BY'er on the edge | The Boneyard

BY'er on the edge

Reaction Score
For the past few weeks, I've been visiting the Boneyard (almost daily) and reading most all of the posts regarding the current state of the UConn basketball program. There are some posts I agree with and there are some I disagree with, it doesn't make either of them right or wrong, it's just opinions. I don't mind the banter, but what bothers me are the personal attacks.

We're all fans, no doubt, but we can also be civil towards one another as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't live under a rock and I'm not thinned skin, but there is a point where it's not enjoyable anymore. I love UConn basketball, it's my passion, I live anything UConn and Connecticut for that matter. I don't live in state so I don't know as much as many of you all do, nor do I have connections, I get most of my information about the program from here. I want to thank you all for sharing your information to us who are not as privileged to this information, I appreciate it!

Below I have written my thoughts, in a different way, about the perception I've gotten from reading many of the posts the past few weeks. It's my first try at this, so I hope you read it and maybe you can see some humor in it.

An encounter on the Edge

Officer Reasonable: ”Now…, now hang on a minute and let’s think about this and be rational here, things could be worse!”

Distraught BY’er: ”Oh…could they? How? Explain to me how my life could be better if I don’t jump from this ledge?”

Officer Reasonable: “Well…for one thing, you got to stop reading all those negative posts on the Boneyard, that doesn’t help any. Besides, there’s more to life than waking up every day and reading what so and so wrote on the Boneyard. For example, you like food”?

Distraught BY’er: “What the…..? I’m on this ledge fixing to jump and you’re asking me about food? Who taught you how to negotiate?”

Officer Reasonable: “Listen, I understand you bleed national blue and you live and die, not literally, Uconn basketball, but there’s more to life than Uconn basketball. Granted, not a whole lot more like…uh…um…yeah, food!”

Distraught BY’er: “What the….? Can’t you see I’m out here on the edge fixing to jump because Kevin Ollie can’t coach, he can’t close the deal on the top recruits, he hired the wrong personnel and the Uconn basketball program is in a death spiral and you’re asking me if I like food? Man, I’m dying out here…can’t you see?”

Officer Reasonable: “Wait, wait, wait! Who says Kevin Ollie can’t coach, can’t recruit, can’t hire and has the Uconn basketball program on a death spiral? Don’t tell me you been reading those Boneyard posts titled; Current Boneyard mood, UConn basketball, ”Sources” and The No-Backbone Yard, have you?”

Distraught BY’er: “Yea, yea I have, and what about it?”

Officer Reasonable: “Son, what is wrong with you? Don’t you know what an opinion is? Everyone’s got ‘em. Just because so and so says this and that doesn’t make it right, or wrong, it’s their opinion, don’t you get it? Now get down off that ledge before you hurt yourself!”

Distraught BY’er: “But…but what about what I think, doesn’t that count?”

Officer Reasonable: “Yea, it’s your opinion. If you want to express it, no one is stopping you from doing it. Be warned though, because you might get some major who says your opinion stinks, you don’t know squat, you’re not a fan and you don’t care about Uconn basketball, but, who cares, its only their opinion! Now, on the other hand, you may get a reasonable headed poster who understands what a personal attack is and doesn’t go there. They may agree with you or agree to disagree with you so they express their opinion on an adult level. That’s what this basketball forum is all about. Now, get off that ledge before you hurt yourself and let’s go eat some Connecticut Pizza!”

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem is that the weather is getting nicer, and the happier/ more optimistic posters might be out doing something rather than spending too much time arguing over the state of the program on a fan forum.
Even if my fandom is occasionally based upon false hope, it's a better feeling than the perpetual sense of doom.

Reaction Score
For the past few weeks, I've been visiting the Boneyard (almost daily) and reading most all of the posts regarding the current state of the UConn basketball program. There are some posts I agree with and there are some I disagree with, it doesn't make either of them right or wrong, it's just opinions. I don't mind the banter, but what bothers me are the personal attacks.

We're all fans, no doubt, but we can also be civil towards one another as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't live under a rock and I'm not thinned skin, but there is a point where it's not enjoyable anymore. I love UConn basketball, it's my passion, I live anything UConn and Connecticut for that matter. I don't live in state so I don't know as much as many of you all do, nor do I have connections, I get most of my information about the program from here. I want to thank you all for sharing your information to us who are not as privileged to this information, I appreciate it!

Below I have written my thoughts, in a different way, about the perception I've gotten from reading many of the posts the past few weeks. It's my first try at this, so I hope you read it and maybe you can see some humor in it.

An encounter on the Edge

Officer Reasonable: ”Now…, now hang on a minute and let’s think about this and be rational here, things could be worse!”

Distraught BY’er: ”Oh…could they? How? Explain to me how my life could be better if I don’t jump from this ledge?”

Officer Reasonable: “Well…for one thing, you got to stop reading all those negative posts on the Boneyard, that doesn’t help any. Besides, there’s more to life than waking up every day and reading what so and so wrote on the Boneyard. For example, you like food”?

Distraught BY’er: “What the…..? I’m on this ledge fixing to jump and you’re asking me about food? Who taught you how to negotiate?”

Officer Reasonable: “Listen, I understand you bleed national blue and you live and die, not literally, UConn basketball, but there’s more to life than UConn basketball. Granted, not a whole lot more like…uh…um…yeah, food!”

Distraught BY’er: “What the….? Can’t you see I’m out here on the edge fixing to jump because Kevin Ollie can’t coach, he can’t close the deal on the top recruits, he hired the wrong personnel and the UConn basketball program is in a death spiral and you’re asking me if I like food? Man, I’m dying out here…can’t you see?”

Officer Reasonable: “Wait, wait, wait! Who says Kevin Ollie can’t coach, can’t recruit, can’t hire and has the UConn basketball program on a death spiral? Don’t tell me you been reading those Boneyard posts titled; Current Boneyard mood, UConn basketball, ”Sources” and The No-Backbone Yard, have you?”

Officer Reasonable: “Son, what is wrong with you? Don’t you know what an opinion is? Everyone’s got ‘em. Just because so and so says this and that doesn’t make it right, or wrong, it’s their opinion, don’t you get it? Now get down off that ledge before you hurt yourself!”

Officer Reasonable: “Yea, it’s your opinion. If you want to express it, no one is stopping you from doing it. Be warned though, because you might get some major who says your opinion stinks, you don’t know squat, you’re not a fan and you don’t care about UConn basketball, but, who cares, its only their opinion! Now, on the other hand, you may get a reasonable headed poster who understands what a personal attack is and doesn’t go there. They may agree with you or agree to disagree with you so they express their opinion on an adult level. That’s what this basketball forum is all about. Now, get off that ledge before you hurt yourself and let’s go eat some Connecticut Pizza!”

Here's another one

Pessimistic poster: makes a joke.

Rabidly optimistic poster: how dare you, you are a bad fan and should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

An encounter on the Edge

Officer Reasonable: “Listen, I understand you bleed national blue and you live and die, not literally, UConn basketball, but there’s more to life than UConn basketball. Granted, not a whole lot more like…uh…um…yeah, food!”

Distraught BY’er: “What the….? Can’t you see I’m out here on the edge fixing to jump because Kevin Ollie can’t coach, he can’t close the deal on the top recruits, he hired the wrong personnel and the UConn basketball program is in a death spiral and you’re asking me if I like food? Man, I’m dying out here…can’t you see?”

Officer Reasonable: “Wait, wait, wait! Who says Kevin Ollie can’t coach, can’t recruit, can’t hire and has the UConn basketball program on a death spiral? Don’t tell me you been reading those Boneyard posts titled; Current Boneyard mood, UConn basketball, ”Sources” and The No-Backbone Yard, have you?”

Officer Reasonable: “Yea, it’s your opinion. If you want to express it, no one is stopping you from doing it. Be warned though, because you might get some major who says your opinion stinks, you don’t know squat, you’re not a fan and you don’t care about UConn basketball, but, who cares, its only their opinion! Now, on the other hand, you may get a reasonable headed poster who understands what a personal attack is and doesn’t go there. They may agree with you or agree to disagree with you so they express their opinion on an adult level. That’s what this basketball forum is all about. Now, get off that ledge before you hurt yourself and let’s go eat some Connecticut Pizza!”
Officer Reasonable take note, 90% of the personal attacks are coming from the Ollie Police, who attack like robots when a posters opinion doesn't follow the party line.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Here's another one

Rabidly optimistic poster: how dare you, you are a bad fan and should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!
More jokes, please

Reaction Score
An encounter on the Edge

Officer Reasonable: ”Now…, now hang on a minute and let’s think about this and be rationa--"

tumblr_o9g03mserT1tjdit7o1_500.gif

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Here's another one

That goes both ways homie. And right now, there's more pessimistic guys that optimistic.

We got a lot of things to worry about right now, but there's a few to be excited about too. Nothing wrong with pumping the latter reasons. People want to hope for something. No shame in that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
An encounter on the Edge

Officer Reasonable: ”Now…, now hang on a minute and let’s think about this and be rationa--"

I wish you would step back
From that ledge my friend
You could cut ties with all the lies
That you've been living in
And if you do not want to see me again
I would understaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

kick.gif

Reaction Score
I for one don't think there is any reason to consider hanging ourselves at least until we lose to a Wagner quality school. At that point I'll hand out the rope.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Here's another one

If it were joking then that's a different story
However, some of us, we know better

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Rational poster uses wink emoticon ;) to show he's being sarcastic. Irrational posters don't know what ;) means and personally attack me...........I mean him. Rational poster suspects irrational posters are old guys who don't get out much..... ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom