Calhoun/Krzyzewski thoughts on Triangle | The Boneyard

Calhoun/Krzyzewski thoughts on Triangle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
"Disciples of the triangle offense... would suggest that the Knicks’ current travail has more to do with the gut renovation Jackson is imposing on the team’s talent-barren locker room than with any systemic humbug. To their way of thinking, the Knicks players Jackson inherited are so far from suited to Winter’s concepts of basketball space and time that, strategically speaking, the team is a ship becalmed somewhere off the coast of the Carolinas..."

Reaction Score
Looks like a good article, will bookmark it and read it.

But so much wasted effort and analysis with respect to the Knicks. They made a bunch of terrible decisions, moves & trades essentially throughout Dolan's ownership and don't have enough cap room or draft picks to improve unless over a 3+ year period. The Knicks are akin to a company that has spent nothing on R&D wondering why they can't compete.

Jackson is unfortunately emblematic of their philosophy to overspend on 1 good move to try and make-up for 3 bad ones. Debating the utility of the triangle for the Knicks is like evaluating a fancy sports car via an 8-year old test driving it on the beach. When you combine the overspends with the bad moves you are totally stuck in the mud of mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Don't think the franchise has had an "overspend" since signing Stoudemire five years ago and that was reasonably justifiable. The Bargnani deal was horrendous but that got Grunwald, the GM at the time, fired almost immediately.

Phil has gotten rid of the one-dimensional guys since he arrived (Shumpert, JR, Tim Hardaway Jr, Amare) as well as the knuckleheads. Has drafted more foreign players including a few stashes. The franchise was such a mess that it's going to take years to blow it out and start over, from the on-the-court issues to the off-the-court ones. I wish Melo would waive his NTC so we could accelerate that process a little bit.

Reaction Score
Don't think the franchise has had an "overspend" since signing Stoudemire five years ago and that was reasonably justifiable. The Bargnani deal was horrendous but that got Grunwald, the GM at the time, fired almost immediately.

Phil has gotten rid of the one-dimensional guys since he arrived (Shumpert, JR, Tim Hardaway Jr, Amare) as well as the knuckleheads. Has drafted more foreign players including a few stashes. The franchise was such a mess that it's going to take years to blow it out and start over, from the on-the-court issues to the off-the-court ones. I wish Melo would waive his NTC so we could accelerate that process a little bit.
I agree with you that most of the problems currently and more specifically with Phil Jackson's tenure are a result of past mistakes. Although I'm not certain what they got for JR & Shump?
In term of 'recent' overspends, didn't they renew Carmelo for the max? Yes, he's a max player, but just like shutting him down this year proved, there is no point spending those $ on a 30-year old when you can't surround him with championship level talent until at best when he's 35. That said, overspending on him was eons better than the alternative. So as you imply, if you could get rid of the no-trade then Carmelo & his contract are an asset. With acknowledgement of rebuild with the #4 pick, maybe Carmelo let's himself be shopped & helps the Knicks more than he can by playing for them.

Let's recap the 5 worst overspends (either by trade or signing) in the Dolan era just for fun!
1. Allan Houston - they created a special NBA rule to help void this contract & yet the Knicks didn't use it
2. Stephon Marbury / Isiah Thomas - Arguably should be #1 especially when grouped together and if you add in the sexual discrimination lawsuit. But both were known to be washed-up/useless by the time they got to the Knicks
3. Stoudemire - If the team that made a guy is nervous about his health there might be a reason. Also a combo bad move with D'Antoni burning Am'are's knee cartilage down to the nub by playing him 35+mpg.
4. Eddy Curry
5. Jerome James

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I mean the 2000's were embarrassing but those days (and Zeke) are gone, thankfully.

It would have been nice to get a late 1st in the JR/Shumpert deal, that's really my only gripe about Phil's moves thus far. At the same time, Phil was more concerned with getting rid of JR's contract and attitude than acquiring a pick. He opted out of his contract the other day but I don't think he would have done that if he was still in NY. We'll never know though.

Reaction Score
I really hate to be a pain in the ass; BUT, it is not and never was Krzyzewski. It is K-R-A-P-A-S-C-R-E-W-D-O-O-K-S-K-I!! That is really not too hard to remember is it? :)

C

Chief00

Interestingly, Calhoun talked to the writer in person for 2 hours and only had a few quotes in the article. He basically blew off Tex's book as something he looked at as a young coach and wrote off as too complicated.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Interesting article. Even made me like Kobe a little bit.

So I guess we should expect a Golden State dynasty until the Knicks find the right players to execute Triangle?

Also noted of all the teams Geno has had challenges with over the years, Stanford is very high on that list. And Trish ran Triangle until recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom