By the end of September | The Boneyard

By the end of September

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Post lunch talk with a person (25+ year friend and client) who would have better knowledge than most bloggers/twitterers, Uconn will know if it is in the final expansion group of 2 or 4 by the end of September. Timeline was outlined as final 2/4 notified before the end of the month with the Big 12 making a final decision by October 15.

His belief was that it is a 50/50 proposition at best with the Big12 on expansion and less than that for Uconn being in the final cut because of the TX perspective and deference to them (my word, not his). If TX says no, it is hard to get enough votes to over ride.

He also voiced concerns that the conditions offered to any expansion school by the Big12 would put the school at a competitive/monetary disadvantage while allowing the existing B12 schools to get more money and retain the ability to walk away in less than 10 years.

The most interesting comment, however, was at least one other P5 representative has been in close contact with Uconn. He was very circumspect about which conference(s) but felt that all of the work being done by Uconn/Big 12, including the media analysis, is being eaten up by another potential home for Uconn.

He also mocked my golf game, ever expanding gut and growing forehead.

Take this as just another small piece of info that I thought worthwhile enough to post.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Uconn will know if it is in the final expansion group of 2 or 4 by the end of September. Timeline was outlined as final 2/4 notified before the end of the month with the Big 12 making a final decision by October 15.

I am basing this prediction completely on how things have historically worked with UConn and Conference realignment.

But based on that, I would expect the decision to be that the B12 is expanding by 2 schools and that they have chosen Houston and Cincinnati. And I would expect this news to be "leaked" (aka released) at about 6pm on Sept 29th. That would be right before our only game on ESPN this year (the Thursday night game against Houston). This way, we would not only feel the pain of UConn's exclusion--but we would also get to hear 3 hours of the ESPN "experts" talking about how great the B12 and Houston are during our game on national TV.

IIRC, isn't that how/when the news broke on Pitt/Syracuse leaving the BE? If my memory serves me correctly, I think the news was breaking right as a game against Pitt was about to start at The Rent. Maybe my memory is wrong and I am permanently scarred from the past 10 years of UConn getting painfully dismembered by conference realignment--but that is my recollection.

So based on the history of UConn's torture in conference realignment, expect UConn to be left out and for the news to break right before our ESPN game against Houston on 9/29. You heard it here first! :)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Anyone else get the feeling that if the buzz was UConn, Cinci for expansion, then ESPN would bankroll the ACC picking us up so as to hasten the B12 downward spiral? I would feel more strongly about it is the ACC "network" deal hadn't already been announced.

Anyway good post @06029. By any chance does this guy drive a Range Rover and speak with a drawl?

Oh @UConnSportsGuy? Bite me. ;)

Reaction Score
IIRC, isn't that how/when the news broke on Pitt/Syracuse leaving the BE? If my memory serves me correctly, I think the news was breaking right as a game against Pitt was about to start at The Rent. Maybe my memory is wrong and I am permanently scarred from the past 10 years of UConn getting painfully dismembered by conference realignment--but that is my recollection.

So based on the history of UConn's torture in conference realignment, expect UConn to be left out and for the news to break right before our ESPN game against Houston on 9/29. You heard it here first! :)
Nope... The SyraPitt news broke the evening of/morning after our game v Iowa State if memory serves correct. I remember sitting at home that Saturday, after watching Coach tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber spit the bit coaching against ISU, and seeing JurichfromUL being interviewed on the sideline before their game, completely blind-sided (and pissed) about the news. I think a BE team (either WV or SU) was coincidentally playing at Maryland (then in the ACC) that day Marinatto was at Maryland for the game, and that is supposedly when he found out.

But I agree with your layout of how it will go down.

Reaction Score
I am basing this prediction completely on how things have historically worked with UConn and Conference realignment.

But based on that, I would expect the decision to be that the B12 is expanding by 2 schools and that they have chosen Houston and Cincinnati. And I would expect this news to be "leaked" (aka released) at about 6pm on Sept 29th. That would be right before our only game on ESPN this year (the Thursday night game against Houston). This way, we would not only feel the pain of UConn's exclusion--but we would also get to hear 3 hours of the ESPN "experts" talking about how great the B12 and Houston are during our game on national TV.

I just think we'll be left at the altar again. UConn is always in the mix, but there's always someone else who gets chosen. For whatever the reasons are, I think we will be in this rut ad infintum. It pains me to say that.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I just think we'll be left at the altar again. UConn is always in the mix, but there's always someone else who gets chosen. For whatever the reasons are, I think we will be in this rut ad infintum. It pains me to say that.

In 2011, we were a close #3 in a 2 team expansion of the ACC.

In 2012, we were a close #2 in a 1 team expansion of the ACC.

In 2016, it is looking like we may be a close #3 in a 2 team expansion of the B12.

Always the bridesmaid.

I expect us to finally get an invite to a P5 conference in 10-15 years...and then right before we are set to join the conference...that is when the whole "p5" conferences will blow up and start their own "division" separate from the rest of the NCAA.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score

But based on that scenario, that should mean that we'll dust Houston. I'll go with UConn 17- Houston 9

Reaction Score
Post lunch talk with a person (25+ year friend and client) who would have better knowledge than most bloggers/twitterers, Uconn will know if it is in the final expansion group of 2 or 4 by the end of September. Timeline was outlined as final 2/4 notified before the end of the month with the Big 12 making a final decision by October 15.

His belief was that it is a 50/50 proposition at best with the Big12 on expansion and less than that for Uconn being in the final cut because of the TX perspective and deference to them (my word, not his). If TX says no, it is hard to get enough votes to over ride.

He also voiced concerns that the conditions offered to any expansion school by the Big12 would put the school at a competitive/monetary disadvantage while allowing the existing B12 schools to get more money and retain the ability to walk away in less than 10 years.

The most interesting comment, however, was at least one other P5 representative has been in close contact with Uconn. He was very circumspect about which conference(s) but felt that all of the work being done by Uconn/Big 12, including the media analysis, is being eaten up by another potential home for Uconn.

Take this as just another small piece of info that I thought worthwhile enough to post.

"the conditions offered...." It's just shameful that we have been forced to kow-tow to the Texas connection. Oh yeah, and ESPN!! Only the sound of thousands of cutting chords make me feel slightly better. Sure hope the "other potential home" has a chance.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The "other" conference talking would align with someone from TCU said about a month ago that if UConn can wait, it has an ACC invite awaiting.

Source: Expansion Is Complicated, at Best

But, when it is all said and done, my source believes that simplicity is likely to win out. While some of the bigger solutions may look sexy, the likelihood that eight Big 12 Presidents agree on all the components of a big move is unlikely. As it stands today, Cincinnati is likely the easy 11th member while the debate over the 12th member will center around UCONN and Houston. My source believed, despite reservations, that Houston would win out. Also: "I wouldn't be surprised to see UCONN find a home in a Power 5 conference before the Big 12's process is concluded."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It'll be Joe Tessitore kissing Houston's nether regions for three and one half hours. Joe is the sports world's biggest shill and most insincere "expert" so who better than to cover this scenario. Ugh.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the post. But if we had a nickel for every date which was supposed to mean something, well we'd have aat least a buck. CR sucks.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
His recommendations are USF, UConn and ECU? ECU so that the ACC has a fifth NC school? Uh, ESPN will never let that happen.

Lol yeah. In his defense though he indicated it was a bone to the traditionalists.

Reaction Score

We need to know where and what you ate for validation... Was ketchup, pizza or sandwich involved?

Reaction Score

I'm not mocking you at all but why would your friend have any real knowledge of Big 12 expansion beyond anyone else? His information seems to be just his opinion, and the average person can reasonable come to his conclusion. Honestly, there's nothing here that makes me believe your friend is tap into any significant source of information, unless you tell me he's speaking with the Big 12 Commissioner or UConn AD. The media and your friend is reporting nothing more than hearsay. I also find the comment about another P5 representative being in contact with UConn ridiculous. How many martinis did your friend have during lunch?

Reaction Score

BTW, your "friend" isn't Santa Claus is he??

Reaction Score
I'm not mocking you at all but why would your friend have any real knowledge of Big 12 expansion beyond anyone else? His information seems to be just his opinion, and the average person can reasonable come to his conclusion. Honestly, there's nothing here that makes me believe your friend is tap into any significant source of information, unless you tell me he's speaking with the Big 12 Commissioner or UConn AD. The media and your friend is reporting nothing more than hearsay. I also find the comment about another P5 representative being in contact with UConn ridiculous. How many martinis did your friend have during lunch?
Take it or leave it.

I know who he talks with they are a lot closer to the situation than any tweeters and a lot of media guys. Ultimately, it is his opinion/ interpretation based on his discussions with others. I thought his specificity was unusual which is why I posted.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I had to wear a jacket and tie and put a napkin on my lap.

You can do that and still be at a place.
businessman-eating-junk-food1.jpg

Of course, you can always go casual when discussing conference realignment.
stock-photo-fat-man-eats-fast-food-while-sitting-on-sofa-at-home-203260648.jpg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Take it or leave it.

I know who he talks with they are a lot closer to the situation than any tweeters and a lot of media guys. Ultimately, it is his opinion/ interpretation based on his discussions with others. I thought his specificity was unusual which is why I posted.

So what's your take on the other P5 suitor?

Perhaps:
  • To the B1G - with perhaps a phase in for football to give them time to address the unbalanced fb schedule.
  • To the ACC - but hard to believe they didn't already have the data- hmmmm.
  • To the SEC (with someone else from the AAC) - the data surely would be new to them...and why not add a football road apple in the northeast that is competent at all other sports. <--ahh, this would never happen - those schools aren't coming north for anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom