C. Viv Stringer...is this news 'new news'? | The Boneyard

C. Viv Stringer...is this news 'new news'?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
She will not be with Rutgers for the entire season....covid concerns.
I read this in today's paper.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She will not be with Rutgers for the entire season....covid concerns.
I read this in today's paper.
This main issue with COVID may be related to her daughter. There are also growing calls for her to retire. Best of luck to her.

"Her 40-year-old daughter, Janine, has spinal meningitis, and Stringer has dealt with her own health issues, including a battle with breast cancer."

Reaction Score
Retirement is tricky! I think there are some experts on the subject in the BY. I just turned 64 and I'm at the stage of seriously contemplating retirement.
I think a big consideration in the equation is whether the organization you work for is better for you staying or better for you going.
For example, as a teacher, there are things I do that I am still at the top of my game and no one would be better than me at those things. There are other things I am not and someone else would be better in the role.
So, likewise for Stringer. And the most important thing to consider in these situations IMO is not the person approaching retirement, but the institution and in this case the young student-athletes.

Reaction Score
Coach Stringer has had more than her share of personal, family issues, not the least of which is caring for a daughter, now 40, who was diagnosed with spinal meningitis at the age of 2. Her decision to virtually completely quarantine herself in order to protect her daughter while continuing to provide for her care personally shows a special type of love that words are inadequate to describe IMO.

Reaction Score
So she is officially retiring, becuase COVID is never going away.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Retirement is tricky! I think there are some experts on the subject in the BY. I just turned 64 and I'm at the stage of seriously contemplating retirement.
I think a big consideration in the equation is whether the organization you work for is better for you staying or better for you going.
For example, as a teacher, there are things I do that I am still at the top of my game and no one would be better than me at those things. There are other things I am not and someone else would be better in the role.
So, likewise for Stringer. And the most important thing to consider in these situations IMO is not the person approaching retirement, but the institution and in this case the young student-athletes.
This is an OT discussion...I was starting to write a big affirmation
Let's just say...it works for me:

-Sept/Oct: in a rented house in a small Bahamian Island...brought down an inflatable catamaran
-Thursday: flying to Rome, train to Salerno, Coming back via a trans-Atlantic on the 20th
-After Christmas: heading West on an Ikon pass to ski until April
-June: Back to the Bahamas (only a month this time).

I've kept a half-share in my C&C 34 at City Island...and I have a book and a few articles to write.
Couldn't ask for a better life.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Agree with the Article Viv Stringer should retire for the betterment of Rutgers. Actually think Viv should have been elevated to another position at the University a couple of years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
55439E3C-9B1E-4494-B125-E7FA35C4445C.jpeg

She’s had a good run.

Reaction Score
This is an OT discussion...I was starting to write a big affirmation
Let's just say...it works for me:

-Sept/Oct: in a rented house in a small Bahamian Island...brought down an inflatable catamaran
-Thursday: flying to Rome, train to Salerno, Coming back via a trans-Atlantic on the 20th
-After Christmas: heading West on an Ikon pass to ski until April
-June: Back to the Bahamas (only a month this time).

I've kept a half-share in my C&C 34 at City Island...and I have a book and a few articles to write.
Couldn't ask for a better life.
Holy crap! Any advice for a long-time teacher (salary) and a life-long irresponsible spender of money.
I'm teaching in Alaska to stockpile some funds. Hope to move to NH. Maybe close enough to go to a UConn game.
Good luck!

Reaction Score
Holy crap! Any advice for a long-time teacher (salary) and a life-long irresponsible spender of money.
I'm teaching in Alaska to stockpile some funds. Hope to move to NH. Maybe close enough to go to a UConn game.
Good luck!
forget about NH..........your money goes farther the further south you go........perhaps head to Costa Rica, I hear they have quite a rabid group of UConn WBB followers and SNY there.....;)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: just for the record: it was Rutgers University that made the announcement about C. Viv...I assume
with her approval. No 'leak' here.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Many studies show that people who do not retire have better brain health than people who do, though I would add some caveats to this. I doubt either a coal miner or a high powered executive would have better brain health by sticking to their jobs in perpetuity.

The key is keeping oneself challenged in a society that views retirement as the time to kickback and relax. A second career, engaging hobbies and/or volunteer work could fit the bill ….

…. or find a career early on that you love too much to retire from.

Reaction Score
Many studies show that people who do not retire have better brain health than people who do, though I would add some caveats to this. I doubt either a coal miner or a high powered executive would have better brain health by sticking to their jobs in perpetuity.

The key is keeping oneself challenged in a society that views retirement as the time to kickback and relax. A second career, engaging hobbies and/or volunteer work could fit the bill ….

…. or find a career early on that you love too much to retire from.
Very much agree, I am 71 in a couple of weeks, still working and other than family, friends, people on the street, etc. asking why I don’t retire it never enters my mind. Since playing sports and singing were my only “hobbies” I have no idea what I would do with all that time on my hands. Physically can’t run anymore because of foot issues but I walk 7-10 miles a day, often in meetings on the phone while walking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom