Byu Coach On Byu/be Discussion | The Boneyard

Byu Coach On Byu/be Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Very interesting. There is definitely a serious buzz building about this. I really hope they get an invite but wouldn't be surprised if the BE holds off until sometime next year after the new TV deal starts being negotiated. I think right now the expectation should be that Boise, Houston, SMU, and UCF are coming. It could be that the service academies don't come and we play with a 12 team league in 2013 including Cuse, Pitt, WVU and the new 4 or a 14 team league that inludes the service academies. If/when Cuse, Pitt, and WVU leave I expect the Big East to then finish up it's expansion and add anywhere from 1 to 7 new members depending on where things stand at that point.

Reaction Score
If the BE has any shot at BYU and "holds off" on an invitation for any reason, then WVU should have no problem winning their case against the BE as the BE commissioner's office will again have proven itself inept. BYU would give instant credibility and along with Boise would be a great foundation to the Big West. Regardless of whether accepts an invite or not, BYU should be included as a top priority for the conference. Obviously BYU may want a full membership as their hoop program is historically decent. That may be an issue.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whichever teams the BE invites and whichever teams accept the invite, there is no guarantee they will be ending up in the BE.

I don't see the B12 waiting until 2013 for WV. So they may still may make a play for BYU even if BYU gets an invite to the BE and accepts. We could see BYU taking the same path as TCU.

Of course this puts WV and the BE in an interesting position. I would love the BE accept them back with some penalties. WV and Boise is much better than BYU and Boise.

If I'm correct the B12 still hasn't resolved their own crisis. And that means they take some western teams or decide to split. So this isn't over by a long shot.

Reaction Score
If the BE has any shot at BYU and "holds off" on an invitation for any reason, then WVU should have no problem winning their case against the BE as the BE commissioner's office will again have proven itself inept. BYU would give instant credibility and along with Boise would be a great foundation to the Big West. Regardless of whether accepts an invite or not, BYU should be included as a top priority for the conference. Obviously BYU may want a full membership as their hoop program is historically decent. That may be an issue.

I agree that they should be offered a spot if they want it and I would advocate for the creation of an all sports western division. BYU may be the ones holding off though so they won't get an invite until they tell the BE they will definitely accept it. They probably want to see what the new BE TV deal is looking like and the AQ situation before they commit. They are indy though so they can join for football right before the season if it came to that.

Reaction Score
I agree that they should be offered a spot if they want it and I would advocate for the creation of an all sports western division. BYU may be the ones holding off though so they won't get an invite until they tell the BE they will definitely accept it. They probably want to see what the new BE TV deal is looking like and the AQ situation before they commit. They are indy though so they can join for football right before the season if it came to that.

Problem is BE needs to have its membership squared away before we go to the table with ESPN and other TV partners. BYU gonna have to make a decision if they are in or not. Otherwise, BE needs to move to another school such as SDSU for the 12th spot. I don't think BE can afford to wait on BYU or anyone else for the 12th spot.

Reaction Score
Problem is BE needs to have its membership squared away before we go to the table with ESPN and other TV partners. BYU gonna have to make a decision if they are in or not. Otherwise, BE needs to move to another school such as SDSU for the 12th spot. I don't think BE can afford to wait on BYU or anyone else for the 12th spot.

I honestly don't know if the 12th spot is all that important. If we are at 11 once Cuse, Pitt, and WVU leave and BYU is still available, they will join. If the Big 12 has scooped them up then that will be that and we'll take SDSU, Nevada, or Fresno for 12 if we stay at 12. Either way, this will almost certainly be decided by the time the next TV deal is finalized.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't know if the 12th spot is all that important. If we are at 11 once Cuse, Pitt, and WVU leave and BYU is still available, they will join. If the Big 12 has scooped them up then that will be that and we'll take SDSU, Nevada, or Fresno for 12 if we stay at 12. Either way, this will almost certainly be decided by the time the next TV deal is finalized.

BYU also has their own independent TV deal, so the BE would have to work around that to include them in the league. That might be a tough sell for the other western teams if BYU makes significantly more money with a combined BE and Independent TV deal.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
BYU is the model UConn should follow. Granted, the Jonathan Husky religion isn't global and is of most interest to CT. Joking aside there is some potential synergy there. They bid on the MWC basketball tourney and are looking to add sports. How about some late night Mormon programming on the" Husky Mormon" network. Reruns of Donnie and Marie? Better than some of SNY's programming :)

BYU would be great to add in all sports. BYU as a substitute for Pitt is close to a wash. At least it's a reasonable add. .

Houston, SMU and UCF for West Virginia? OK. Not the worst trade. Boise for SU football? SU basketball simply can't be replaced.

This may work out yet.

Reaction Score
i won't believe either BYU or Boise are in the BE until they're in our stadium. unfortunately any of these teams are potential fodder for the Big12, and all the Big12 really has to do is offer and we'll lose them. i'm very worried about that, as it's always possible that both of them are just using us to get a B12 invite. if B12 takes both, they might accomplish their goal of getting WVU in next year if it causes the BE to collapse. hopefully the B12 is too inept to get that done, personally i think they are.

Reaction Score
i won't believe either BYU or Boise are in the BE until they're in our stadium. unfortunately any of these teams are potential fodder for the Big12, and all the Big12 really has to do is offer and we'll lose them. i'm very worried about that, as it's always possible that both of them are just using us to get a B12 invite. if B12 takes both, they might accomplish their goal of getting WVU in next year if it causes the BE to collapse. hopefully the B12 is too inept to get that done, personally i think they are.

They are just as worried UConn, RU, UL, UC could bolt for the ACC/B12

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They are just as worried UConn, RU, UL, UC could bolt for the ACC/B12

They should be. If even UConn and UL leave, the BB teams split off, leaving a hodge podge non-conference of football teams without a home for their olympic sports.

Reaction Score

For once though, the BE fb-only model works here. Boise's other sports suck, and the school is located far from the rest of the B12. I doubt the B12 wants to add them in all sports. And I doubt the B12 wants to wade into FB-only invitations.

Reaction Score
For once though, the BE fb-only model works here. Boise's other sports suck, and the school is located far from the rest of the B12. I doubt the B12 wants to add them in all sports. And I doubt the B12 wants to wade into FB-only invitations.
I think that's a good point

Reaction Score
UConn needs to get out of this basketball league they are in and take the lead in forming a new super conference. The ACC is just another basketball league with not much better football except for the ones they stole from the Big East. Not a destination for the future if you ask me. Times are changing so why not think big and bring like minded schools together.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to get out of this basketball league they are in and take the lead in forming a new super conference. The ACC is just another basketball league with not much better football except for the ones they stole from the Big East. Not a destination for the future if you ask me. Times are changing so why not think big and bring like minded schools together.
#1, No history.
#2. No tradition.
Who from a stable conference would jump to be with us? Who's left?

Reaction Score

Right now our like minded schools are Louisville, Cinci, USF, Rutgers, Boise St., BYU, SDSU, UCF, Houston, and SMU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom