C. Viv To Get 4 Year Extension? | The Boneyard

C. Viv To Get 4 Year Extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rutgers working on new 4-year contract with coach C. Vivian Stringer, says AD Pat Hobbs

By Keith Sargeant | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

In the six months he has presided over the Rutgers athletics department, Pat Hobbs has made countless changes that he believes will result in future successes.

But the Rutgers Athletics Director won't be making drastic changes in the perennially successful women's basketball program any time soon.

Hobbs told NJ Advance Media Thursday that he is working towards giving coach C. Vivian Stringer a new four-year contract.

Should Rutgers have fired C. Vivian Stringer? Rutgers athletic director Patrick Hobbs wants C. Vivian Stringer to return next season as head coach. As the athletic department undergoes extensive change, columnist Steve Politi breaks down the decision to stand pat with the longtime women's bas...

Even though Stringer has two years remaining on a four-year contract signed following the 2013-14 campaign, there's a clause that could see Rutgers escape a percentage of the $1.4 million she's owed if she was dismissed. Essentially, the contract is viewed as a series of 1-year rollovers.

Hobbs said he wants to get rid of any of the ambiguity that Rutgers isn't committed to Stringer for the long-term while making it clear to prospective recruits that the Hall of Fame mentor will be their coach.

"Certainly anyone looking at this from the outside should view this as a commitment to Coach,'' Hobbs said. "We want to provide her the resources she needs not just contractually but resources like facilities for the program, and we're well on our way to accomplishing that.''

MORE...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was going to reply with some snark..... but then I remembered who is presently coaching the Duke team, so I'll just refrain :oops:

How old is Stringer ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She is 68 and has two years remaining so a four year extension would take her to 74.

Reaction Score
sounds like a foolish recruiting ploy - lets pretend CViv will be here for 4 more years so that recruits commit. Then if things do not improve quickly, she is gone.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
sounds like a foolish recruiting ploy - lets pretend CViv will be here for 4 more years so that recruits commit. Then if things do not improve quickly, she is gone.
It is an issue with coaches and colleges on the women's side - men aren't really effected since most top recruits are only looking at a few years at most. Unless there is a clear transition in place, which doesn't exist with coaches who may not have their contracts renewed, what do you say when the recruit says 'you are asking me to commit to the college for 4 years but your contract is up after next year - if they aren't committed to you why should I be?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought that Rutgers would can CViv when they went to the Big10, and start fresh.
CViv is probably their most successful coach overall. It wouldn't make sense to fire her with all the other fires that they've needed to put out.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I would think that they will expect improvement not (so much) this coming season but the following one. And at that point, she may retire regardless.

While fans were very unforgiving this past season, the truth was that there were 3 new Assistant Coaches, she was absent much of the season dealing with her dying mother, and there were clear chemistry issues that may have festered in her absence. The first season in the B1G wasn't bad, after all we were not going to beat you in the round of 32. Last year was just bad. Next year, there is (or appears to be) less talent than you need to compete.

So yes, the mandate is probably succeed or go.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
CViv is probably there most successful coach overall. It wouldn't make sense to fire her with all the other fires that they've need to put out.
Very true. And scandal free. And not only a Hall of Famer but generally respected by her peers. As a WBB insider pointed out, firing C Viv would make it very difficult to hire someone to replace her. With her that close to 1000 wins, it would just be very difficult to justify.

Reaction Score
It is an issue with coaches and colleges on the women's side - men aren't really effected since most top recruits are only looking at a few years at most. Unless there is a clear transition in place, which doesn't exist with coaches who may not have their contracts renewed, what do you say when the recruit says 'you are asking me to commit to the college for 4 years but your contract is up after next year - if they aren't committed to you why should I be?
Unless she has some known physical or mental ills there is no reason to expect she will not be coaching until or beyond age 74. I wasn't a fan of C Vivian, because her team was aggressive and successful. In the Brown facility they gave Uconn all they could handle and more. One, especially, when Prince pulled Maya to the floor--but C.Vivian is a good coach, recruits well, and makes the most of the talent she gets.
Why not offer her an extension??
I would hope Geno when he gets ready to retire--does not announce it until his replacement has enough top recruits to continue what Geno has started.. Like Jim did, in Sept of the year.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
CViv is probably their most successful coach overall. It wouldn't make sense to fire her with all the other fires that they've needed to put out.

Stringer has not been to the NCAA tournament since 2012. That year Rutgers was eliminated in the 1st round.

IMO Stringer is a prime example of a female coach that has been around too long and is feeding off her earlier career successes. She hasn't fielded a competitive team in years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Stringer has not been to the NCAA tournament since 2012. That year Rutgers was eliminated in the 1st round.

IMO Stringer is a prime example of a female coach that has been around too long and is feeding off her earlier career successes. She hasn't fielded a competitive team in years.
True but in 2013-2014 Rutgers went 29-9 and won the WNIT. Not the NCAAs but not too shabby either. She is third winningest coach in college basketball. It is understandable why Rutgers would be reluctant to show her the door. My guess is she hangs around 2 more seasons which will let her get to 1000 wins and then she'll retire.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

They just played UConn year before last in the second round. It was the game Stewie got hurt in early on. In the post-game presser CViv was very complimentary of UConn's team. See The Geno Auriemma Project for his thoughts after that game.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
They just played UConn year before last in the second round. It was the game Stewie got hurt in early on. In the post-game presser CViv was very complimentary of UConn's team. See The Geno Auriemma Project for his thoughts after that game.

I think she's avery good coach. A lot of the downturn in the program is that it is really hard to bring in top recruits when your facilities are so antiquated. It does't matter how good she is if the school won't invest in the program at the same level as competing schools do. Rutgers' facilities are simply *ty.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Rutgers is beginning to lose the recruiting battles in NJ and its time for Vivian to be retired or given another position in the Athletic Department. IMHO the days of Rutgers winning some recruiting battles because she's a strong black woman and mom's of single parent households want their daughter playing for her are gone. Its time to move on and find a younger dynamic coach that has contacts in the New Jersey/New York AAU circles and start to win the recruiting battles. If not, Rutgers will not compete for a B10 Title, never mind the National Championship.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is beginning to lose the recruiting battles in NJ and its time for Vivian to be retired or given another position in the Athletic Department. IMHO the days of Rutgers winning some recruiting battles because she's a strong black woman and mom's of single parent households want their daughter playing for her are gone. Its time to move on and find a younger dynamic coach that has contacts in the New Jersey/New York AAU circles and start to win the recruiting battles. If not, Rutgers will not compete for a B10 Title, never mind the National Championship.

You might be right, it is just that I have no idea how many Rutgers players past and present grew up in single parent households; Or of any other program's players.

As always, my hope is for the continued success of Coach Stringer and of her program. She has more than earned the right to retire on her own terms, the best of terms being in the middle of a lucrative contract or pre announced a season prior to the end of a current one.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

you use the phrase "female coach". Would it make any difference if she were male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom