C. Viv - Who Knew? | The Boneyard

C. Viv - Who Knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Holy smoley --had I known C Vivian Stringer had done all this --I would have given her more respect.
Who would have thunk Geno was a ==Luigi come lately???

The truth is--I give Ms Stringer ooodles of respect--she has earned it in so many ways. You may not like the tough competitor --but you must respect it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Actually, Rutgers fans dream of one. Only one. Any sport.

The year we arrived in Arizona (in February) - in June the Baseball team won a Natty. Maybe I should move back to NJ (not happening).

Reaction Score
And that is not Exit 9 on the NJ turnpike. I have driven past that exit a million times.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Actually, Rutgers fans dream of one. Only one. Any sport.

The year we arrived in Arizona (in February) - in June the Baseball team won a Natty. Maybe I should move back to NJ (not happening).

Are you saying that Rutgers hasnt won a title in ANY sport in its history? I have only been around since 1972.....and I dont remember them being any good at anything besides women's basketball.. but surely they have won something. On a related note...I wonder how many flagship state universities havent won even a single national title in anything? U of Hawaii ? Alaska ?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Are you saying that Rutgers hasnt won a title in ANY sport in its history? I have only been around since 1972.....and I dont remember them being any good at anything besides women's basketball.. but surely they have won something. On a related note...I wonder how many flagship state universities havent won even a single national title in anything? U of Hawaii ? Alaska ?
Actually, in the 1940's - possibly the war years - they won a national championship in fencing.

Also, just a slight correction - back in the early days of title 9, softball was (apparently) decent, and maybe field hockey. They haven't been in some years, although in the last 10+ years RU has tried (with mixed success) to upgrade them. Women's soccer has been good for a number of years, beginning under Glenn Crooks who retired before last season, and I think they are in the top 10 right now, after making the final 4 last season. After many years as a 2nd tier sport, wrestling has had a resurgence and had 10 wrestlers in the NCAA's, with 2 becoming "all-Americans" whatever that specifically means in wrestling. And some other good seasons in a variety of sports - men's basketball actually made the final 4 in the '70s. However, in general MBB has been dreadful and until a little over a decade ago football was as much the butt of national jokes as Duke was. They are better.

Not to make excuses, really, but Rutgers was in the A10 until CViv's first year. This probably hampered some sports. And the Big East - as strong as it was in basketball - really wasn't a powerhouse in any other sports. Yes, they had some Nattys, but not with the consistency of other conferences in anything other than BB.

Oh, and the 1982 AIAW WBB National Championship. Yes, there were 2 National Champions (Rutgers for the AIAW and La Tech for the NCAA), but both are "officially" recognized. It was a transition season.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Hey @KnightBridgeAZ , maybe you can tell us what Rutgers was thinking with that tweet?
Rutgers didn't tweet the picture, as I understand it. Just some nonsense taking credit for some UConn MBB players being coached by someone who is now on the RU coaching staff. Someone from the BY (men's side) did the picture.

As to Rutgers trying to claim credit for the success of UConn men's BB players - don't ask me to explain it.

Reaction Score
In the movie Being John Malkovich, the characters got dumped out of a portal at Exit 15x on the Jersey Tpke...anywhere near East Rutherford?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
In the movie Being John Malkovich, the characters got dumped out of a portal at Exit 15x on the Jersey Tpke...anywhere near East Rutherford?

Not far from the Meadowlands, which is the next exit heading north, if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction Score
And that is not Exit 9 on the NJ turnpike. I have driven past that exit a million times.

It's a much NJ Tyler Phommachanh exit 9 ---as it is a RUTGERS sign!!

Reaction Score
RUTGERS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member