BYU's OC on UCONN's DL: "Real Dudes" | The Boneyard

BYU's OC on UCONN's DL: "Real Dudes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I interrupt this week-long b1tchfest :) to bring something positive to the table concerning our defense, specifically our embattled DL...

Daniel Freer ‏@DWFreer 23m
@NoEscalators RT "@gregwrubell: Anae said BYU OL was challenged by UConn's defensive linemen: "Those dudes up front were real dudes....""

We need "real dudes" to transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4. I think the results from our Front 7 will be fine going forward. We just had a difficult matchup against a difficult offense to defend in BYU.

#HuskyUp

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought the DL was fine. Stout against the run. They flushed hill out of the pocket several times. Hill was just to fast and athletic. I doubt we face a better qb all year. I just finished the first half last night. Campenni in particular played real well collapsing the pocket up the middle. If anything our backers had trouble and Obi had a real tough first half. The more I watch the more I'm encouraged. This team has obvious physical talent.

In the DL frank got push as did carrezola and even McBride.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I thought our DL play was solid. Played mostly contain against Hill. At times, I didn't think they held contain wide enough but that can be corrected. They definitely penetrated and filled their gap responsibilities. Like you said, Hill is a unique talent that we won't face again all year.

Reaction Score
I agree. Granted, Hill presents some unique challenges, but in general I think the front three got penetration. I just assume that in a 3-4 your LBs are in various blitz packages most of the time to generate a pass rush. I just didn't see any of our LBs have any success getting to the QB.

I said before the season that LB was a giant question mark and that I did not see anyone of the caliber of a Sio, Yawin, Wilson, Lutrus, etc. My hope is that one or two of the young guys can step up and eventually play at that level.

Reaction Score
At lb, I thought vann and junior Joseph, made some nice hits behind the line and stood out. Graham has his moments but got double teamed/trapped on a play where the rb. Went for a big gain. Needs to be more consistent. He kinda disappears on some plays. Ashiru, would like to see him be more physical.

Reaction Score
Thought they did well up front getting pressure. Campenni is a stud following in our pedigree of nfl DT. He was all over the field even though it led to two personal fouls. Frank was giving the lineman fits as well. Pruitt. Adenmi and McBride looked great. If only we dialed up a few blitzes. I know.... coats of paint

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It was amazing to me how Hill radically altered the angles on rushers with such subtle movements, just awesome awareness and presence.

Reaction Score
It was amazing to me how Hill radically altered the angles on rushers with such subtle movements, just awesome awareness and presence.

He's literally a running back in that backfield and can break anybody's contain after read 1, 2, or even 3. Or even from the snap, really. He sees the field extremely well and is quick to find the gap, hole. When you can do that as a college QB, yardage is your friend.

Tough weapon to stop for any defense in the nation. To top it off, he's got a live arm that looks to be fairly accurate to boot.

Reaction Score
This should end one argument and lead to another.

Reaction Score

With all the heisman candidate talk prior to the game, I thought no way I've never heard of the guy. But he's legit. The kid has top tier athletic ability and tremendous skill. His performance will be one to watch from week to week.

Reaction Score
Hill reminded me of Pat White at West Virginia the way he could change the nature of the game. I'm not thrilled with our linebackers, I think they were out of place a lot, but the line was not terrible. thought they did their job generally and contained the run when it wasn't Hill doing the running. As I said on another thread, I don't love Stewart, especially in pass coverage. I thought Ashiru didn't play as well as he can. I thought he really came on late last season. Some of that might be attributed to adjusting to the new system. 11 tackles is fine but in a 3-4 you expect your line backers to make a lot, so it doesn't tell you too much.

Reaction Score
Yeah, there were some positives to the game. Definitely. TX might be suprised this week. I don't think
last year was a fluke against TX. Some of the runs he does against almost everyone...

It's a real treat to have Hill and get to watch him play. He has improved his passing and decision making. BYU hasn't had as QB as athletic as him for around 30 years.

Probably runs a 4.4 or at worst 4.5 40 and he's a big dude. If Taysom can't make it to the NFL as a QB, there's gotta be a place for him somewhere-make a helluva RB in college football, if he wasn't QB or maybe even fullback in the NFL or safety perhaps.

Uconn will be alright and I think playing BYU will help their season overall.

Reaction Score
Hill reminded me of Pat White at West Virginia the way he could change the nature of the game. I'm not thrilled with our linebackers, I think they were out of place a lot, but the line was not terrible. thought they did their job generally and contained the run when it wasn't Hill doing the running. As I said on another thread, I don't love Stewart, especially in pass coverage. I thought Ashiru didn't play as well as he can. I thought he really came on late last season. Some of that might be attributed to adjusting to the new system. 11 tackles is fine but in a 3-4 you expect your line backers to make a lot, so it doesn't tell you too much.

To be fair to the backers, safeties, etc. How do you defend that triple option with Hill at Qb ? Did you see that triple option formation they kept running ? Fake FB dive, Hill keeping it & slinging it out wide to the RB....sometimes in lateral form, but a rocket throw out to the back for 10 plus.

Nasty play. Extremely tough to defend when Hill can keep it & run for days.

Reaction Score
I must've watched another game. The DL was not stout - BYU ran, they passed, they took their time, their recievers ran deliberate routes, the qb surveyed the field with perhaps a step or 2 to the left or the right while listening for the count to hit 10 Mississippi before running, usually in to gaping lanes.

I'm sure we have some strong guys up front, and that is nice. But if that was a good perfromance from the DL then I cringe thinking about the bad day that will eventually come.

Reaction Score
gioff23 said:
I must've watched another game. The DL was not stout - BYU ran, they passed, they took their time, their recievers ran deliberate routes, the qb surveyed the field with perhaps a step or 2 to the left or the right while listening for the count to hit 10 Mississippi before running, usually in to gaping lanes.

I'm sure we have some strong guys up front, and that is nice. But if that was a good perfromance from the DL then I cringe thinking about the bad day that will eventually come.

I would watch again. I thought the dl held up very well against the run. It was the linebackers who didn't fill. As for pass rush, you aren't going to get that from down lineman in a 3-4. The pass rush was a blunder by Coach Diaco. Rarely was an extra man sent to rush the passer. Which made it even more mind boggling they didn't have a SS/LB spy on hill.

I have no problems whatsoever from our d linemen.

Reaction Score
I would watch again. I thought the dl held up very well against the run. It was the linebackers who didn't fill. As for pass rush, you aren't going to get that from down lineman in a 3-4. The pass rush was a blunder by Coach Diaco. Rarely was an extra man sent to rush the passer. Which made it even more mind boggling they didn't have a SS/LB spy on hill.

The DL did their job against the run. The scouting report (and game plan) re Hill is to play contain, keep him in the pocket, and wait until makes a mistake. We won't know whether the DL can generate pressure for a couple of weeks because they were told not to pressure.

The lack of a spy was strange, but consistent with Diaco's approach to the game.

Reaction Score

I agree with all of this. But keep in mind it wasn't an error that we had no pass rush. We weren't drilling down to, you know, figure out how to stop the opponent. It was about us getting better.

Reaction Score
we gave up over 200 on the ground to a team that could have put the ball up 100 x (500+ yards total). They ran the ball to give Hill a breather and chew up some clock, and did so at a 5.5 yd/play clip. Oh, and did we mention they were playing w/o their starter at RB. Otherwise, quite stout

Reaction Score
we gave up over 200 on the ground to a team that could have put the ball up 100 x (500+ yards total). They ran the ball to give Hill a breather and chew up some clock, and did so at a 5.5 yd/play clip. Oh, and did we mention they were playing w/o their starter at RB. Otherwise, quite stout

If you are going to post, at least get the numbers right. Hill had 98 yds and the RB's had 25 carries for 108 yds. The RB's ran for a little over 4 yds a carry.

They ran the ball because they are a good running team. Even without their top RB. They base their passing game on deceiving the defense with their option style running game. Not easy to defend.

I guess the BYU OC just wanted our guys to feel good, hence the comment. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
gioff23 said:

Wait are we talking about the uconn defense as a whole, or the down linemen? the down lineman were stout, byu rarely pushed them off the ball. The linebacker play, on the other hand, was anything but stout.

Reaction Score

i think you have the wrong thread. this is the positive, feel good, get ready to pound Stonybrook thread. you want the other debbie-downer, we're doomed, whaler-esque thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom