BY'ers the team you're looking for is 20 months away... | The Boneyard

BY'ers the team you're looking for is 20 months away...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
… at best. And that team, 20 months away, will be one to fight for a conference championship and earn a good showing at the dance, but not contend for a NC. I think all the pie-in-the-sky expectations have been put to rest by now and you all know what kind of season this is. Let's get behind this coach and these kids and encourage them to keep on scrapping and fighting. Applaud their attitude and their heart. You are getting the privilege of seeing something that was done once before when the JC took over a moribund program and turned it into the best in the country. These days are the days that will forge future championships. Let's watch the overly critical analysis. Earn what you think you are, "The Best College Basketball Fans In The Country"

Reaction Score
Damn. 2.5 years away from just getting in and a win or 2 in dance- at best??? That long? I expect us to be definitely in bubble conversation next year and by two years I expect good showing in dance. Think yer shooting a bit low by a year or two

Reaction Score
After thinking about it the timeline isn’t that far off..Fall of 2020.
Next year Hurley will be starting year 2 with his system and we will be implementing new freshman along with losing our top scorer. I think next year will be like this year (Hope I’m wrong ).
Fall of 2020 will mean this years sophmores will all be seniors if they stay. Akok, Gaffney, Bouknight and ?? will all be starting their sophomore year along with ,hopefully, another strong freshman class. This could be a very good year.

Reaction Score
Next year my goal for the team is to have the defensive efficiency of this years Lipscomb and the offensive efficiency of this years Wofford.

Reaction Score
I think you're discounting the probability of our freshman coming in, syncing up with AG and Carlton and running train all over the conference

Reaction Score
… at best. And that team, 20 months away, will be one to fight for a conference championship and earn a good showing at the dance, but not contend for a NC. I think all the pie-in-the-sky expectations have been put to rest by now and you all know what kind of season this is. Let's get behind this coach and these kids and encourage them to keep on scrapping and fighting. Applaud their attitude and their heart. You are getting the privilege of seeing something that was done once before when the JC took over a moribund program and turned it into the best in the country. These days are the days that will forge future championships. Let's watch the overly critical analysis. Earn what you think you are, "The Best College Basketball Fans In The Country"

I totally disagree. Next year we will be a tournament team. And the expectations here are too low on the BY, not too high. Our conference is decent but we are already one of the top 6 most talented teams in it (although obviously unbalanced and flawed) and we are only growing to get more talented and and more balanced with a coach that has guys playing the way he wants them to and developing the right habits....Can important guys like Sid, Polley and Carlton improve 10-15% by next season? Yes, they can and I think they will. My hope is after this season we can start being fans again. These last few years we have just been miserable.

Reaction Score
AG, Vital Wilson/precious akok and Carlton with polley bouknight gaffney akok/wilson off the bench? Shoot, I’ll take that squad right now in a heartbeat over this years team-with those 3 guys still in high school!!!

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I totally disagree. Next year we will be a tournament team. And the expectations here are too low on the BY, not too high. Our conference is decent but we are already one of the top 6 most talented teams in it (although obviously unbalanced and flawed) and we are only growing to get more talented and and more balanced with a coach that has guys playing the way he wants them to and developing the right habits....Can important guys like Sid, Polley and Carlton improve 10-15% by next season? Yes, they can and I think they will. My hope is after this season we can start being fans again. These last few years we have just been miserable.
Say Kenny, do you play poker?:rolleyes:

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I think you're discounting the probability of our freshman coming in, syncing up with AG and Carlton and running train all over the conference
Don't you mean "possibility of our freshman coming in, syncing up with AG and Carlton and running train all over the conference".
The odds of all 3 players, ranked 57, 61, and 91, entering into college. Getting past the shock and awe of a DH practice, learning to play D1 defense and being physically strong enough to last in D1 basketball. Then being key ingredients to transform a mediocre team to glory. …. It could happen. I saw a movie like that.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
People actually like what the OP said? Forget about National Championship's? Be happy to make the dance? Are you kidding me?

We know good recruits are still willing to come here, we just need to make them a better team and stop losing them to injuries and transfers. I trust Hurley can do that, I trust we'll be back in the mix soon enough, I will never settle for being a first weekend program.

I'm thinking the OP is young and didn't live through the ups and downs of the program, and being young is a good thing.

Did you know? the game has passed us by many times over the past 30 years, we've heard this narrative before?

Did you know II? Jim Calhoun can't win the big one !!!!! remember that classic?

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
People actually like what the OP said? Forget about National Championship's? Be happy to make the dance? Are you kidding me?

We know good recruits are still willing to come here, we just need to make them a better team and stop losing them to injuries and transfers. I trust Hurley can do that, I trust we'll be back in the mix soon enough, I will never settle for being a first weekend program.

Who said forget the NC's. Sir, you have insulted me at my UConn roots. If duels were not illegal, I would call you out a sunrise.

Here's what I am saying, 2019-2020 we will be a much better team but not yet at the top of the conference. November 2020 is the team I am looking for that will be the team that generates the old excitement and the teams after that will be regular top 5 and NC's.

Willie Here's some history in 1996-97 we were 18-14 and did not make the tournament. (That could be like next years team)

In 1997-98 we went 32-5, but lost in the elite 8 (that's the team that could be like the team that is 20 months away)

In 1998-99 its 34-2 and a national championship (that's the future teams).

Reaction Score
Next year will be like this year except we’ll start getting glimpses of where we’re going instead of reminders of where we’ve been.

This, basically. Although... I do think with some progress from the freshmen, we've got a real shot to make things interesting late in the year... And that's kinda my take on the roster as-is.

If they can add an interesting grad and/or Achiuwa, then... could get interesting.

Reaction Score
Don't you mean "possibility of our freshman coming in, syncing up with AG and Carlton and running train all over the conference".
The odds of all 3 players, ranked 57, 61, and 91, entering into college. Getting past the shock and awe of a Dan Hurley practice, learning to play D1 defense and being physically strong enough to last in D1 basketball. Then being key ingredients to transform a mediocre team to glory. …. It could happen. I saw a movie like that.
No, I actually pondered my word choice and chose "probability" because I truly think it's more likely than not going to happen. It's an advantage of playing in a relatively weak conference now. Think about it: the ACC is, by all measures, a colloquial "tier" above the American. So for us, getting three top 100 freshman (who in my opinion are really all top 50 guys) is the equivalent of a near Zion/RJ/Reddish haul. Hence, I specifically said "run train all over the conference"; our non-conference performance will probably be good but not great.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
No, I actually pondered my word choice and chose "probability" because I truly think it's more likely than not going to happen. It's an advantage of playing in a relatively weak conference now. Think about it: the ACC is, by all measures, a colloquial "tier" above the American. So for us, getting three top 100 freshman (who in my opinion are really all top 50 guys) is the equivalent of a near Zion/RJ/Reddish haul. Hence, I specifically said "run train all over the conference"; our non-conference performance will probably be good but not great.
Oh, I see your logic. You just take our bottom half of the top 100 recruits and flip them up to the top half and then imagine that they are Zionn-RJ-and Reddish. that's very clever.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score

I'm thinking the OP is young and didn't live through the ups and downs of the program, and being young is a good thing.

Did you know? the game has passed us by many times over the past 30 years, we've heard this narrative before?

Did you know II? Jim Calhoun can't win the big one !!!!! remember that classic?
The OP has been a Husky fan since it was Wes and Kimball.

Reaction Score
Oh, I see your logic. You just take our bottom half of the top 100 recruits and flip them up to the top half and then imagine that they are Zionn-RJ-and Reddish. that's very clever.
It's just an opinion on a fan board you condescending tool

Reaction Score
It’s impossible to predict anything about next year without knowing if we get Precious or someone that good. It’s that important to have a quality big man to go with Carlton.

Reaction Score
We have no idea how good we are going to be next year without knowing AG's long term status. I think we are almost at the move on point with him. Anything he can give us is gravy. We should look for another Point Guard for next year. If AG isn't healthy I think we will be better and may even be at the cusp of the NCAA Tourney. Of course we are going to relying on a lot of Freshmen especially if AG can't go so that leaves a lot of unknown. Like the OP said it might be safer to say in 2 years we will be in the tourney even if some of us don't want to hear this. Hopefully the freshmen are as good and advertised and we make the tourney next year.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
It’s impossible to predict anything about next year without knowing if we get Precious or someone that good. It’s that important to have a quality big man to go with Carlton.

Yes we definately need a good quality grad transfer/JUCO big to go along with Josh and Akok.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Next year's team will be in the NCAA tournament. Book it. I believe it's a lock barring catastrophic injuries and we are overdue to avoid those. Win the AAC? We should be in the conversation. Can't ask more than that.

As others have said, the remaining open roster spots will determine just how good we are. But I have confidence they'll be filled with an eye towards winning immediately.

Reaction Score
Yes we definately need a good quality grad transfer/JUCO big to go along with Josh and Akok.
Not enough. Unless we get someone of Miller’s skills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom