Calhoun and Pastner | The Boneyard

Calhoun and Pastner

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Pastner well remembers his chats with Calhoun.

"Loved him," Pastner said. "He was always good to me, and he didn't have to be good to me. He had no reason to be good to me. But he would always give me the time of day, gave me great advice and as a younger guy, a younger coach, I looked up to him.

"I remember he would talk about working hard and be a sponge. He loved Lute Olson, too, and he would tell me, 'Be a sponge, be a sponge, be a sponge.' So I always took that, that's why I tried to go to clinics and take notes and watch tapes and things like that, things he told me I should do."
Dom Amore article

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
New respect for Pastner, didn't realize he had that much respect for Calhoun. Plus Calhoun must see something in him to give him advice.

Reaction Score
The unfortunate thing for Pastner is that he's all but guaranteed to be replaced by Stoudemire next year.

I could see him going to a mid major and finding success because he can recruit, but is a work in progress as a coach. Still obviously young and his book is far from closed.

Reaction Score
Gives one more appreciation of the benefits afforded to Coach Ollie. He had 'HOF' Calhoun's undivided attention and one on one mentorship.

Combine that with his extensive tutelage from good and great NBA teachers/coaches along with player experience, how can he fail?

Its Ollie book to write, he has the coaching education, resources and tools. And lately has added the players. I think in a couple of years, we can and should expect big things from Coach Ollie.

I believe the early NC at least took the pressure off of him and soon he will become what we all expected him to be and what JC saw in him. The 'growing pains' are the part we have to live with.

Personally I think he could upgrade his staff but he and they appear too loyal to each other, and the school to make changes, unless someone gets promoted and leaves. Nonetheless our future is bright and our reemergence with domination is forthcoming.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to read what was in that article about Pastner and Calhoun. I just wouldnt think they had any connection considering we never played Memphis on a regular basis until the AAC.

As far as Ollie goes, I think the assistants have taken more heat on here over the last few years more than he has. The main reasons seem to be that people want a "big man" coach, and a coach who can clean up on the recruiting trail. I believe KO is very comfortable with his current staff and the only way there are changes is one of the current guys like Hobbs or Moore get a head coaching job somewhere.

Reaction Score
So I think the staff's recruiting issue needs to be put bed. There never was an issue.

As far as a big man coach...I think we do need one. Granted I love the aspect of keeping it all in house, and commits and recruits have commented on this fact. However, getting another former big man...**wish/thought**could we get Emeka!?** I think that could seriously put us over the edge.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I was surprised to read what was in that article about Pastner and Calhoun. I just wouldnt think they had any connection considering we never played Memphis on a regular basis until the AAC.

Coaches interact more on the recruiting trail than when playing each other.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I like Pastner, but he looks like he should be sitting on his grandma's lap. Maybe if he grew a beard (assuming he has one) it would help. Then again, maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom