BYU's NIL: Pay Everyone | The Boneyard

BYU's NIL: Pay Everyone

Reaction Score
BYU is giving all of its football scholarship players $1000, and others will receive the value of a scholarship. This is a way of keeping the entire team in the loop w/out foreclosing the prospect of some stars receiving even more. All compensated players will have to wear a uniform patch noting the name of the sponsor. Soon players will look like NASCARs.
Will giving everyone at least some skin in the game support the concept of team?
Will BYU have a competitive advantage?
How about placing a monetary value on every Husky and paying them up front? Ridiculous. I suppose the market will determine, as it always does, how much each player is worth. Is this an infallible method of sorting out an athlete's value?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So here’s the part I don’t get. BYU players will wear a Built Brands logo on their practice helmets. BYU has a contract with Nike for all game day gear, so no Built Brands logos during games. Who watches practice?

Reaction Score
So here’s the part I don’t get. BYU players will wear a Built Brands logo on their practice helmets. BYU has a contract with Nike for all game day gear, so no Built Brands logos during games. Who watches practice?
I think Built Brand's $85,000 has already given them far more in free publicity. Its an interesting position. I like Florida's $500 per player/month idea. I remember when these kids had no money in their pocket.

Reaction Score
It is better than they wear a Built Brands logo in the locker room ...:)

Reaction Score
The question was: how can we give some shekels to 98% of the team so they don’t feel left out of this NIL thing and start causing problems?

the answer was : get a local sponsor to come up with the $$$ and we’ll throw a sticker somewhere.

my grandson just started in a T-ball league and is negotiating with a local pizza joint to wear tomato sauce stains on his jersey.
God bless America.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I think Built Brand's $85,000 has already given them far more in free publicity. Its an interesting position. I like Florida's $500 per player/month idea. I remember when these kids had no money in their pocket.
I remember when I went to college with no money in my pocket.,.and I had to pay for my education. Sorry I have absolutely no sympathy for this topic. I ran out of money after 2 years had to drop out and get a job. We have real problems going on and this is not one of them. It's too bad that a $250.000. education is no longer good enough. Good grief once again we seem to have a case of the tail wagging the dog. College athletes have been given the opportunity to earn money, those with something to offer corporate America go for it, if they don't have anything to offer, too bad. Ed this is not about you or your views, it just got to the point after reading various posts that I had enough. What is in the works is play for pay, come join our team and get thousands of dollars a week, a month whatever. A sad day, for me and many perhaps it's time to go back to following high school sports. :(

Reaction Score
I remember when I went to college with no money in my pocket.,.and I had to pay for my education. Sorry I have absolutely no sympathy for this topic. I ran out of money after 2 years had to drop out and get a job. We have real problems going on and this is not one of them. It's too bad that a $250.000. education is no longer good enough. Good grief once again we seem to have a case of the tail wagging the dog. College athletes have been given the opportunity to earn money, those with something to offer corporate America go for it, if they don't have anything to offer, too bad. Ed this is not about you or your views, it just got to the point after reading various posts that I had enough. What is in the works is play for pay, come join our team and get thousands of dollars a week, a month whatever. A sad day, for me and many perhaps it's time to go back to following high school sports. :(
Moose, I do not disagree with you. I spent more than 30 years in college athletics and I know my point of view is different than an average fan. I learned early on that just when you think a student-athlete is showing signs of mature adultness, they prove you wrong by doing something stupid. There is a reason they are called college kids.

Some facts behind my thinking: (1) The television revenue from the Men's Div I basketball tournament (March Madness) accounts for 80% of the NCAA's operating budget. This pays for many of the overpaid NCAA staff members, as well as all of the div II & III regional and national tournaments and some of the Div I non-revenue sports national tournaments. Without March Madness television revenue NCAA sports as we know them would not exist. (2) Head counter sports (M & W basketball, football and women's volleyball) are full scholarship student-athletes and before NIL could not work at all during an academic semester. Many of these students come from some of the worst poverty imaginable. Many don't have a credit card from their parents and they don't have fancy clothes or cars. Most teams rightfully bend rules a bit with team swag as the student-athlete wardrobe because the kids don't have money for clothes, nor do they have money to get a burger or pizza with friends, never mind go out on a proper date. (3) More crime among student-athletes is covered up than anyone knows about. (4) The few college athletic departments that actually break even with their athletic department have a larger amount of students from my 2nd and 3rd points.

If student-athletes could have $500 per month spending money it would clear away many of these associated problems. I don't think the top few student athletes should make $1 million per year from NIL and the foreign student-athletes and the less talented students on the team make zero. The schools and NCAA are taking in money from the athletic ability of these kids. The student-athletes deserve a piece of the pie. This NIL is brand new and not thought out properly. I am sure rules will change. This is a new world and it is crazy. Frankly, I'm glad I don't have to deal with NIL.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Moose, I do not disagree with you. I spent more than 30 years in college athletics and I know my point of view is different than an average fan. I learned early on that just when you think a student-athlete is showing signs of mature adultness, they prove you wrong by doing something stupid. There is a reason they are called college kids.

Some facts behind my thinking: (1) The television revenue from the Men's Div I basketball tournament (March Madness) accounts for 80% of the NCAA's operating budget. This pays for many of the overpaid NCAA staff members, as well as all of the div II & III regional and national tournaments and some of the Div I non-revenue sports national tournaments. Without March Madness television revenue NCAA sports as we know them would not exist. (2) Head counter sports (M & W basketball, football and women's volleyball) are full scholarship student-athletes and before NIL could not work at all during an academic semester. Many of these students come from some of the worst poverty imaginable. Many don't have a credit card from their parents and they don't have fancy clothes or cars. Most teams rightfully bend rules a bit with team swag as the student-athlete wardrobe because the kids don't have money for clothes, nor do they have money to get a burger or pizza with friends, never mind go out on a proper date. (3) More crime among student-athletes is covered up than anyone knows about. (4) The few college athletic departments that actually break even with their athletic department have a larger amount of students from my 2nd and 3rd points.

If student-athletes could have $500 per month spending money it would clear away many of these associated problems. I don't think the top few student athletes should make $1 million per year from NIL and the foreign student-athletes and the less talented students on the team make zero. The schools and NCAA are taking in money from the athletic ability of these kids. The student-athletes deserve a piece of the pie. This NIL is brand new and not thought out properly. I am sure rules will change. This is a new world and it is crazy. Frankly, I'm glad I don't have to deal with NIL.
I would jump on your band wagon if I thought the money distribution would be done evenly for every team NCAA wide and would be an even payout. I think we all know that this will never be the case. Whatever rules that have been in effect since day one have been abused and circumvented. We are now throwing around a huge number of dollars on the table, my guess is that there will be an even greater number of $ under the table used to lure wanted players, transfers will sky rocket, recruits will get payed one way or another just to sign an offer. Sorry if I don't see a silver lining in this can of worms. One thing I know from following college sports is that there are a lot of cheaters in the coaching ranks willing to do what it takes to get an edge. More money means more cheating and more disparity.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I remember when Jerry Tarkanian said he was fined by the NCAA for buying a player a sandwich.

Reaction Score
I would jump on your band wagon if I thought the money distribution would be done evenly for every team NCAA wide and would be an even payout. I think we all know that this will never be the case. Whatever rules that have been in effect since day one have been abused and circumvented. We are now throwing around a huge number of dollars on the table, my guess is that there will be an even greater number of $ under the table used to lure wanted players, transfers will sky rocket, recruits will get payed one way or another just to sign an offer. Sorry if I don't see a silver lining in this can of worms. One thing I know from following college sports is that there are a lot of cheaters in the coaching ranks willing to do what it takes to get an edge. More money means more cheating and more disparity.
We are aligned closely Moose. If you buy a ticket and go to a game, or watch on TV you have no idea of everything that goes on behind the scenes. That's all I'm going to say about that. My favorite student-athletes were the ones that probably would not have gone to college except for athletics. They earned their degree and they worked hard to do it. They didn't play professionally. And they used that degree to better their lives. I stay in touch with quite a few and always look forward to Christmas cards and other communications. That's what makes college athletics great.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I remember when Jerry Tarkanian said he was fined by the NCAA for buying a player a sandwich.
Tark ended up suing the NCAA for harassment. The NCAA eventually agreed to settle with him for the tidy sum of $2.5 million.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I remember when the stupidest stuff used to be a violation, now it seems like almost nothing is. NCAA did a fast about face on that. Absolutely the NIL is going to be abused to a massive degree, to think otherwise is...naive at best.

Reaction Score
This whole thing will mirror society. There will be the 1% who have profited more than the the 99% combined.

Reaction Score
I agree with your post 1,000%.
Free education (and often a no show job for pocket $$) not good enough.
End “game” results in a bunch of uneducated ex college athletes, without two nickels to rub together and no career prospects.
But hey, maybe they’ll get priority hiring delivering pizzas for the company they once advertised on their uniforms.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I paid for a student-athlete's eyes exam, and paid for a pair of glasses and contacts. I did not get fined. It was the right thing to do and I would do it over every time.
Ed, I know you are not alone in helping those you knew who needed help. I commend you for the help you provided above and would bet it's only one example of many acts of help and compassion you provided. One dirty little secret in teaching-coaching, every season\year there will be at least one student-athlete you work with that truly needs assistance. It's unfortunate that the rules are written to prevent those who's needs are provided for from taking advantage of a system, leaving those who are really in need of help left in the wings with no where to turn for that help. It would be against the nature of the majority of coaches to ignore one of theirs who need a hand. Thanks' to all who provide a helping hand to those truly in need.

Reaction Score
This whole thing will mirror society. There will be the 1% who have profited more than the the 99% combined.

And don't think for one second this entire NIL thing will not have a negative effect on team chemistry either. There will be players who will deeply resent other teammates making a ton of cash while they get nothing, that's just human nature. They will probably say & do the right things publicly but privately??? Watch for an uptick in transfers as well- "why should I break my *$# just so Players X, Y & Z can pocket all the $?". Envy is never pretty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom