heard some great things, was out to practice six, seven times. He can play. Not a great shooter, but if they can get enough shooting — I can’t talk nationally right now — but they’d be one the of three, four best teams in the Big East. If you’re one of the three, four best teams right now, you’re going to the NCAA Tournament.”

For those without access to Register articles: Calhoun sees ‘rejuvenation’ as UConn returns to the Big East

Reaction Score
Nice article with lots of good quotes. I'm always interested in what Calhoun has to say about college basketball. UConn in particular.

“I think the (James) Bouknight kid is going to be important to us, because we need a great player,” Calhoun said. “I mean that. Early in the comeback that Danny Hurley is involved with, you need the team, of course, but you also maybe need a guy that everyone wants to see play.

“I’ve seen the point guard from Howard (transfer R.J. Cole), too, heard some great things, was out to practice six, seven times. He can play. Not a great shooter, but if they can get enough shooting — I can’t talk nationally right now — but they’d be one the of three, four best teams in the Big East. If you’re one of the three, four best teams right now, you’re going to the NCAA Tournament.”

For those without access to Register articles: Calhoun sees ‘rejuvenation’ as UConn returns to the Big East

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of RJ Cole there by Calhoun.

Calhoun is not a fan of these Jersey guards unless they’re a can’t miss prospect. Neither am I.

Gaffney should be starting PG to begin the year.

Reaction Score
Hopefully his impression of Cole's shooting ability is based on just the small sample size of those 6 practices. He did ok at Howard albeit as a volume scorer against lesser competition. Perimeter shooting is one my biggest concerns for this team. Can't have enough shooting.

Reaction Score
I just love that he still speaks of UConn in the first person plural. It's us and we, not them and they.
Beat me to it. I LOVE this.......

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I feel like this team should be a pretty good shooting team? We’re not going to be Nova in their championship years, but we should be able to hold our own.

-Polley can stroke it as well as anyone
-I’d expect Cole’s efficiency to improve and volume to go down.
-Bouknight is a good shooter and will only be better next season I’d assume
-BAdams and Gaffney are average shooters I’d say, and will only improve

I’m more concerned about replacing Vital’s tenacity in the backcourt, especially if Martin can’t get a waiver. I think our defense in the backcourt is a big question mark. But I trust Hurley+ staff’s development capabilities, especially with the depth and talent on this roster.

Reaction Score
Cole can't shoot?
O.K. let's take that comment literally, since that's the Boneyard way. He said, "Not a great shooter..." So that means he could still be a good shooter, just not a great shooter. Good shooter is good enough if you do other things well too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
O.K. let's take that comment literally, since that's the Boneyard way. He said, "Not a great shooter..." So that means he could still be a good shooter, just not a great shooter. Good shooter is good enough if you do other things well too.
You're not helping

Reaction Score
But I thought Cole was the best player in practice

/s

So does JC, that’s why he’s pushing him. That’s what JC does. Wouldn’t be surprised if he and Hurley talked about it over a BLT at some point. Hurley and JC are two peas, JC is telling Cole to shoot 500+ jumpers per day.

Reaction Score
What about when he said Justin Brown was pushing Emeka for the starting spot?
Calhoun only wanted one person to believe that quote, and that person was Emeka. I am pretty sure even Brown didn't believe him.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Let consider the source is also jim calhoun, you get your compliments when you've earned them

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I thought his comments on reaching out to Patrick Ewen showed the human side of JC, his love for the game and appreciation for a young coach with a lot of trouble on his plate. I think it showed his empathy for someone struggling and how much pressure he must be under and how JC could relate to that and try to give support. Pretty good guy to have in your corner in a spot like that. He can be very motivating!

C

Chief00

What about when he said Justin Brown was pushing Emeka for the starting spot?
I will give you the button pusher thing - he’s a master at that. Away from player motivation, O was thinking of how he could break down teams or games, Blaney and Calhoun can be absolutely brutally honest and genius at breaking it down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom