BYU Cougars AD Tom Holmoe talks ESPN contract, Cougars’ future as a football independent,and more... | The Boneyard

BYU Cougars AD Tom Holmoe talks ESPN contract, Cougars’ future as a football independent,and more...

Reaction Score
>>Brigham Young University is not actively looking to place its independent football team into a conference outside one of the five power conferences, athletic director Tom Holmoe said Wednesday during an hourlong roundtable discussion with reporters who cover the school’s athletic program. Holmoe has said in the past that independence is not sustainable in the long term, but he backed away from that stand a bit at the Marriott Center Annex Wednesday, saying that where the Cougars are now is better than they would be if they were in a Group of Five conference such as the Mountain West. Answering more than 60 questions, Holmoe discussed everything from the recent release of offensive coordinator and BYU legend Ty Detmer to the school’s contract with ESPN that expires after the 2019 season to his Super Bowl pick the Patriots>>

BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks ESPN contract, Cougars’ future as a football independent, and more

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
They seem to be doing OK. Some years are better than others, but with games against Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Stanford, Cal USC, Arizona, Arizona St, Tennessee, Michigan St, Virginia, Minnesota and Baylor to go along with their annual game against Utah over the next four years, they have quite the P5 flavor. That goes along with their G5 schedule that includes Boise St, Houston, ECU, USF, UMass and a couple of MAC schools. Their lower games are either regional of other independents (UMass and Liberty).

BYU Schedules

Reaction Score
So if I read this right, they know it's not sustainable but they are going to hold out for a P5? Interesting play when the Mountain West or American would take them and Boise State.

Reaction Score
I look forward to the creation of L Ron Hubbard University. Easy choice for nickname: Thetans.

Reaction Score
So if I read this right, they know it's not sustainable but they are going to hold out for a P5? Interesting play when the Mountain West or American would take them and Boise State.

The Mtn West or American will always be there waiting. It's like their "safety conference" if they don't get in to their dream conference.

Reaction Score
He said that where they are now is better than being in a G5.

If the lot improves for G5 conferences, I'm sure they think they would not go without an invite.

Sooo...I guess the strategy of staying independent while awaiting a P5 opening makes some sense.

Reaction Score
Sooo...I guess the strategy of staying independent while awaiting a P5 opening makes some sense.

Yeah. If you are a school named "Notre Dame" or (to a lesser extent) "Brigham Young". Other schools not so much.

Reaction Score
Not that interesting to me. If we could get a schedule like theirs, I’d want to be independent too. Their fans would hate the American coming from a schedule like that.

Actually their schedule is typically very MWC heavy already.

They may play 1 to 2 more autonomy games depending on the year but it's not a desirable schedule.

AAC has better teams than the MWC, so trading schedules with BYU isn't really a net positive.

In the last 3 years both Houston and UCF out of the AAC have capped very strong years with NY6 statement games.

BYU will never get into the CFP or the NY6 with the schedules they have. I'd love to see them have a magical season (dont get me wrong) but if they have a 'magical year' they might finagle a Sun Bowl invite against a second rate Pac 12 school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom