Calhoun down to 3!!! | The Boneyard

Calhoun down to 3!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

Reportedly Calhoun has cut her list to UConn, Notre Dame and Duke after eliminating Rutgers and St. John's.

I wonder why orange fans thought she was considering them? Wasn't it reported she was looking at UCONN, ND, Duke and Tennessee?

People seem to be mentioning that she shouldn't choose Duke because they will be loaded at the wing position. Well, UCONN is loaded as well. At 6', KML is a wing as is Morgan (3/4). Breanna can also play the 3 and at 6'+, Ekmark is a 3 who can probably also play the 2.

My point is, if Sierra is looking for a place she can step in and start right away as a freshman, UCONN is NOT for her. If her father thinks that's a reality at UCONN, all you need to know is even as great as Stewie is, she was not a starter for much of last year. Not only did she EARN her starting position, but when she was slumping, she came off the bench. Versatile players are the norm at UCONN. There's room for ALL of them...

I'm hopeful we can land her, but not at the expense of promising starting or minutes like some programs will do...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Reportedly Calhoun has cut her list to UConn, Notre Dame and Duke after eliminating Rutgers and St. John's.

I wonder why orange fans thought she was considering them? Wasn't it reported she was looking at UCONN, ND, Duke and Tennessee?

People seem to be mentioning that she shouldn't choose Duke because they will be loaded at the wing position. Well, UCONN is loaded as well. At 6', KML is a wing as is Morgan (3/4). Breanna can also play the 3 and at 6'+, Ekmark is a 3 who can probably also play the 2.

My point is, if Sierra is looking for a place she can step in and start right away as a freshman, UCONN is NOT for her. If her father thinks that's a reality at UCONN, all you need to know is even as great as Stewie is, she was not a starter for much of last year. Not only did she EARN her starting position, but when she was slumping, she came off the bench.

I'm hopeful we can land her, but not at the expense of promising starting or minutes like some programs will do...
Tennessee has a robust CTK pipeline that includes Chamique Holdsclaw and Chamique Holdsclaw.

As far as what Geno has promised, it's most likely he's promised the same thing he promised Kerry Bascom and Breanna Stewart, namely that they'd have to work harder than they realized they could to earn their playing time.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
It was reported by multiple sources recently that her top 4 was Tenn, Uconn, Duke, and Notre Dame. No mention of Tennessee in this article, either as a finalist or being eliminated.

Reaction Score
> My point is, if Sierra is looking for a place she can step in and start right away as a freshman,

Regardless of position or lineup, if ANY player thinks that then she's probably not right for UConn ... simply because it'd mean she's ignorant of the program. Almost no one starts as a frosh.

I would be very surprised if Calhoun felt that way.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Well crap. I knew CVS had offered her....but I didn't know we were in her top 5.

Good luck to you guys for her. I can say that now since later next year RU will be in the B1G and won't be playing you guys. :p

HGN

Reaction Score

My point is, if Sierra is looking for a place she can step in and start right away as a freshman, UCONN is NOT for her. If her father thinks that's a reality at UCONN, all you need to know is even as great as Stewie is, she was not a starter for much of last year. Not only did she EARN her starting position, but when she was slumping, she came off the bench.

UCONN fan, isn't it possible that Geno wants versatile players that can play many positions because of potential injury ? A valuable player such as Calhoun can play either the 2 or 3 or 4...Value is in the versatility . Coaches recruit multiple players, who can play multiple positions , for just that reason.

U

UCONNfan1

UCONN fan, isn't it possible that Geno wants versatile players that can play many positions because of potential injury ? A valuable player such as Calhoun can play either the 2 or 3 or 4...Value is in the versatility . Coaches recruit multiple players, who can play multiple positions , for just that reason.
Totally agree. Sorry if I was unclear. I was responding to comments I read/heard about UCONN having more or less room at the "position". That should be irrelevant. Just as you pointed out. To add to it, Stewart played some 3,4, and 5 this year. Probably some 1 and 2 as well.

Versatile players are the norm at UCONN. The best players who work the hardest will get the PT. If she relishes that kind of challenge, then UCONN is the best place for her...

Reactions: HGN

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

My point is, if Sierra is looking for a place she can step in and start right away as a freshman, UCONN is NOT for her. If her father thinks that's a reality at UCONN, all you need to know is even as great as Stewie is, she was not a starter for much of last year. Not only did she EARN her starting position, but when she was slumping, she came off the bench. Versatile players are the norm at UCONN. There's room for ALL of them...

Dunno who mentioned that she shouldn't choose Duke because of the wing depth..... obviously they havent looked at the roster. :rolleyes: The only wing players we will have in 2014-15 would be a Senior 2 guard in Johnson, and a probable Redshirt Freshman SG in Greenwell.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Her list seems to change all the time. I wouldn't make much of it.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If Sierra comes to UConn, KML will be a Senior and Sierra would play major minutes and take over the starting 3 the following year. Plus she just might win a National Championship in her Freshmen year which is one of her goals.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tennessee has a robust CTK pipeline that includes Chamique Holdsclaw and Chamique Holdsclaw.

As far as what Geno has promised, it's most likely he's promised the same thing he promised Kerry Bascom and Breanna Stewart, namely that they'd have to work harder than they realized they could to earn their playing time.
I thought they had a 'three meeks' thing going on - didn't you leave out the 3rd one from CTK - Chamique hOldsclaw?
;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have to believe Omar is a big plus for us. Kevin Ollie has gotten a lot of buy in from the men's BB players. Add the tradition, having a shot at playing for the national champion ever year, and the new BB facility and I like our chances.

HGN

Reaction Score
Dunno who mentioned that she shouldn't choose Duke because of the wing depth..... obviously they havent looked at the roster. :rolleyes: The only wing players we will have in 2014-15 would be a Senior 2 guard in Johnson, and a probable Redshirt Freshman SG in Greenwell.
Dukefan , no one actually said she shouldn't choose Duke , and you may be thin at the wing in 2014-15 as you stated...But you are also 'thin' in NC's. What if Sierra wants to win a NC in the next couple of years ? What is a girl to do.

Reaction Score
Sierra has to be considering UConn most definitely for the following reasons : National Championship play, superior basketball coaches, history of great players, brother around to either help or bug her, parents around to encourage her, fantastic exposure on SNY television for friends & family, great team spirit, travel & accommodations first class.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Let's not overdo it? Need I remind re: last season's West Coast return.
Well compared to other schools, heck from what we've heard from some of the former players, compared to the WNBA. UCONN is a nice gig if you can get it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Let's not overdo it? Need I remind re: last season's West Coast return.
You remind me of my wife. She can find the one time something didn't go right and make it seem like that is the norm.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Nice to see everyone on top of their game, morning all.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
When you're running an orchestra, whose business is primarily playing on other folk's money.
Perfection is required, or at least the illusion thereof.
When one is traveling, every last detail must be considered, even the potential for cancellations and delays.
When we arrived at a hotel late, even though we are paying per diem, we put out a spread so folks don'y have to go wandering over a strange town at 10 PM, looking for restaurants.
I grew up thinking that way (or had to learn on the job and quickly).
Sorry to be a nudge on this issue.
I'm sure, in his own way, Geno thinks very much this way as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member