Butler v. Seton Hall | The Boneyard

Butler v. Seton Hall

Reaction Score
Another awesome Big East battle taking place on Fox Sports right now. Fox Sports does a way better job with hoops than ESPN but does anyone think that the channel being in the middle of nowhere hurts them? I don't think the casual fan with cable thinks to check in the 400's for games.

Reaction Score
Another awesome Big East battle taking place on Fox Sports right now. Fox Sports does a way better job with hoops than ESPN but does anyone think that the channel being in the middle of nowhere hurts them? I don't think the casual fan with cable thinks to check in the 400's for games.
On our channel lineup it shows up next to ESPN in the HD section.

Reaction Score
The game is a great one. Crowd is lit up at home with a few to go. If we could get Gampel back to that excitement level, it'd be awesome. Can't wait to see what is in store next year. I think anyone looking for a game cruises up and down the tv lineup to find the best show, I know I do.

Reaction Score
Excellent game. Watched the entire first half on delay and then got impatient and turned in live with 12 minutes to go in the 2nd. Good back and forth game, but a gritty win for Seton Hall.

Butler can go far in March especially with their elite backcourt defensive duo of Baldwin/Thompson. A tough matchup for them would be a team with a stronger offensive frontcourt like a Louisville or Kansas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Creighton G'Town game is also coming down to the wire.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Seton Hall only knows one style at crunch time: Hero Ball. It worked last night, but it cost them against Oregon and Michigan State, blowing two potentially huge games with one insane play after another.

Reaction Score
Marquette throttled Xavier. Xavier will be a very beatable team next year as all their older guys will graduate or leave early. That will be a very young team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Marquette throttled Xavier. Xavier will be a very beatable team next year as all their older guys will graduate or leave early. That will be a very young team.

Why will the older guys leave early? I don't see a lot of NBA talent on that team. I am not an expert on the team, but I believe they only have 2 players among their top 7 that are seniors, and neither of Xavier's top two scorers are seniors.

It is always a crapshoot with a new coach in year 2, so there is the potential for decline, but they also could be fine next season.

Reaction Score
cant wait to be back in the big east. hosting schools like east carolina and tulane are terrible for home crowds to show up. even depaul is gonna bring crowds to our games and they would crush both of those teams aforementioned. the bottom of the big east would decimate the bottom of the AAC. just shows the difference in quality top to bottom and the uconn fans that pay for tix to come to the games know this.

Reaction Score
Why will the older guys leave early? I don't see a lot of NBA talent on that team. I am not an expert on the team, but I believe they only have 2 players among their top 7 that are seniors, and neither of Xavier's top two scorers are seniors.

It is always a crapshoot with a new coach in year 2, so there is the potential for decline, but they also could be fine next season.

Of the 4 upperclassmen two graduate(Jones and Goodin), and two are juniors who both declared early last spring and came back. I'd highly doubt Marshall the kid who hit the prayer 3 against us comes back from what i read from their boards. Scruggs it's a toss up. The other guys are transfers and frosh who have not been big contributors. I'd also not rule out either of the juniors doing the grad transfer thing. They've lost a lot of players lately. They just had a true frosh quit and transfer to St. Joes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The blown games against Oregon and Michigan State is why Seton Hall is ranked in the mid-teens and not Top 5.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of the 4 upperclassmen two graduate(Jones and Goodin), and two are juniors who both declared early last spring and came back. I'd highly doubt Marshall the kid who hit the prayer 3 against us comes back from what i read from their boards. Scruggs it's a toss up. The other guys are transfers and frosh who have not been big contributors. I'd also not rule out either of the juniors doing the grad transfer thing. They've lost a lot of players lately. They just had a true frosh quit and transfer to St. Joes.

Sounds like the players are not crazy about the new coach. I have seen Xavier twice and I don't think Scruggs or Marshall will ever play in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the players are not crazy about the new coach. I have seen Xavier twice and I don't think Scruggs or Marshall will ever play in the NBA.

Quote from X board re:coach yesterday after Marquette drubbed them:

Keep thinking about this thread.

"I know it was started as a joke - certainly treated that way by most everyone even as it serves as a place to discuss the state of the program.

That said, if we are honest about the coming months, the team probably loses a chunk of games down the stretch and misses the tournament. And it seems nearly certain that Paul and Naji aren’t here next year and then you have a team that will struggle to finish better than dead last in the BE. Then what? I won’t say it’s all his fault but three years and no tournaments, probably the worst season in four decades next year. How do you really let him stay?"

These are the bad times.

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch FS1's pregame today where they profiled Myles Powell? Always liked him as a player, but this is a first time I've heard his recent backstory.

* Entered Seton Hall at 250 lbs and recovered from two foot injuries
* Brother charged for murder in 2017: "There's a lot of sadness in my family and I'm a source of happiness for them."
* Willard is "like a father figure" and "believed in me at times when I didn't believe in myself".
* Two factors on why he stayed for his senior season: "Willard and my brother. My brother wanted me to be the first in my family to get that paper, the first to graduate college."

I'm in tears. Adds a new dimension for me to root for him this year and his NBA career.

(all quotes paraphrased from memory)

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Did anyone catch FS1's today where they profiled Myles Powell? Always liked him as a player, but this is a first time I've heard his recent backstory.

* Brother charged for murder in 2017: "There's a lot of sadness in my family and I'm a source of happiness for them."
* Willard is "like a father figure" and "believed in me at times when I didn't believe in myself".
* Two factors on why he stayed for his senior season: "Willard and my brother. My brother wanted me to be the first in my family to get that paper, the first to graduate college."

I'm in tears. Adds a new dimension for me to root for him this year and his NBA career.

Not doubting that this was an incredible feature, but Myles Powell was 250 pounds at one point?

Reaction Score
Did anyone catch FS1's today where they profiled Myles Powell? Always liked him as a player, but this is a first time I've heard his recent backstory.

Best player in the country and the best kid in the country. Just an unbelievable teammate.

Reaction Score
Not doubting that this was an incredible feature, but Myles Powell was 250 pounds at one point?
Wouldn't be surprised, he was pretty fat...
Powell-weight.jpg

Reaction Score
Myles Powell with 23 second half points on 9-11 shooting to overcome a 13 point halftime deficit against the Johnnies at the Garden. Butler getting killed by Depaul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom