BYU deal: DOA... | The Boneyard

BYU deal: DOA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Per AP reports. Oh well.

Bring on SDSU, I guess...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
seriously i don't get why any program would want to join the big east. the rest of the FB schools are going to jump ship as soon as they can. they are joining a paper conference. or whatever the term is.

Reaction Score
To get to 12 if Air Force declines:

West

Boise State
Houston
SMU
SDSU
UCF/UofL (other slides east)
Fresno State/UNLV/Nevada/San Jose State

Reaction Score
As long as we get Houston & Boise we'll be fine. That is if the AQ even exists in the future.

Reaction Score
"At issue are television rights. The person says BYU wanted to retain the rights to its home football games and the league could not agree to that."

Short AP article. Nothing about other schools.

Reaction Score
There is no way the AQ system stays in place after they vote this summer. It looks likely that a 7-5 Louisville will be the Big East representative to the Orange Bowl.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where would you like me to send your winning, Capt Renault?

Nowhere. BYU cares about spreading their religion, they don't give a crap about going to the BCS once every decade. They were never going to join the conference, so the fact that they aren't interested isn't exactly a shock.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Nowhere. BYU cares about spreading their religion, they don't give a crap about going to the BCS once every decade. They were never going to join the conference, so the fact that they aren't interested isn't exactly a shock.
Well, apparently the care about having a TV rights deal that nobody else in the conference gets more than they care about spreading their religion through the BE, though they may step up their door knocking elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I would expect an announcement regarding expansion soon. Maybe next Tuesday:)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
As Rob Schneider would say.... Oh no, we suck again!

Reaction Score
As long as we get Houston & Boise we'll be fine. That is if the AQ even exists in the future.

What is the lovefest with Houston? Do people realize their schedule is made up of teams 21 games under .500. They are not what Bosie or TCU has been over the past few years. Do you think they would run the table in the BE?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What is the lovefest with Houston? Do people realize their schedule is made up of teams 21 games under .500. They are not what Bosie or TCU has been over the past few years. Do you think they would run the table in the BE?

Houston would probably go undefeated this year in the SEC, what are you talking about???

If the BCS AQ system exists in the future, the BE would like to add Houston's BCS numbers to it's ledger, simple as that.

Reaction Score

They are the best of the rest, probably by a pretty wide margin.

- Decent FB program, with several high-profile players in the past decade.
- Top 10 TV market
- Access to Texas recruiting
- Bball heritage

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Well, apparently the care about having a TV rights deal that nobody else in the conference gets more than they care about spreading their religion through the BE, though they may step up their door knocking elsewhere.

They are intertwined. They wanted the right to rebroadcast all their games as often as they desired -- including the same day. They were willing to give up real tme rights.

Given their deal with ESPN it sounds like there wasn't any more money there with the BE. ESPN already agreed to pay them $1.2 millon for 3 home games for real time rights. 1 game was reserved for the BYU network leaving 2 games for ESPN and the BYU Network to 'fight over' every year at the lower $800,000 real time fee if ESPN picked them up.

Reaction Score

First they are a top 10 BCS team in Texas going to an AQ conference which means they should get better and handle a tougher schedule.

For all you people that think the AQ just goes away I'm not buying it. Do you really think the ACC and Big East are going to just sit back and watch this happen?

There is just no way the largest TV market, from New England to Florida is left out. The lawsuits would never end.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You do realize why they care about the TV deal right?

Reaction Score
"At issue are television rights. The person says BYU wanted to retain the rights to its home football games and the league could not agree to that."

Short AP article. Nothing about other schools.

Forgive the conspiracy theory but, from what I read, BYU only in the last few days pulled a show stopper condition out of their to kill the deal. This was after weeks of negotiation. In the process, they raised their profile as a desired institution and further crapped on the Big East's image. I can't help but wonder if their TV partner encouraged them to drag it out and take us to third base for PR purposes. The issue that killed it sounds like one that should have come up in the first 15 minutes.

Reaction Score
I for one am glad BE is moving forward finally, their choice or not. I don't mean to sound negative, but did they not know that BYU and the B12 had negotiations that broke down, due to the TV deal? Or did they believe BYU would concede to the BE, but not the B12? I'm just curious. Am I missing something here.

I hope for the best for UCONN and the BE, certainly. But I have to wonder about the BE management. I must be missing something.

Reaction Score
BYU's loss. I bet there are many unhappy BYU fans tonight. From the boards I read most favored the move. Not being in a conference has got to be a drag and many were expressing that feeling.

I'm over it already. Swap in San Diego State and keep moving forward.

BTW I would not be surprised if BYU got a little bump in their contract to say no.

Reaction Score
Funny thing about SDSU fans when reading their boards is they think they are world beaters when it comes to Basketball. Last year was the first time ever they advanced past the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
You do realize why they care about the TV deal right?

The TV market I understand, I just don't think Boise and esp. Houston would run over BE teams week in and week out.

Reaction Score
The TV market I understand, I just don't think Boise and esp. Houston would run over BE teams week in and week out.
Neither do BE FB fans. Just like no one thought TCU would, but the problem is WE NEED TEAMS unless the NCAA and BCS change their rules and allow us to have a 5 team league where we play home and home series every year. So, you go for the teams that at the very least bring in some BCS ranking to the table. For 2011 that's Houston, for 2008-2011 that's Boise.

I think all would have preferred that SyraPittVirginia were remaining in the league, but they're not. So you go after the best available options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom