BYU and AAC | The Boneyard

BYU and AAC

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
They and Boise should both join - AAC would have their champ in the new proposed playoff most years if they did.

Their softball and volleyball teams would hate the travel...but that is life!

Reaction Score
If AAC can get Boise, then AAC all suddenly looking more appealing to BYU.. It be good for TV across multiple time zones if AAC truly get a real Western division.

If BYU stays indy, I would like to see UConn sign a long term series with them.

Reaction Score
With the new playoff an AAC with BYU becomes one heck of a football league. Basically P6 sans the money. I would expect them to control that auto-bid at least 7 out of 10 years.

Reaction Score
With the new playoff an AAC with BYU becomes one heck of a football league. Basically P6 sans the money. I would expect them to control that auto-bid at least 7 out of 10 years.
I thought one of the proposals is best 6 conference champs get the 6 out of 12 bids for all conferences. I know P5 will never go for this, but this would be a game changer for all the G5 conferences if true. In this case, an AAC conference champ would have much better chance of getting one of the 6 bids vs. other G5 conferences due to better in-conference competition.

Reaction Score
I thought one of the proposals is best 6 conference champs get the 6 out of 12 bids for all conferences. I know P5 will never go for this, but this would be a game changer for all the G5 conferences if true. In this case, an AAC conference champ would have much better chance of getting one of the 6 bids vs. other G5 conferences due to better in-conference competition.
Yes I agree, big win for the G5 especially the AAC if it passes. In theory even 2 G5 champs could secure bids, (obviously would likely never happen).

Reaction Score
If this happens, we should beg to rejoin.

Reaction Score
I can't believe Joseph Smith actually succeeded.

Reaction Score
If this happens, we should beg to rejoin.
We should stay as an indy provided we can keep scheduling teams without major issues.

The only downside is there won't be a first round bye for indys. ND won't get a bye either. If Uconn is good enough to be in the top 12, we got a shot to get into the tournament.

So, there isn't an incentive to join the AAC unless AAC can drastically improve the media payout.

Regardless, this college football caste system needs to go. More and more people are losing interest outside fans of few teams. A 12 round playoff might bring some of these fans back.

Reaction Score
If Uconn is good enough to be in the top 12, we got a shot to get into the tournament.
How is that ever going to happen when two of our wins are vs Holy Cross and Yale? Our schedule will never be good enough to pull off an at large bid. Winning a league title that puts us in contention for a spot in the tournament is a realistic goal, getting an at large bid would be virtually impossible.

If this 12 team playoff passes UCONN should try to get the football program back into a conference (even the MAC), keeping it's other sports in the BIg East of course, unless an all sports P5 offer came our way.

BTW UCONN football did not leave the AAC because UCONN wanted football to become Indy, UCONN football was kicked out of the AAC when UCONN decided to move all other sports to the Big East. UCONN asked to keep football in the AAC and they declined.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An aspect of one proposal that is not talked about much that I think will become important:

In that proposal, while teams ranked #1-#4 will have a bye.... the "play in" games of numbers 5-12 will be played on the home field of the higher ranking team. That, I think, is a great feature.

A lot of intrigue and interest in the rankings of #5-12. Who plays at home and who doesn't...and a bonus for the fans of the higher ranked team...a game against a highly ranked team in your stadium.

Reaction Score
They and Boise should both join - AAC would have their champ in the new proposed playoff most years if they did.

Their softball and volleyball teams would hate the travel...but that is life!

The smart move here would be for BYU and Gonzaga to get Boise and SDSU invited to the WCC for all sports, and for BYU/Boise/SDSU to all join the AAC for football. BYU/Boise/SDSU get better competition, the AAC becomes the clear best G5, with its champ almost always getting the sixth conference champ spot, the WCC becomes the clear best non-power conference for basketball, Gonzaga and BYU get more quality games on the schedule, etc. AAC goes to two 7-team divisions with either Tulane or Navy moving to the eastern division.

Reaction Score
I think the 12 team playoff means there is no reason for Boise St. or BYU to join the AAC. Why? First, Boise has a better chance of winning the MWC than the AAC so they could go 13-0, win the MWC, and they would probably be the higher ranked conference champ over a 12-1 AAC team. For BYU, they are playing 7 P5 schools in 2021 (Arizona, Utah, Arizona St., Baylor, Washington St., Virginia, and USC) as well as Boise St., Utah St. and USF so if they go 12-1 with that schedule they would be ranked in the top 12 and probably get a playoff bid. BYU can schedule decent schools, so why go to the AAC?

Going back to 2010 and using the final BCS or CFP rankings, the AAC (teams currently in the AAC) was the highest ranked G5 champion 6 times, the MWC 3x, and the MAC 2x.

Reaction Score
Ok, first, let’s not get our panties in a bunch over a playoff bid when we are light years away. Let’s win a game. Let’s get bowl eligible. Let’s gain perspective.

Not sure BYU needs AAC or any conference yet. They join AAC and they need to drop lots of scheduled games so they can play Directional community colleges in Deep South. They can be highly ranked without conf affiliation

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
1) BYU is staying independent for many reasons. IF they joined a conference, it would not be AAC.
2) I do not want back into the AAC until they add Alabama, Texas, USC, Oregon, and Ohio State. We would be a nice New England representative of a national conference.

Reaction Score
We should stay as an indy provided we can keep scheduling teams without major issues.

The only downside is there won't be a first round bye for indys. ND won't get a bye either. If Uconn is good enough to be in the top 12, we got a shot to get into the tournament.

So, there isn't an incentive to join the AAC unless AAC can drastically improve the media payout.

Regardless, this college football caste system needs to go. More and more people are losing interest outside fans of few teams. A 12 round playoff might bring some of these fans back.
The ability to schedule is my concern.

Reaction Score
Just getting in..ain't winning.

Take Notre Dame as an example....

The past shows that playing a 10 win team in a bowl game has not had good results for the Irish...since 2000, no victory in a bowl over a team with at least 10 wins.

Since 2000...

2001...Fiesta...lost by 32 points
2002...Gator....lost by 22
2005...Fiesta....lost by 14
2006...Sugar....lost by 27
2012....BCS.......lost by 28
2015....Fiesta....lost by 16
2018...Cotton...lost by 27
2020...Rose......lost by 17

Reaction Score
The ability to schedule is my concern.

At this point, it shouldn't be. The football scheduling has far exceeded my expectations. And that with the program having bottomed out. Imagine what would happen if we became a respectable program again.

Reaction Score
At this point, it shouldn't be. The football scheduling has far exceeded my expectations. And that with the program having bottomed out. Imagine what would happen if we became a respectable program again.
Scheduling as an Independent is always a concern. This shift to a new Playoff format will have some repercussions for scheduling. I hope they are somehow positive, but we will see.

Reaction Score
One SEC coach is predicting that the new CFP will bring more of the high profile non conference games.

Georgia's coach, Kirby Smart:

With teams now able to afford an early-season loss (or two), Smart implied that fans could end up seeing more high-profile nonconference games.

“I think a lot of this is going to boil down to strength of schedule,” Smart said on ESPN’s Marty & McGee, via 247Sports. “For a long time now we have been trying to build up our future strength of schedule, because it’s not the losses that are going to kill you; it’s not playing the best teams.

“We’ve tried to go out and schedule major Power 5s across our scheduling system all the way out with the hopes that this would give us the opportunity to go play some really good teams. And losses won’t kill you when you start talking about top 12. You’ve got to have a powerful schedule and go play good teams.”

If this is to be the case, I'd expect scheduling of FCS games by higher level FBS to be curtailed.

Also...the Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12 have moved to 9 game conference schedules....will the SEC and ACC follow suit?

Reaction Score
Also...the Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12 have moved to 9 game conference schedules....will the SEC and ACC follow suit?

Yup, certainly not a good trend for independents. UCONN should lobby hard for a football only spot in the MAC.

The MAC commisioner was interviewed after we announced our decision to leave the AAC and he was asked about the possibility of adding UCONN football and he did not say no.

IMO this board overrates our current independent scheduling and underrates what an 8 game MAC schedule with 4 P5 games would look like. The MAC would give us a shot at a league title and a chance for a spot in the tournament. Western Michigan did it 5 years ago and so can UCONN.

Reaction Score
I wonder if 2019 Appalachian State at 10-1 and Sun Belt Champ would have made the 12 cut ?

Reaction Score
and as an OT aside,,,,

I will next week, for the first time, be coming through the fair state of Connecticut on my way to Bar Harbor....My GPS wants me to take I 95 through NY. and Boston..but I am skipping around by way of Scranton to Hartford to Worchester Mass. to Portland.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I wonder if 2019 Appalachian State at 10-1 and Sun Belt Champ would have made the 12 cut ?
I believe there were multiple tweets about what the brackets would have looked like in past years. I can't find them ATM, so based on the Wk 15 rankings after the CCGs, this is probably how it would have looked like:

Conference Champs
1. LSU (SEC)
2. tOSU (B1G)
3. Clemson (ACC)
4. Oklahoma (Big XII)

5. Oregon (PAC 12)
6. Memphis (AAC) (#17 vs App St. #20. Also, Boise was #19. App. St. would have been 3rd in line for the final auto bid)

At Larges
7. Georgia (SEC)
8. Baylor (Big XII)
9. Wisconsin (B1G)
10. Florida (SEC)
11. Penn. St. (B1G)
12. Utah (PAC 12)

Of course this is based off the CFP rankings and can be manipulated by the committee. I for one hope there is less human intervention, exceptions, and/or carve-outs, but we will see.

Besides, even thought they lost to rival Georgia Southern, App. St. won the conference. Why so greedy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom