Caitlin Clark injured last night | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark injured last night

Reaction Score
Depends. If it is the dreaded "high ankle" sprain she could be out for a while. I certainly hope it isn't serious.

sun

Reaction Score
Iowa should have been able to get a shot off with 3.8 seconds left on the clock.
I don't see why the inbounder didn't fake the pass to Clark and then pass it to Czinano or someone else.
It shows how important inbounding is and should not to be taken for granted.
Teams should practice inbounding for last second plays just like football teams practice Hail Mary pass plays.

Last edited:

Jim

Reaction Score
Iowa should have been able to get a shot off with 3.8 seconds left on the clock.
I don't see why the inbounder didn't fake the pass to Clark and then pass it to Czinano or someone else.
It shows how important inbounding is and should not to be taken for granted.
Teams should practice inbounding for last second plays just like football teams practice Hail Mary pass plays.
I don't think that is an accurate assessment of what happened. If you watch the video closely, you can see that Iowa ran a double screen for Clark, but neither of the screens was particularly good (or Clark did not go close enough to the screeners.) As a result, the defender arrived only shortly after the inbound pass. Now if Clark did not suffer the injury, she would have been able to take a dribble or two closer to the top of the key (away from the defender) and then get off a 3-pt shot (well within her range.) So if the injury had not occurred the game outcome could very well have been different. Iowa obviously didn't practice Clark getting injured on the inbound play, but to say that they don't practice inbounding plays is misguided.

sun

Reaction Score
I don't think that is an accurate assessment of what happened. If you watch the video closely, you can see that Iowa ran a double screen for Clark, but neither of the screens was particularly good (or Clark did not go close enough to the screeners.) As a result, the defender arrived only shortly after the inbound pass. Now if Clark did not suffer the injury, she would have been able to take a dribble or two closer to the top of the key (away from the defender) and then get off a 3-pt shot (well within her range.) So if the injury had not occurred the game outcome could very well have been different. Iowa obviously didn't practice Clark getting injured on the inbound play, but to say that they don't practice inbounding plays is misguided.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it looks like a bad inbound play targeting Clark with a pass that was tipped.
They could have used a bloop pass to an open part of the floor.
If there were a plan, the pass could be made before the player even gets to the open part of the floor..
Just lead the player by a few feet.
The players are protected from fouls during the inbound, it's only a matter of creatively getting the ball to where a player can receive a pass to make a shot.
Iowa didn't even get off a shot before the buzzer.
Iowa is too reliant on Clark to make every play, that's about the size of it.
The inbounder has options, there should be a plan A, B & C.
There's direct pass, bounce pass, bloop pass.
It didn't seem like the inbounder had an alternate plan other than to pass it to Clark who was in a weak court position.
Czinano seemed to be a better & closer position to the basket, or the 2nd Iowa player who touched the ball should have shot it.
Instead she bounced it and passed it as time ran out.

Imagine Geno's reaction if that were UConn, he'd pull his hair out and shout, "Why didn't you shoot it?"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that's right. She was actually putting partial pressure on it as she walked. She is one of the greatest talents in recent years and a likely fixture on the national team for more than a decade. She will only get better as she gets stronger. I also would be surprised if her ankles were not somehow supported so that may have lessened the injury.

sun

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
From Iowa's perspective, that play all turned when Cailtin twisted her ankle. That they got a shot off (and drew a foul) within four seconds was to their credit... it was just a split second late.

From K State's perspective, it was a great job by its defense. When Warnock received the ball she quickly was covered by a defender, basically precluding any reasonable shot attempt. MaKenna actually did a good job getting the ball to Czinano.

As for a pass to Gabby Marshall in the far corner, it was very likely such a pass would have been picked off by K State's Gabby Gregory, the team's best player, who was playing free safety.

For Iowa to go with a pass to anyone else than Clark would defy logic. Other than perhaps Paige, there's no one in the country better equipped to get a good shot given the ball with 3.8 on the clock than her. She happened to twist her ankle at the wrong time (not that there's ever a good time).

It was a great game that unfortunately for the Hawkeyes was decided by an injury. I join all of you in hoping Caitlin's back soon. Again, like Paige, she is a treasure for WCBB. Odds are, even if she'd be back for the Knight tournament, she wouldn't be at full strength. How ironic would that be since Caitlin just signed with Nike.

Thanks, Sun, for providing the videos.

Reaction Score
After reading about her walking to the bus after the game this is the BS headline on ESPN.com:

When a team loses a player that player is out for a long time. The headline teases that the loss was due to her being out injured, perhaps for the entire season. This is just further evidence of how Disney is turning sports into a carnival act, with their pitchman ESPN in a straw hat.

Reaction Score
After reading about her walking to the bus after the game this is the BS headline on ESPN.com:

When a team loses a player that player is out for a long time. The headline teases that the loss was due to her being out injured, perhaps for the entire season. This is just further evidence of how Disney is turning sports into a carnival act, with their pitchman ESPN in a straw hat.
This isn't a Disney problem. Most sports media are guilty of this type of hyperbole and this is well before Disney acquired ABC and ESPN. Our Canadian outlets are just as bad. It's been decades in the making unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I hope she is okay and not playing through it. Could make things worse for her.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This isn't a Disney problem. Most sports media are guilty of this type of hyperbole and this is well before Disney acquired ABC and ESPN. Our Canadian outlets are just as bad. It's been decades in the making unfortunately.
This is actually pretty pervasive in general. I get it when it is purely "click bait" for ad revenue on social media, but I find the fantastical headlines that do not accurately convey the meaning of the article repulsive - in sports, in politics, in entertainment news and just about anything else you can think of.

Reaction Score
From Iowa's perspective, that play all turned when Cailtin twisted her ankle. That they got a shot off (and drew a foul) within four seconds was to their credit... it was just a split second late.

From K State's perspective, it was a great job by its defense. When Warnock received the ball she quickly was covered by a defender, basically precluding any reasonable shot attempt. MaKenna actually did a good job getting the ball to Czinano.

As for a pass to Gabby Marshall in the far corner, it was very likely such a pass would have been picked off by K State's Gabby Gregory, the team's best player, who was playing free safety.

For Iowa to go with a pass to anyone else than Clark would defy logic. Other than perhaps Paige, there's no one in the country better equipped to get a good shot given the ball with 3.8 on the clock than her. She happened to twist her ankle at the wrong time (not that there's ever a good time).

It was a great game that unfortunately for the Hawkeyes was decided by an injury. I join all of you in hoping Caitlin's back soon. Again, like Paige, she is a treasure for WCBB. Odds are, even if she'd be back for the Knight tournament, she wouldn't be at full strength. How ironic would that be since Caitlin just signed with Nike.

Thanks, Sun, for providing the videos.
From a ranking perspective, “#4” should never have been in that position against an unranked team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom