BYU lobbying hard to join the Big 12 | The Boneyard

BYU lobbying hard to join the Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2012/...sively-pursuing-full-membership-in-the-big-12

not a surprise, but if they don't join the big 12, then maybe receptive to the Big East? If they don move in, does it help or hurt UL's chances?

So is Texas.....sorry, I mean the Big12 going to change their stance on BYU keeping their own tv channel and media rights? I'm trying to figure out if the addition of WVU has made that conversation easier or harder.

As to your question about Louisville; I think that if BYU goes to the Big12, the call to Louisville will occur exactly 4 minutes later. It will give them 12 teams which will give them the option of the championship game (whether or not they want one is a different issue, based on what I've read). And they are already pretty warm on Louisville as it is, if the media reports are correct...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Here is a quick piece of a conversation between Dave Ubben (ESPN) and our favorite commish, Chuck Neinas:

DU: Down the last road, you secured the first-tier money without a championship game, but that's up for renegotiation in 2014. Could you see that being a catalyst for future expansion?
CN: No -- well, it could be. But I don't think that's necessarily what would drive expansion.

So I'm thinking if BYU = yes, then Louisville = yes, yes. As for BYU coming to the Big East if they don't go to the Big12, I would like that, but I think that something would have to change in order for it to happen. When last they met, we were slightly more desperate and the deal didn't get done. Since that point, we have added Memphis and possibly Temple (I know what some of you are thinking.....LESS desperate??). But BYU would be a nice 14th team, and would even up the western side.

The crazy crazy world of realignment continues....

Reaction Score
Here is a quick piece of a conversation between Dave Ubben (ESPN) and our favorite commish, Chuck Neinas:

DU: Down the last road, you secured the first-tier money without a championship game, but that's up for renegotiation in 2014. Could you see that being a catalyst for future expansion?
CN: No -- well, it could be. But I don't think that's necessarily what would drive expansion.

So I'm thinking if BYU = yes, then Louisville = yes, yes. As for BYU coming to the Big East if they don't go to the Big12, I would like that, but I think that something would have to change in order for it to happen. When last they met, we were slightly more desperate and the deal didn't get done. Since that point, we have added Memphis and possibly Temple (I know what some of you are thinking.....LESS desperate??). But BYU would be a nice 14th team, and would even up the western side.

The crazy crazy world of realignment continues....
What would have to change is adding Boise & SDSU as full members once BYU said yes to the Big East.Associate membershp doesn't work & is a logistical nightmare.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What would have to change is adding Boise & SDSU as full members once BYU said yes to the Big East.Associate membershp doesn't work & is a logistical nightmare.

I agree, coachcap, but the western division is going to look something like:

Boise St., SDSU, BYU, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati (for as long as they all stay together).

Can you imagine basketball teams, soccer teams, or volleyball teams doing all of that travel every week?? They would trade the logistical nightmare of associate membership for the financial nightmare of non-geographic Olympic sports! I think that would spell the end of the end for the western division (certainly for L'Ville and Cincy)...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
would byu give the b12 3 time zones?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
not a surprise, but if they don't join the big 12, then maybe receptive to the Big East? If they don move in, does it help or hurt UL's chances?

I think it doesn't matter either way. The Big-12 has to know that they are one Texas/Oklahoma move away from becoming another Big East scenario. They wanna shore up as many strong programs as they can, especially if it makes Texas happy. If BYU says no, I see them directing their sites on Cincy or maybe even Boise.

I posted this on another thread but remember, TCU was not wanted by Texas and look what happened, they ended up in the Big 12. I know everyone is saying (commish and media that is) that there's no interest in Boise from the big conferences, but do you think the Big-12 wouldn't give them a look if BYU stays no and they don't find Cincy as attractive? Just a thought.

I think Louisville will be getting a call after the 2012 season. Hell, it might even happen during the 2012 season like Pitt, 'Cuse, and WVU. So we can easily see 2013 be a season without those three schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom