Calhoun Dinner..just wow | The Boneyard

Calhoun Dinner..just wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WOW... I have to be honest.. I knew the players loved the school and respected JC but I honestly didn't realize the depth of their devotion for a guy who it seems to me certainly isn't what you would consider, in today's world.. "a player's coach." Incredibly lucky to have had him at the university...​
Really great to hear... and what a testament​

Reaction Score
They learned discipline and became better men. When they have time to reflect they realize the significance.

WOW... I have to be honest.. I knew the players loved the school and respected JC but I honestly didn't realize the depth of their devotion for a guy who it seems to me certainly isn't what you would consider, in today's world.. "a player's coach." Incredibly lucky to have had him at the university...​
Really great to hear... and what a testament​

Reaction Score
Jimmy was focused on the big picture, both for the program and his players. A very tough guy in the right way. I am disappointed that I did not attend last night's event. It would have been great to witness all the love and respect that JC deservedly received.

Reaction Score
A few players left the podium in tears. KFree & AJ were both very emotional. The pure love of Jim was something to see. An excellent tribute and well deserved!

Reaction Score
Loved the Ben Gordon speech. The best part of it was when Ben stated he knew he was going pro after his junior year and was suffering through a shooting slump during the season. All the mock drafts had him top 10 ect ect.. and JC called him into his office. Calhoun told him he was outside the top 20 and his stock was dropping. Ben laughing then stated he went right to the gym after meeting with Calhoun and took around 2000 jump shots that night.

As it turned out Ben's stock was not dropping and he was still top 10 during the slump.

Jake also with the funny story about how he used a hair dryer to make his hair perfect before every game and then 1 game it was found missing. It turned out Ricky Moore hid it on him. Jake claims he was ready to throw down. LOL

Reaction Score
Loved the Ben Gordon speech. The best part of it was when Ben stated he knew he was going pro after his junior year and was suffering through a shooting slump during the season. All the mock drafts had him top 10 ect ect.. and JC called him into his office. Calhoun told him he was outside the top 20 and his stock was dropping. Ben laughing then stated he went right to the gym after meeting with Calhoun and took around 2000 jump shots that night.

As it turned out Ben's stock was not dropping and he was still top 10 during the slump.

Jake also with the funny story about how he used a hair dryer to make his hair perfect before every game and then 1 game it was found missing. It turned out Ricky Moore hid it on him. Jake claims he was ready to throw down. LOL
Thanks for the stories guys, much appreciated.

Reaction Score
Here's his street: 'Jim Calhoun Way'. So glad I witnessed greatness from beginning to end.

CalhounWay2.jpeg

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
No commitments after this event? Is Twitter dead? Or perhaps our guests just need to get home to tell the 'rents that it will be UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
Bust of Calhoun going into practice facility:

9257555.jpeg

That bust looks more like the guy on the right than it does JC. Are we sure he didn't get a bust of himself made by subterfuge?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
That bust looks more like the guy on the right than it does JC. Are we sure he didn't get a bust of himself made by subterfuge?
That's shenkman

Reaction Score
A few players left the podium in tears. KFree & AJ were both very emotional. The pure love of Jim was something to see. An excellent tribute and well deserved!

A wonderful night - the overall theme from the players was "you were the biggest pr!ck I've known, but now know I succeeded on and off the court because of you and I love you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom