C-Will Story | The Boneyard

C-Will Story

Reaction Score
I don't know any thing about CW but have a good feeling about her. Hope I am right and she is just what the team needs next year. We had it all with the big 3 and they knew that they were the best, hoping Williams has that confidence right from the start and isn't afraid to show it off.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

While I'm extremely happy that Christyn (and ONO) is now a Husky, I must admit that my expectations for her this coming season are some what tempered, given Geno's track record of not playing or utilizing freshmen. Given her recent accomplishments and accolades during her senior year in high school, it would be very easy to hope and expect her to replicate the success she enjoyed in high school, and pick up where she left off come November.

There's also this: “How many kids came off Notre Dame's bench as a freshman?” Auriemma said. “They have a couple All-Americans. None. How many kids played for Louisville? None. So this idea that every freshman should be able to impact every team, every year, it's ludicrous." This was a really challenging year for most freshmen in this country.

This is an opportunity and challenge for the sophomores to say, ‘All right, here's my opportunity.’ The common thought is that after freshman year, you know what it is you have to do to be successful. Because coming in, you have no idea. All you have is a reputation, but you don't have anything substantive to show for it.”

UConn’s non-conference schedule will even more difficult than it was last season, with road games at Notre Dame, Louisville and Baylor. “If a men's team did that, they would go.......... what?!? Are they committing suicide?" Auriemma said. "We don't mind playing anybody, anywhere, any time. We're at the point now where we don't care what our record is in the regular season. All we care about is, we're going to try to win every game, and then it's a six-game season at the end. That's it.

We all understand that Williams and ONO come to Storrs with a clean slate. They dominated younger and lesser skilled opponents in high school. They will now be playing against players that are up to 3 years older, and more mature, experienced and skilled than they are, and all this at a faster pace.

I put ONO in the same boat with Williams. I took the same position with Walker and her classmates this past year. Could the team use them this year to be major/meaningful contributors?, absolutely.

Since that has not been Geno's forte, I don't expect a change in direction or philosophy now. The 3 freshmen last season were for the most part invisible. They (as a group) did not make a contribution to a single win last year. I recognize and note the two games in which Walker made a major contribution.

That dynamic cannot roll over into the coming season. The loss of two starters and the sixth man demand that last year's reserves step up this year and be ready to play and compete at a high level from day one and throughout the season against all comers. The 3 returning starters cannot carry the team by themselves all year. They're going to need help.

Personally I would love to see ONO and Williams become exceptions to the norm, and have an unheralded breakout freshman year and make the national all freshman team, but I'm not expecting them to. If ever there was a year that Geno needed his freshmen (and reserves) to step up and contribute major meaningful minutes and "get it", it's this coming season.

It was thought by many that Geno did one of his finest coaching jobs two years ago after the departure of the BIG 3. He may very well have to go a step further, and dig down to the bottom of his gym bag to pull out something that makes this year's team special, because aside from his returning starters, there is very little experience or depth he can count on.

The first item on his "to do" list is to find replacements for Gabby and Kia in the starting lineup, and a 6th man. We'll likely spend a good amount of time this summer debating and stumping for (giving chapter and verse of course) who we think the 2 new starters should be. Of all of the non-starters returning (including the freshmen), I can think of 5 players right now that will get most of the BY'ers votes.

IMO, Megan Walker should be promoted to a starter. What other UConn reserve player had more time on the floor, or more success over the course of the season than she did? Who the other starter should be is up for debate. If Geno likes challenges, he's sure to enjoy this coming year. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I understand Geno’s views on freshmen, but we need to remember to consider things in context. Megan was the uber-talented but inconsistent freshman. Part of her limited success was due to the physical and mental demands of UConn WBB. But a key point is that she played behind six top-10 draft choices. Half of them are gone. The line-up now consists of the three remaining stars and a bunch of unproven players. The question is how the remaining roster stacks up.

I was in the minority last year, predicting that Crystal would start over Azura, partly based on her in-game experience at UConn. Combining talent and experience, Megan seems like the mostly likely 4th starter. Though she had ups and downs, she had the 4th most minutes of the returning players.

I think the freshmen are our #5 and #6 players unless someone (Batouly or Mikayla) makes a huge leap. Olivia and Christyn are both smart, talented, and hard-working. Christyn, in particular, has “IT.” She could be the best freshman since EDD.

Looking at our history, we see that Geno has played—and even started—freshmen. He did that when they were the best options, sometimes after injuries to others. Diana, Ann, Nicole, Renee, Tina, Maya, Bria, Stef, Kia, and Lou all started much or all of their freshman seasons. That’s 10 players.

I expect the freshmen to make freshman mistakes, but I expect them to be real contributors.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I understand Geno’s views on freshmen, but we need to remember to consider things in context. Megan was the uber-talented but inconsistent freshman. Part of her limited success was due to the physical and mental demands of UConn WBB. But a key point is that she played behind six top-10 draft choices. Half of them are gone. The line-up now consists of the three remaining stars and a bunch of unproven players. The question is how the remaining roster stacks up.

I was in the minority last year, predicting that Crystal would start over Azura, partly based on her in-game experience at UConn. Combining talent and experience, Megan seems like the mostly likely 4th starter. Though she had ups and downs, she had the 4th most minutes of the returning players.

I think the freshmen are our #5 and #6 players unless someone (Batouly or Mikayla) makes a huge leap. Olivia and Christyn are both smart, talented, and hard-working. Christyn, in particular, has “IT.” She could be the best freshman since EDD.

Looking at our history, we see that Geno has played—and even started—freshmen. He did that when they were the best options, sometimes after injuries to others. Diana, Ann, Nicole, Renee, Tina, Maya, Bria, Stef, Kia, and Lou all started much or all of their freshman seasons. That’s 10 players.

I expect the freshmen to make freshman mistakes, but I expect them to be real contributors.

You said: "I was in the minority last year, predicting that Crystal would start over Azura, partly based on her in-game experience at UConn." I congratulate you on having the "foresight" that some of us did not. I was one of those that did not.
I thought there was no way Crystal would start over Stevens. :confused:

I agree with your take. Looking at the totality of the roster (and the inexperience) this year, I can see one of the freshmen starting, and the other possibly being 6th man. A lot will happen between the time ONO and Williams arrive on campus, and the early part of November when UConn takes the floor for their first exhibition game. All of the speculation, predictions and forecasts that will be debated here over the summer will be answered that night.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You said: "I was in the minority last year, predicting that Crystal would start over Azura, partly based on her in-game experience at UConn." I congratulate you on having the "foresight" that some of us did not. I was one of those that did not.
I thought there was no way Crystal would start over Stevens. :confused:

I agree with your take. Looking at the totality of the roster (and the inexperience) this year, I can see one of the freshmen starting, and the other possibly being 6th man. A lot will happen between now and the early part of November, when UConn takes the floor for their first exhibition game. All of the speculation and predictions that will be debated here over the summer will be answered that night.
I thought Crystal would start, but for multiple reasons. Frankly, like most of us, I was surprised at how little Azurá got out of practice during her off-year.

I’m looking for any scraps of info on the team: Lou is healing well, Crystal is back to 100%, Pheesa is draining threes, Meg looks like an upperclassman, Batouly is impressing, Kyla and Molly are playing with confidence, Mikayla is healthy and looking good, Olivia reminds people of Tina or Stewie, and Christyn is okey-dokey. Or some of that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom