Cal Bears Mi'Cole Cayton Out For Year | The Boneyard

Cal Bears Mi'Cole Cayton Out For Year

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is a big blow to Cal. They don't exactly have a lot of depth.

The one silver lining for Cayton, I suppose, is that she will have almost a full year for rehab before next season, and she has the option of redshirting this year.

Reaction Score
Mi'Cole Cayton, starting guard for Cal, tore her right ACL in Cal's victory over St. Mary's and will be out for the season. I was at the game and there were only about two minutes left when she was injured. She had played well and had scored 13 points before the injury.

Reaction Score
Just thinking of the previous post about the likelihood of arthritis in that knee a few years from now. Really feel for these kids.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Hate when any kid is injured. Cal on the other hand is already short in the backcourt. They have some guard/forward hybrids but not a lot of depth at the guard spot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mi'Cole Cayton, starting guard for Cal, tore her right ACL in Cal's victory over St. Mary's and will be out for the season. I was at the game and there were only about two minutes left when she was injured. She had played well and had scored 13 points before the injury.

Hey, I thought I said that! :confused::) Nice avatar btw.

Reaction Score
What they will really miss from the loss of Cayton is her defense. and intensity. She was their best on ball defender and their best threat attacking the hoop off the dribble.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ACL Tear. The 5'9" guard scored 13 in Cal's 87-80 win over St. Mary's. A significant loss for them.

Game report: Well-Balanced Bears Win Season Opener

Injury report. Cayton To Miss Remainder Of Season

I think CharlieBBall also noted this in the Non UConn Injury Report. In the last few entries, Charlie, Plebe and I noted that Mi'Cole Cayton and Kathleen Doyle, a sophomore guard at Iowa, both went down with injuries this weekend. Ms. Doyle has a high ankle sprain. The connection: both had been the prize recruits of Connie Yori when Ms. Yori (forcibly) resigned. Both reopened up their college searches and ended up by the Bay and Iowa City, respectively. Now both are injured the same weekend.

Making it a bit stranger...Natalie Romeo, a guard on Yori's last Nebraska team, had transferred to Washington and played next to Kelsey Plum all year. She was being counted on to step up her scoring this year until she, too, went down with a knee injury and was lost for the year.

Strange coincidences that will hopefully at three. Best to all of them on a healthy, successful recovery.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think CharlieBBall also noted this in the Non UConn Injury Report. In the last few entries, Charlie, Plebe and I noted that Mi'Cole Cayton and Kathleen Doyle, a sophomore guard at Iowa, both went down with injuries this weekend. Ms. Doyle has a high ankle sprain. The connection: both had been the prize recruits of Connie Yori when Ms. Yori (forcibly) resigned. Both reopened up their college searches and ended up by the Bay and Iowa City, respectively. Now both are injured the same weekend.

Making it a bit stranger...Natalie Romeo, a guard on Yori's last Nebraska team, had transferred to Washington and played next to Kelsey Plum all year. She was being counted on to step up her scoring this year until she, too, went down with a knee injury and was lost for the year.

Strange coincidences that will hopefully at three. Best to all of them on a healthy, successful recovery.
Just a minor correction, unless you've heard something I haven't: I don't think Romeo's condition has been disclosed, other than to call it medical.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Just a minor correction, unless you've heard something I haven't: I don't think Romeo's condition has been disclosed, other than to call it medical.

Thx. You're right about the lack of specificity on Romeo's injury: It's redshirt freshman forward GiGi Garcia who will miss a second straight season due to an anterior cruciate ligament injury, coach Jody Wynn told the press. Romeo is out with the "medical" tag thrown on, which I think Taylor Scaife also had at Rutgers last year. (Luckily, she's back on the floor this year.)

My main "whew" on this is to show how three guards once connected by Nebraska are now not doing so well...medically.

As for that term, don't get me going on how universities...even teams within universities...will vary on what they'll say/won't say about injuries.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thx. You're right about the lack of specificity on Romeo's injury: It's redshirt freshman forward GiGi Garcia who will miss a second straight season due to an anterior cruciate ligament injury, coach Jody Wynn told the press. Romeo is out with the "medical" tag thrown on, which I think Taylor Scaife also had at Rutgers last year. (Luckily, she's back on the floor this year.)

My main "whew" on this is to show how three guards once connected by Nebraska are now not doing so well...medically.

As for that term, don't get me going on how universities...even teams within universities...will vary on what they'll say/won't say about injuries.
I'm not an expert on the topic, but I think the player has the right to ask that her condition not be disclosed.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on the topic, but I think the player has the right to ask that her condition not be disclosed.

OK, some research before a conference call. The lack of consistency that I brought up seems to eminate from the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (or HIPAA regulations), which also tie into your point. This article from 2014 addresses various issues from numerous perspectives, including that of the athlete: Coaches, schools unsure about HIPAA rules when athletes are injured

This article interviews a trainer who has worked at both the high school and collegiate level and quotes him as such:
"It depends on how the athlete goes about telling the coach," Warren said. "If an athlete talks to the coach and tells them what's going on, but doesn't say not to tell anyone, then a coach can talk to whoever they want — the parents, the players, the media. If the athlete expresses that they don't want someone else to know, they're absolutely not allowed to tell anyone.

"It's a very slippery slope. That's why you'll see different contracts when athletes come in for a physical."

And why we hear different things from different coaches, even within the same institution.

Plebe...thanks for the give and take: forced me to look more into an issue that has gotten underneath my skin from time to time.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom